Sat 1/15 and 1/16 winter event in South Carolina

Its going to be interesting to see how it plays out. Will it be an event that takes down utility towers or just local power outages?
A lot of rain coming in below freezing temperatures, whether or not in my area who knows, it all depends how accurate NOAA is.
We are clearly well into the "advisory area" but extremely close to the Ice Warning Area. Just lit the gas fireplace pilot light in case the power goes out we may have to turn it on for the first time this year and who knows maybe for fun anyway.
Im a former NY'er but this is big for the south, local counties and government do not have salt spreaders and snow equipment.. After a period of time, the limited equipment for the interstate will have them salted but it takes time. Really the first event like this in years.
One thing for sure, A LOT of rain with this system, some place, some state I THINK is going to have major power grid issues. We will see!
Screen Shot 2022-01-15 at 10.00.30 AM.png

If the weather geeks are correct, could get very ugly. Already lost power for ~36 hrs with rain wind storm a couple weeks ago. Locale on a very weak, poorly maintained (from trees) power line right of way. First to lose power, last to restore. Hoping if precip it's snow, or worst sleet. Freezing rain worst possible option. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Last edited:
Since the competitive nature of 24/7 weather networks, the latest rain/snow/hail/wind/sun news must become HUGE, this freaks people out and amps the anxiety levels.

If these networks can't present the truth in a sober, sane manner, how is the viewer supposed to tell when the sky is really falling?
Some might suggest these shows adapt the Russian news network practice of having topless hosts, well I'm just sayin that something needs to be done.

Since the competitive nature of 24/7 weather networks, the latest rain/snow/hail/wind/sun news must become HUGE, this freaks people out and amps the anxiety levels.

If these networks can't present the truth in a sober, sane manner, how is the viewer supposed to tell when the sky is really falling?
Some might suggest these shows adapt the Russian news network practice of having topless hosts, well I'm just sayin that something needs to be done.
I don’t watch the news, one has to realize they are in the news business to make money, can’t make money if you don’t tune in and stay tuned in, no matter the subject.
So the common people in the world watch the news for entertainment and the news media gives them that. I think pretty darn scary.
I rely on the “source” and for the weather and that is NOAA.GOV
The map I posted did come from the local news outlet but that is a map of NOAAs forecast and here we are Sunday 11AM and amazingly NOAA.GOV was just about slam dunk 100% accurate.
Pretty impressive to be calling a forecast where ONE degree makes all the difference in an ice storm vs sleet and rain.
Pretty safe to say 10s of thousands without power and other areas with significant/sleet/snow in a state that see’s this stuff once or twice every decade.

My generator is ready, ran it 20 minutes today. The concern here is ice, start as snow, change to sleet and freezing rain but we are ready here.
Ready here too! Both chainsaws sharp and filled, generator full. Freezing rain supposed to start around noon.

Attachments

• IMG_20220116_113750429.jpg
    IMG_20220116_113750429.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 7
I don’t watch the news, one has to realize they are in the news business to make money, can’t make money if you don’t tune in and stay tuned in, no matter the subject.
So the common people in the world watch the news for entertainment and the news media gives them that. I think pretty darn scary.
I rely on the “source” and for the weather and that is NOAA.GOV
The map I posted did come from the local news outlet but that is a map of NOAAs forecast and here we are Sunday 11AM and amazingly NOAA.GOV was just about slam dunk 100% accurate.
Pretty impressive to be calling a forecast where ONE degree makes all the difference in an ice storm vs sleet and rain.
Pretty safe to say 10s of thousands without power and other areas with significant/sleet/snow in a state that see’s this stuff once or twice every decade.
Thats what i go with.

Weather.gov

First time "winter storm" for us in South Carolina. We moved to South Carolina from Midway (Park City), Utah.

My observation from driving to Church (and right back home) this morning is the risk is in the trees (attached is a pic of ice in our front yard trees).

Drove to church this morning seven miles away. What I discovered was large tree branches being weighed down into the roadway. Drove my 2wd F350 this morning, and I could hit branches regularly while driving. Some of these branches will break, some taking out power lines. Others taking out a vehicle.

BTW- drove to church and found the parking lot completely empty. Seems somewhat logical looking back.

PXL_20220116_164543240.jpg
PXL_20220116_164612683(1).jpg

Last edited:
GON - This is my son and daughter in laws home in Spartanburg. *LOL* He wanted to take his rear wheel drive cart for a spin in his front yard and do donuts then couldn't get back up his driveway ... an hour or two later and with the help of his neighbor he did... (I called him the appropriate name *LOL*)

20220116_094253.jpg

20220116_094856.jpg

Reactions: GON
In between my sons house in Spartanburg and ours in Extreme Northwestern Richland County they got it pretty good with the ice storm, lots of power outages, we just hovered around the freezing mark, Like you GON, enough to coat the trees but not much else. This is looking out my back door around 9:30 this morning
IMG_6161.jpeg

IMG_6158.jpeg

Last edited:
I live in Simpsonville, just south east of Greenville. We got 4.5''inches of snow overnight, and it's been sleeting since 10 am. The sleet along with 40+ mph winds has made for a interesting day. Thankfully, we haven't lost power yet. We're from Chicago so this isn't anything new to us...I anticipate the town being shut down for the next 3-4 days. Weather events such as this are very infrequent. About 3 years ago we got less than 2 inches.

My kids are loving the weather, I'm thankful I still have power to watch football!

Attachments

• 66404253212__3B18EC18-2002-4BEF-9DFB-DB264B0DFFB3.jpg
    66404253212__3B18EC18-2002-4BEF-9DFB-DB264B0DFFB3.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4770.jpg
    IMG_4770.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4784.jpg
    IMG_4784.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4805.jpg
    IMG_4805.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Does this winter cycloneacane have a name yet?

Sounds like the one that came through the PNW and finally made it your way. We just call them winter storms.

Back