ranking of local filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the non-acceptable filters on the list are OK for short oil changes, especially with dino oil, where it is more economical. If you are using these filters with the best synthetics, be prepared to change the filters at the 5,000 mile and 10,000 mile stripes.

There is a trend for longer OCI's among a lot of drivers. If you just do short trips in town, you need short OCI's.

I agree with most of the list except for the following changes/additions (IMHO)...
STP - Not recommended
ACDelco - move to Not recommended
Fram XG - Acceptable (ALL other Frams - Not recommended)
Proline - Acceptable
Performax - Acceptable
Pennzoil - Acceptable
Quaker State - Acceptable
Valvoline - Acceptable
NAPA Gold - Acceptable
AutoExtra - Acceptable
Bosch Premium - Good
Denso (Toyota) - Good
Mobile One - move to Good
NAPA Platinum (WIX) - High end
Amsoil - High end

Last edited:
In general, I think your initial list is pretty close; but the problem with generalized statements about the quaility different brands of oil filters is that the quality of each filter is quite application-specific.

For example: My truck takes a metal spin-on filter with no bypass valve. So I pick a filter with good media/filtration, good construction/materials, and reasonable price, and I don't have to concern myself with bypass design since it is N/A for my truck. So in the end, I judge that Fram orange cans and Ecores are unacceptable for this application, while Napa Gold/Wix, Mobil 1, and K&N are preferred. I didn't like the PureOne or Bosch Premium on my truck, although they are excellent filters in general.

My wife's Toyota, takes a cartridge filter, and since cartridge filters are pretty much just media and end cap, I don't have to worry about can or core design. The Fram cartridge filter for her car is very well constructed - IMO, it maybe better than the Toyota and Wix filters that I usually use on it. Rumor is that the AC Delco cartridge for this car is just a rebadged Toyota (Denso) filter, so that would be equivalent to what I'm using now.

In the end, your friends don't really know what they're getting until they look at the various filters for their specific applications.

Made a few tweaks.

Fram XG is pretty high end filter in performance, construction and OCI duration.

NAPA Gold is better than acceptable.

Toyota Denso filtering efficiency isn't very good.

Originally Posted By: wag123
I agree with most of the list except for the following changes/additions (IMHO)...
STP - Not recommended
Fram XG - Acceptable GOOD (ALL other Frams - Not recommended)
Proline - Acceptable
Performax - Acceptable
Pennzoil - Acceptable
Valvoline - Acceptable
NAPA Gold - Acceptable GOOD
AutoExtra - Acceptable
Bosch Premium - Good
Denso (Toyota) - Good ACCEPTABLE
Amsoil - High end

Originally Posted By: danthaman1980
My wife's Toyota, takes a cartridge filter, and since cartridge filters are pretty much just media and end cap, I don't have to worry about can or core design. The Fram cartridge filter for her car is very well constructed - IMO, it maybe better than the Toyota and Wix filters that I usually use on it. Rumor is that the AC Delco cartridge for this car is just a rebadged Toyota (Denso) filter, so that would be equivalent to what I'm using now.
In the end, your friends don't really know what they're getting until they look at the various filters for their specific applications.

For the most part I agree with you, especially with regard to the new cartridge filters. From what I have personally seen, Fram sells a very good cartridge filter (it looks identical to the OEM Hyundai filter in my wife's car and I use them) while Purolator is a step down IMHO.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Made a few tweaks.

Fram XG is pretty high end filter in performance, construction and OCI duration.

STP - Not recommended
Proline - Acceptable
Performax - Acceptable
Pennzoil - Acceptable
Valvoline - Acceptable
AutoExtra - Acceptable
Bosch Premium - Good
Amsoil - High end

I would have put the Fram XG in the good category except that...
1. The ADBVs in the Frams have never worked in any of their filter models that I have ever tried (including XGs), and
2. Their recall has lowered Fram's standing even further in my eyes because it is a result of their trying to further cheapen-up an already cheaply made product, and
3. They are closing up their North American plants, putting people out of work, and moving much of their production off-shore (BOOOOO!!!).
I still think that the Denso oil filters are Good by virtue of their construction quality.
Also, as far as I am concerned, my rankings only apply to standard spin-on type automotive oil filters with bypass valves and ADBVs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DanielinTheLions

Ok here is the list:

Not-recommended
-Frame extra guard (the bright orange filter)
-Microgard
-Advance Auto store brand
-Value Craft
-Autolight
-Super Tech

Acceptable
-Puralator Classic
-Napa Pro-select
-AC-Delco
-Puralator Premium Plus
-Mopar
-Drive works
-Motorcraft
-Pronto

Good
-Wix/Napa Gold
-Puralator Pure One
-Bosch

High End
-Bosch Distance Plus
-Royal Purple
-Mobil One
-K&N

The advanced auto brand is drive works last I knew and pretty stout at that.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Made a few tweaks.

STP - Not recommended
Proline - Acceptable
Performax - Acceptable
Pennzoil - Acceptable
Valvoline - Acceptable
AutoExtra - Acceptable
Bosch Premium - Good
Amsoil - High end

I would have put the Fram XG in the good category except that...
1. The ADBVs in the Frams have never worked in any of their filter models that I have ever tried (including XGs), and
2. Their recall has lowered Fram's standing even further in my eyes because it is a result of their trying to further cheapen-up an already cheaply made product, and
3. They are closing up their North American plants, putting people out of work, and moving much of their production off-shore (BOOOOO!!!).
I still think that the Denso oil filters are Good by virtue of their construction quality.
Also, as far as I am concerned, my rankings only apply to standard spin-on type automotive oil filters with bypass valves and ADBVs.

