ranking of local filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm working on a filter recommendations for some friends. I've put together a basic list of filters that are readily available in my area. It's possible that there could be some filter missing but but I've gotten everything that I can recall seeing in the local stores and even checked a couple of their websites.

I know there is always some risk in posting a list like this because naturally we all have our opinions about which filter is best and which filter should be avoided at all cost. But then again that's also why I'm posting this is case my options are off or incorrect.

So I guess what I'm looking for here is a good honest appraisal of this list with suggestions for improvement. I've tried to order the filters based on various factors such as construction quality and filtration ability, which of course can make raking difficult as one filter may have "better" construction but poorer filtration, etc. Also, I'll have to admit that I don't neccessarly know all the factors involved in those criteria either. With brands switching manufactures, etc, quality ranking can be a moving target; but I've done my best from what I've found on BIOG and other sites.

Ok here is the list:

Not-recommended
-Frame extra guard (the bright orange filter)
-Microgard
-Advance Auto store brand
-Value Craft
-Autolight
-Super Tech

Acceptable
-Puralator Classic
-Napa Pro-select
-AC-Delco
-Puralator Premium Plus
-Mopar
-Drive works
-Motorcraft
-Pronto

Good
-Wix/Napa Gold
-Puralator Pure One
-Bosch

High End
-Bosch Distance Plus
-Royal Purple
-Mobil One
-K&N

I agree with your rankings, but I'd relabel the "Not Recommended" section "Low-End", "Economy", or something similar, as they'll still do the job for reasonable OCI's.

No Fram Extended Guards (XG) where you live?

EDIT: Move the Drive Works to the lower echelon.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OilNerd
I agree with your rankings, but I'd relabel the "Not Recommended" section "Low-End", "Economy", or something similar, as they'll still do the job for reasonable OCI's.

Yeah good point, i'll probably go with "low-end" or something like that.

Opps oversite on my part. I tend to stay away from fram so I just kinda forgot about their medium tier filters. I'm thinking the Extended Guard would probably go in the acceptable category, thoughts?

Originally Posted By: DanielinTheLions

Opps oversite on my part. I tend to stay away from fram so I just kinda forgot about their medium tier filters. I'm thinking the Extended Guard would probably go in the acceptable category, thoughts?

The Fram XG's are well-built and designed for Extended OCI's. They would work in either "Good" or "High-End", in my book.

I'd rank their Tough Guard (TG) filters in the "Acceptable" category.

Just my
49.gif

When I had my Dakota I always use to visit the dakota forums and something that was always brought up was how the mopar brand filters were just a relabeled Orange cans of death Dont know if its was or still true. If someone can verify that it might be true I would say drop the mopar down.

Originally Posted By: DakAttack
When I had my Dakota I always use to visit the dakota forums and something that was always brought up was how the mopar brand filters were just a relabeled Orange cans of death Dont know if its was or still true. If someone can verify that it might be true I would say drop the mopar down.

I thought I had posted the MO-090 I had cut open, but I can't find it, so maybe I'm just going senile. Anyway, it had sturdy construction, and looked acceptable. Never heard anything bad about it's filtration, either, FWIW.

EDIT: Here's a MO-090 cut open from another member. Mine looked the same, except it didn't the wide pleat spacing seen in one of the photos.
BITOG: MO-090 filter cut open

Last edited:
I think some of these are filters that aren't available at the local stores here...or I could have missed them I suppose...I don't know all of their inventory. But feel free to list stuff i've missed and where you would rank it. We might as well make the list as complete as possible.

Originally Posted By: daman
Originally Posted By: Bayman
I think you forgot the Amsoil EaO Oil Filter.

And the NAPA Platinum

High end filters..

Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
Motorcraft is only acceptable? I thought they were pretty good?

I think they used to be a modified Pure 1 but then something changed recently. Maybe they should go in the "Good" category though, I'm not sure on that one.

Originally Posted By: Bayman
I think you forgot the Amsoil EaO Oil Filter.

And the NAPA Platinum

High end filters..

Yes!

Hi Danielin, I am very strongly disagree with your list that Fram Extra Guard is not recommended. I use Fram extra guard ph3614. It never leak oil and 5k OCI. You are making it look all bad. maybe the fram extra guard filter may not work best for your car.

Fram extra guard work best for me. Its cost under $4, and work best for me. 235,000 Miles.

Fram Extra Guard should move back to between good and high end.

Although Motorcraft may not be considered "high end", I would certainly rank them higher than "acceptable", especially for use on a Ford product.

Originally Posted By: moto94536
Fram Extra Guard should move back to between good and high end.

I had to remove one off of my car, due to it being defective.

They definitely aren't "between good and high end".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back