no gas at pilot light

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks, i have a 1 year old gas fireplace with electronic start (millivolt). i believe the manufacturer is lennox. for the last year, i have left the pilot light always on and turn the fireplace on/off when needed using the wall switch.

a few weeks ago, the pilot went out and i restarted it without issue. yesterday the pilot went out again after having used the fireplace all day. i tried relighting it as i did a few weeks ago to no avail.

the push igniter is working as i can see the spark. using a large matchstick, the pilot will not light either. in fact, i cannot smell any gas at all. i know though that there is gas coming into the unit. the gas line that feeds this fireplace feeds my bbq pit and it lights just fine.

so i would assume something(sand/pebbles) has gotten stuck somewhere in my fireplace unit that is keeping the pilot from getting gas, but i do not know the internals of these devices.

any advice before i call a repair person to examine?

I had similar problem with my gas furnace, the pilot light didn't stay lit I replace the Thermocouple I bought from Lowes for about $5. It works good since. Replacing the Thermocouple is very easy, all you need is a 12 mm wrench. Searching for "replacing furnace thermocouple" will result in many "how to".

In laymans terms when the thermocouple goes bad it does not send a signal to the gas valve to open and let gas flow to the pilot. The heat from the pilot energizes the thermocouple which opens the gas valve on a call for heat.

so i am still confused, if heat gets the thermocouple to open how will it ever get hot since the pilot will never get gas to start with??? i thought the thermocouple wasnt for the pilot gas, but for the "main" gas. my problem isnt the pilot lighting and then going out, it never lights.

thermo couples are one way. if they pop, they need replacement. But, a few yrs ago, I had similar problems with the pilot on a propane water htr. A liitle googling and I came up with an 800 # . I called and the lady on the phone walked me through a few things and the pilot has been on since.

Isn't there a button to press, that operates a spring loaded valve, allowing gas to flow to light the pilot light? Only then, when the thermocouple heats up, does the main pilot valve open up and stay open.

yes, you hold in the button and then hit the igniter (which does spark). when i hold the button in, there is no gas i can smell at the pilot light and neither the igniter nor a matchstick can get anything to flame.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Isn't there a button to press, that operates a spring loaded valve, allowing gas to flow to light the pilot light? Only then, when the thermocouple heats up, does the main pilot valve open up and stay open.

Exactly..its not the thermocouple. To make sure you have flow..try lighting it with a long match.

When pushing the pilot button and you still have no gas flow , most likely problem with gas valve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back