Gotta rate the filter for what it is ... not what other models in the brand are, or if the plant is closing or moving or whatever.

Toyota Denso might be constructed well, but they don't filter very well. Filtering is the main purpose of the oil filter. That's why I stopped using Toyota filters on my Tacoma and started using PureOnes.

[/quote]

Toyota Denso might be constructed well, but they don't filter very well. Filtering is the main purpose of the oil filter. That's why I stopped using Toyota filters on my Tacoma and started using PureOnes. [/quote]

Filters do get better with age as they trap more particles, until they totally plug up. How about leaving Toyota filters on for longer oil change intervals?

I don't think Toyota would sell these if they were junk. On the other hand, if you live in a really dusty area a filter with tighter passages might be a better choice.

What do you think?

Obviously lots of opinion with this thread. The old Advance Auto Total Grip would go under the acceptable (very) category, as shown here. But it has been discontinued now, and I'm using my last on two vehicles. AAP no longer has a store name branded filter. The DriveWorks is it's value filter, looks well made, but it has no published efficiency spec.

As noted, the Purolator made Quaker State, Pennzoil, Valvoline, Proline(PB) filters would be similar to the old AAP Total Grip, as would the ProMotive sold in the AAP commercial accounts, and similar Group7, all acceptable imo.

Amsoil EaO would be added to High End and new Napa Plat., as mentioned. And there's many others including Donaldson that would be between good and high end imo, mostly because it uses a nitrile adbv. Fram XG would be high end-ish.

I'm sure you'll get much debate about the not recommended category. Even the not recommended would generally be serviceable for a 3-5k oci. Never seen an "Autolite" oil filter.

I mistakingly put the NAPA Gold (WIX) in the Acceptable category when I really meant to put it in the Good category. What meant to put in the Acceptable category was the NAPA Silver (WIX).

Last edited:
Thanks, all. Very good feed back so far. Yeah I expected to have some debate about the low end/avoid category, especially Fram. All the filters that I put there were based on basically on poor construction. Especially the Fram of which I've heard multiple stories of them coming apart mid OCI often ending in engine damage. Of course in an application with only the filter media they probably are great. My list was only a generalization.

Also the feedback about filters that have changed manufacturer or are not made are very helpful...it's so hard to keep up with that. I hadn't even heard of the NAPA platinum and I'm pretty sure the NAPA silver/Nascar has been discontinued or else my local store just doesn't carry it anymore.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Never seen an "Autolite" oil filter.
Although the OP spelled it "Autolight", there was indeed an "Autolite" filter. I saw them in Wally's a few years ago. They were made by the company that made FRAM at the time, I think it was right after Honeywell bought the brand. They disappeared from shelves not long after I first saw them.

Sidebar: I remember when commercials for FRAM used to have the tag line: "FRAM and Autolite are Bendix Companies." so maybe Honeywell bought both names.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Although the OP spelled it "Autolight", there was indeed an "Autolite" filter. I saw them in Wally's a few years ago. They were made by the company that made FRAM at the time, I think it was right after Honeywell bought the brand. They disappeared from shelves not long after I first saw them.

Sidebar: I remember when commercials for FRAM used to have the tag line: "FRAM and Autolite are Bendix Companies." so maybe Honeywell bought both names.

Autolite was Ford's captive parts division for several years, similar to Mopar being Chrysler’s parts division.

Ford had used the Motorcraft name with little success and purchased the Autolite trade name. In 1972 Ford sold the Autolite trade name due to antitrust concerns and returned to using Motorcraft. Bendix bought the trade name and it is now a trade name of the Honeywell conglomerate for spark plugs and wires.

Walmart has Fram make up some “Autolite”-branded oil filters for sale from time to time.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord

Never said there wasn't one, just that I hadn't seen one with the hope the OP would share where he saw or got information on them. I've never seen information posted on them since I've been a member. Doing a Google search of Bitog shows postings dating back to 05-06 with comments that they are (were) identical inside to an orange can. One 08 comment by Gary Allan (rip), saying Autolite doesn't list oil filters as a product. I don't recall ever seeing them on the shelves at Wally, and certainly not in the last 3-4 years at local Wallys in this area.

Fyi, both the Autolite and Prestone branded products were acquired by Rank Grp with the purchase of Fram from Honeywell.

Back to the topic, perhaps a less provocative classification than not recommended, would be low end.

I think one of the problems with something like this is that it's pretty model-dependent. One of the Wix filters I used on a Honda application was pretty lame; widely-spaced pleats and the media was half as tall as the can. I wouldn't use it again. Other Wix filters look really good.

Secondly, I really haven't seen any filters that aren't "acceptable". They all work, with low incidents of problems. There are certainly quality differences, and I'll pay more for a better filter. But any filter changed at a reasonable interval will work, even if it doesn't filter or flow as well.

The only two filters my car has seen are M1 EP and Purolator P1's. Lately I've been running the M1's because of the oil/filter sales at Autozone.

Never said there wasn't one, just that I hadn't seen one with the hope the OP would share where he saw or got information on them.
Didn't mean to imply that, sorry.
Quote:
I don't recall ever seeing them on the shelves at Wally, and certainly not in the last 3-4 years at local Wallys in this area.
Wally's was the only place I ever saw them, but it might have been longer ago than I remember. I is old...

Originally Posted By: Chris11
Anyone ever tried a NASCAR Oil Filter? I've seen them at Napa Auto Parts but have never used one.

I looked last month for one on-line through the NAPA site. It came up "unable to ship".
I called a local store and the guy told me the NASCAR oil filters got packed up and sent back to the warehouse about four months ago. Poor sellers I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back