Sat 1/15 and 1/16 winter event in South Carolina

Just looked up the GFS North Atlantic Oscillation pattern forecast.... Trending negative and going negative in the next 7 days... Pacific North American pattern is trending positive and becoming strongly positive in the next 7 days. . . We had a large scale pattern shift start to take place a couple of weeks ago. . Those by the way can be extremely hard to predict at times.

Ohh yeah... Could be fun.... :)

I love winter time forecasting.... It the toughest by far in my opinion. Separates the men from the boys and girls from the women.

Any World Champion can predict Hazy, Hot, and Humid in the summer time....

But it's far, far harder to predict where rain will fall, then sleet and freezing rain and then where the snow will fall.

Or where the storm will undergo cyclogenesis... And how rapid that process could be... Or where it will track to has well.

A difference of literally as small as 50-100 miles can make MASSIVE difference in sensible weather.

In my region aka Wakefield NWS and Raleigh NWS and even sometimes Morehead NC NWS they have to deal with #1 where will the storm form #2 how rapid is cyclogenesis #3 exact track of that storm #4 And forecast the 3 possible sensible weather effects felt from that storm....

Whereas forecast areas like say Sterling Va, Philadelphia Mt Holly, NY and Boston NWS areas typically know what's coming already.... Much easier up there because #1 and #2 are already done and set up for their regions.

Most local roads were salted early here (west of Greenville), like Friday morning. Fleets of plow trucks were out Saturday evening, according to TV news people.
I received an email from my cable provider apologizing in advance for any outage from this storm, which they say is named Izzy.
No cable or power outage here, so far. We have sleety snow, with ice underneath.
Yeah, up near the foothills (or better said "upstate" you guys have equipment and colder winters, not the counties down here in the midlands. Its a very rare event for sure so every decade or so when snow does stick to the road, you wait for it to melt the next day. You maybe like my son didnt get much ice, it was too cold. The big ice damage was the Newberry to Laurens area around here and other parts of the state that had rain but below freezing temperatures and not much snow and sleet..
A lot of the state rural and we arent a big state population wise either but Sunday morning over 80,000 people had no power so it was significant to them.

State government does take care of the interstates and had brine on the roads the night before but it wasnt needed, ground warm and temperatures right at 31 ish.

Last edited:
The storm track is certainly interesting, the way it horseshoed down south and is traveling up the east coast, completely missing the lake states for a nice change. Enjoy the winter wonder and most important, stay safe.

More mediocre media drama, that's all it is. We had snow storms when we were kids,drifts as high as our house.

It's winter and in a few months people will be back driving normal, like total idiots.
Oh, Ill agree with media drama, especially the so called news. People love to hear that everyday is a catastrophe. If the media didnt make it that way, people would not tune in. Actually except for a quick glance at the news everyday, I never, ever tune into it on a TV ect.

Now with winter, we only get snow here once every ten years or so, so it is rather unique to much of the south.
FYI, I moved here from NY so I know about high snow drifts as kids! I loved a good snow storm, still do really. But whatever. :( I realize we are not going to get one here. Though an ice storm can be jsut as bad or worse, still remember one onLong Island as a teenager or young adult 21years old maybe, wow, hanging out with my friends, just watching the sky light up with powerline transformers blowing up all over as power lines came down.

Very experienced in snow driving and did generally enjoy it if there are not too many crazy's out. Most of my stuff is AWD/4WD. The mighty Jaguar X-Type is pretty good in snow, as long as it does not start piling up under the car.

But, I'm in Jupiter, FL for the winter and avoided this one. I'll be wearing shorts today, as it will be 70° outside.

More weather hysteria.
Agree. Thank goodness folks today weren't around when I was a kid and walked two miles barefoot in the snow just to get to school. And then the schoolhouse was not heated. 😁

'So far'(knock wood) my locale dodged a bullet as far as power outage. Got mostly sleet as opposed to freezing rain, thus not as rough on trees and power lines. After losing power a couple weeks ago in rain/wind storm, poorly maintained power line right of way still has some trees leaning towards lines. Heard that power restoration crews not allowed to clear non contact trees as preventive measure.

To the south east Moore County especially city of Carthage hit hard with power outages. Have to assume lots of freezing rain.

Back