Quick help:Majestic fireplace lighting pilot...

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK so we have a Majestic vent-free fake log burning gas fireplace.
Although a utility guy showed us how to turn it on a long time ago, I have totally forgotten how to do it. We've only used it once, and turned it off a long time ago and I don't remember what I did exactly.

I looked online, but all models from this brand seems to have different controls and knobs and I can't find one that looks like ours. (Ours has ONE knob for on/off/pilot/intensity control whereas 99% ones i find online have 2 separate knobs)

wife used it once, after the utility guy lit the pilot, but then later when she turned it off, it seems she turned it off FULLY, because earlier you could hear a faint hiss, even when it was not lit...

Before I fiddle with it, I thought I'd ask here first.

It has NO outside wall switches or controls. Right now, I hear no noises, no smells either, so it's completely off.

Here's an overall picture of 3 areas where I see some controls:

--Control lever/switch on front
--in the middle of pic, where a blue button is - is that the igniter ??
--and on the far right, I think it's the RED gas valve, and it's pointing in the direction of fireplace/logs, so I guess it's "on" ?

Here are closer pics of some areas:

MIDDLE area with the blue button:

the Control knob in front:
(what position is it on right now? pilot? I do know you have to push it in to turn...)

So, if someone can walk me through the steps, I'd be very thankful.

I also found this online....
http://www.ehow.com/way_5635702_majestic-gas-fireplace-lighting-instructions.html

Last edited:
(1) turn the knob all the way to the right ("off" mode, clockwise).

(2) locate the pilot light location.

(3) ensure your master gas valve (the one with red lever) is inline with the hose (that usually means "gas is on").

(4) with a lighted match or gooseneck BBQ lighter on hand and on-top of the pilot, crank the knob counter-clockwise to "light" mode. Depending on the design of the pilot valve, you may have to push the knob shaft in while keeping the pilot light to stay lit.

wait for 30sec before you turn the knob counter-clockwise to "high" or "low".

This should get the system going.

If your pilot light would not stay lit, repeat the steps (1) to (3) over again but this time: keep pushing the knob shaft "in" or stay on the "pilot" mode longer...i.e. 1 min and then slowly turn the knob to "high" or "low" and see if the pilot light stays lit and able to spread the frame ....

If pilot does not stay lit, consider having your thermcouple checked.

Also: if the flame burns extremely yellow or sooty, please turn it off right-away and get a technician on-site to clean it. Chances are: the dust and cob webs may have clogged the burner tube, causing it to burn yellow (sooty), which generates a lot of CO.

Q.

Thanks so much for trying to help!

- but when that utility guy turned it on, he did NOT use any BBQ lighter ot match or such; that's what confuses me ... he just used that front knob, but I can't remember if he did anything else..

And what IS that middle area with the blue knob anyway??

I also found this online...
http://www.ehow.com/way_5635702_majestic-gas-fireplace-lighting-instructions.html

which states:

"...Igniting:
All modern Majestic fireplace models feature self-lighting ignition systems. This means you will not need to light the burner by hand under any circumstances. Instead, the fireplace ignition system works in much the same way as a common gas stove. A pilot light will not remain permanently ignited but instead will ignite when the fireplace is turned on, in turn igniting the gas that begins to flow.."

ohh..ok.

In that sense: try the instructions you downloaded for Majestic fireplace (assuming self-ignition for pilot light)...not sure if that blue button is in fact, the piezo lighter but hey! Worth a shot.

Good luck and stay safe.

Q.

I don't know the brand of my gas fireplaces, the last time we used it was 14-15 years ago. I need to find out how to turn on the fireplace, if we have a party and my wife may want to have it on.

OK I pushed and turned the knob to pilot and held it - heard gas hiss but nothing happened.
I can NOT see a black or red button anywhere
frown.gif
so where the heck is the igniter then ???

(yeah that blue button doesn't push - it's not an igniter).

