Quaker State SynBlend dexos1 5W30 vs SuperTech Syn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tonight was the first time that I saw QS SynBlend 5W30 at my local Walmart. Both the Pennzoil and QS SynBlend oils are Dexos1 approved, but the Quaker State version is $1 cheaper.

17698555789_bfb4a4f800_c.jpg

17885346351_867ca847c5_c.jpg

QS SynBlend = $16.97
ST Syn = $17.47

After reviewing this Lubrizol Sell Sheet on the performance requirements of Dexos1 vs GF-5, I think the QS SynBlend is probably the better product at this price point for the following reasons:

- Dexos1 has a significantly tougher standard for piston cleanliness
- Dexos1 has a significantly tougher standard for Engine Sludge Protection
- Dexos1 has a marginally tougher standard for wear protection than GF-5

While it is quite likely that SuperTech Synthetic is being blended with a higher-quality base stock, the performance level of the additive package being used in the Supertech Syn is unclear. An oil's performance in the areas I mentioned above are going to be quite dependent on the additive system being used -- base stock alone will not deliver those results.

So, at least from a performance level standpoint, I am inclined to believe that the Quaker State Dexos1 blend is the better product at this price point since it has been tested (by GM) to achieve a certain performance level in some very key areas.

With that said, it is possible for SuperTech Syn to perform just as well, but without the testing (or even the blender's own endorsement) -- we simply do not know.

What do you guys think?

IMO....The SuperTech Syn could be really Quaker State Ultimate Durability, full synthetic.

IMO.....Peak Full Synthetic, QSUD, Mag1 Synthetic and SuperTech Syn are most likely the same......

Originally Posted By: mongo161
IMO....The SuperTech Syn could be really Quaker State Ultimate Durability, full synthetic.

IMO.....Peak Full Synthetic, QSUD, Mag1 Synthetic and SuperTech Syn are most likely the same......

What information led you to that conclusion?

It all depends on the bottle shape of the SuperTech synthetic. The shape of bottle is what gives the clue as to who made it. If it's the Citgo bottle, that's an excellent oil. I've got QSUD in my car right now and it's not nowhere near as smooth as the Citgo was.

I would use the QS before I used the SuperTech. If for nothing else, the QS does meet more manufacturer specs the the ST does.

If my vehicle required Dexos1...

The facts are as you've stated, one meets Dexos1 and the other doesn't. Some here might opine that ST "may meet it but just hasn't paid GM for the license." Well, i would want the sure thing, not one that i guess would meet a certification. I'm here to buy oil, not make excuses for a company that doesn't list an approval on the bottle.

Last edited:
Valvoline SP runs MUCH cleaner than M1 or QS when tried IN MY SUBARUS. As evidenced by: consistent fuel mileage well above sticker, No decline in torque, and no varnish around the VVT mechanism visible through the large oil fill.
32+ MPG ave 70/30 highway/city in an awd wagon.

I can't trust the lubrizol "specs". Not saying it is bad or lying, just not verifiable. It would be great if those "specs" and graphs actually had "numbers" or a scale. Basically, this is the issue I run into with every "dexos" claim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back