ranking of local filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
My list of local's is similar but ranked differently.

Junk Filters
Fram Extra Guard
ACdelco
SuperTech (ONLY ECORE FILTERS!!!)
Microguard
Fram High Mileage filter
Darn Good
Purolator Classic
SuperTech (NON ECORES ONLY)
Motorcraft
Napa Silver
Fram Tough Guard
As Good as You Probably "Need"
Purolator PureONE
Wix/Napa Gold
Bosch
Awesome filter but a waste O'Money
K&N
Mobil 1
Fram Extended guard or what ever its called...
Royal Purple
AMSOIL

Last edited:
Quote:
Aren't all of the SuperTechs now ECORES?

The < 3" dia. ST's like the 7317 are not ecores. And last I checked there was one or two >3" dia ST's that were not ecores.

I looked at the Supertech in my size which is a small one, and it is a lot like an M1 filter except for standard valve and media, not a junk filter at all. A perfectly good oil filter. They seem to have corrected the center tube holes problem, which also affected the M1. now very well punched out, looks like a good flowing strong design now. Not an ecore in this size.

Gotta slaughter the OP's list. I knew as soon as I saw the Advance Autoparts branded filter (red one) on the "not-recommended" list, and the "Puralator" Classic on the "acceptable" list.

Not-recommended

-Fram
-Microgard
-Value Craft
-Super Tech (ecore)
-STP
-AC-Delco (ecore)

Acceptable

-Napa Pro-select/Carquest Red
-AC-Delco (Non Ecore)
-Drive works
-Pronto
-Super Tech (Non Ecore)
-K&N Pro Series

Good

-Wix/Napa Gold/Carquest Blue
-Bosch
-Purolator Classic
-Motorcraft

High End

-Bosch Distance +
-Royal Purple
-Mobil One
-K&N HP
-Purolator Pure One
-aFe Pro Guard D2

This is all very good feed back. One thing I will say though I see a lot of posts here that differentiate Ecore filters from non-ecore filters of the same brand. I that's probably a designation that will work for guys who get on bobistheoilguy.com. But I know that the guys I have in mind for this list probably aren't going to be able to tell the difference...or at least won't be interested in taking to that level. They'll just want to see the box and say "yep that brand will do." Unfortunately, I feel that means that any brand that could be an ecore will have to be on the not recommended/low end/junk filter list. So for some applications that could mean passing by a perfectly great filter because it could be a junk one.

Oh also, the drive works filter seems to be showing on the acceptable list for some and the junk list for others. My understanding was that it appears to be some kind of attempt to copy the puralator classic and is made in china. Can anyone confirm or deny. My thoughts were if it's any kinda of good copy of the puralator it's probably on the acceptable list.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Originally Posted By: sayjac
Never seen an "Autolite" oil filter.
Although the OP spelled it "Autolight", there was indeed an "Autolite" filter. I saw them in Wally's a few years ago. They were made by the company that made FRAM at the time, I think it was right after Honeywell bought the brand. They disappeared from shelves not long after I first saw them.

Sidebar: I remember when commercials for FRAM used to have the tag line: "FRAM and Autolite are Bendix Companies." so maybe Honeywell bought both names.

Never said there wasn't one, just that I hadn't seen one with the hope the OP would share where he saw or got information on them. I've never seen information posted on them since I've been a member. Doing a Google search of Bitog shows postings dating back to 05-06 with comments that they are (were) identical inside to an orange can. One 08 comment by Gary Allan (rip), saying Autolite doesn't list oil filters as a product. I don't recall ever seeing them on the shelves at Wally, and certainly not in the last 3-4 years at local Wallys in this area.

I was thinking I had seen the autolite filter on the autozone web site. But today I can't seem to find it. Just checked advance, and O'Rielly too. Maybe it was a fluke that I saw it the day of the OP.

Isn't this just a personal opinion list? I have used what is considered bad on this list for over 10 years with no issues. Engine is spotless and never had to add a drop of oil between changes. OCI was 6-8k on average.

Originally Posted By: BillyTheKid
Isn't this just a personal opinion list?

It's basically a general opinion/consensus of most members here knowing what they know from researching and reading hundreds of threads on BITOG about oil filters.

ZeeOSix is right it's just general opinion of the Bob is the Oil guy members. I actually started looking into oil filter quality with this oil filter study: http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/index.html but many members here have duplicated this guy's approach to the study or gone beyond what he did. Also the article was updated in 2008 so it's a bit dated at this point. So I feel like the information here is a bit more accurate and up to date.

I don't believe the list that daniel posted.. There is no enough information.

The bottom line is just use the filter that works best for your car.

Originally Posted By: moto94536
I don't believe the list that daniel posted.. There is no enough information.

The bottom line is just use the filter that works best for your car.

But you'd never know what filter works best without some technical information about them - like filtering performance/efficiency, and how they are constructed for high reliability during service.

Any filter will pretty much work on any engine without destroying it ... but nobody would really know what kind of internal wear one filter prevents over the other without at least knowing the filtering efficiency and construction details of these filters. That's what the common brain power of the members of BITOG have done over the years. They have dissected and researched almost every filter available today, and have come to a somewhat common rating of them.

Im pretty confused now, Ive been using either Napa gold or a P1 for the better part of two years now on my autos thinking i was buying the "best bang for the buck" as ive read on BITOG, seems like everyone here is sorta on the same page but not exactly.. i switched from OCD frams to what im currently using on advice from this site.. and frankly i never had a issue to my knowledge with the orange can frams..

think i will just keep doing what ive been doing. (wix/napa/P1)

^I'm about where you are regarding filter choices. If I performed extended OCIs, beyond 7,500 miles I choose a high-end filter. Anything less, on a non-sludge app, I use Napa Gold/Wix or a PureONE.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
Im pretty confused now, Ive been using either Napa gold or a P1 for the better part of two years now on my autos thinking i was buying the "best bang for the buck" as ive read on BITOG, seems like everyone here is sorta on the same page but not exactly.. i switched from OCD frams to what im currently using on advice from this site.. and frankly i never had a issue to my knowledge with the orange can frams..

think i will just keep doing what ive been doing. (wix/napa/P1)

yeap. I have been using fram filter ($3.77 walmart ). I change oil every 5000 miles according to the toyota.. 240,000 miles,and running strong. I study myself. It is better not to follow oil filter ranking from this forum.

Originally Posted By: moto94536
It is better not to follow oil filter ranking from this forum.

Hummm ... no so sure about that one.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back