Here's another pic seen from the TOP - this of an area I didn't post yesterday (bottom of pic is front of fireplace)

-you can see the tip (top) of the pilot there...does anyone see ANY button ? I don't...
Perhaps I DO have to use a match to light it, after all?

Worst thing, I can NOT see a model number anywhere - just says 'Majestic ' on the front...

And their website doesn't work either...

We have a good chance of losing power soon, which means heat - this fireplace will be the only source of heat if that happens...

Again, thanks for all the replies and advice...

That white thing with the angled wire sticking out looks like the electrode of an ignitor. Does it have a wire leading to a pushbutton?

You may have one of those self energizing systems like my hot water heater....the heat will some how create enough energy to light a spark to fire up the gas line when it is called for. Since yours has been out so long, you just may have lost that energy circuit some how....but if you can hear a hissss, you can light it. I'd like to think that the blue button is what you hold down while you take a match and actually light the pilot light. You have to hold it down for a few seconds so that it gets the thermocoupler hot enough to activate. Just be careful, if you got hissss, you got gas.

As far as I know any gas appliance which has automatic pilot will NOT have a pilot setting on the knob. Either piezo electric spark or hot wire filament is used to automatically turn the pilot and then the burners are lit.

Yours looks like it has manual pilot. There should be a black button for the igniter somewhere.

I am at end of my wits - i don't see a darn button/igniter:

BLUE thing is NOT a button at all; doesn't move.

I took the front logs off, and took 2 more pics: anyone see anything ?? this button should normally not be hidden - I am starting to think there isn't one..

Follow that thick black cable from the the electrode that's close to the pilot jet. That's the ignitor. Looks like the cable goes to the box just behind and to the left of the control knob.

Last edited:
That box would be the source of the ignition voltage if that's where the cable goes. Does it have other wires going to it? Is there a cover for a battery? A button? Some linkage to the knob to activate it? I'm assuming the knob pushes in in the pilot position, maybe in addition to holding the pilot valve open it's supposed to activate the ignitor. Is there any sparking as you press the knob in in the pilot position?

If you really need to light it and the ignitor isn't sparking, you could press the knob in and light it with a barbecue lighter in a pinch.

No to all your questions, sir.
frown.gif

no batteries, no buttons, just the stuff you see in pics

I am gonna try a match....i guess i should...

Is the pilot the curved candle wick like part ?? or the other straight bulb looking part?
where should i hold the lighter (cig lighter) to?

I'm with Vikas on this part RE: manual pilot settings.

In your picture (burner section), the left-most device is your thermocouple where it acts as a safety device (heat on thermocouple tip will create millivolts that will keep the gas regulator valve open and your pilot light shall stay on, weak/old/failed thermocouple will not keep the pilot flame on, no matter how hard you try.

I guess you can still resort to following my instructions and see if you can light the pilot flame and keep it "lit"...if that is the case, then you are good to go.

If pilot flame goes off the moment you turn the knob counter-clockwise to "high" or "low", then you need to check the thermocouple.

Typically, HW store has thermocouple replacements for lead length of 18" 24", 30" and 36".

Good luck and keep us posted.

Q.

Also: based on the pics posted (that white plastic module behind the knob plate, vertically standing)...I suspect that your pilot lighting procedure requires pushing the knob "in" to trigger the piezo module (in order to jump spark).

Try it...alternatively, it doesn't hurt to do the manual lighting either (no harm done manually).

Q.

yes - i tried that white plastic module WHILE the knob was pushed IN - nothing; it just doesn't move and it just doesn't look like a button at all

Is the pilot the curved candle wick like part ?? or the other straight bulb looking part?
where should i hold the lighter (cig lighter) to?

Last edited:
Your pilot flame should come off of that brass cannon-like device on the right of the pic...

Thermocouple on the left...piezo sparker in the middle (that ceramic thingy).

Simply hold the flame/match in front of the cannon-like brass tubing end,while turning the knob to pilot.

Q.

OK I got pilot to light (using cig lighter) but let the knob go too quickly. I think it should be pushed in longer
Will let gas dissipate and try again.
Thanks! Will update again soon
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back