QSUD 5W30 clear as water

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have use two different brands of HD 30 in my mowers this year. I noticed both were nearly clear. The O'Reilly was the most clear. I didn't think it was a bad thing. Like another poster stated, buy another bottle even if you have to go to another store and see what it looks like. The reason I didn't think anything about my clear oil situation was that it was that it still had the right consistency and I've not use many brands of oil to know that it wasn't just a brand difference.

Originally Posted By: faltic
Originally Posted By: Warstud
Maybe you got some of that fake Quaker State going around.

had not heard that, got a link? bought it at Walmart starting to worry now

Return it and get your oil somewhere else. There are many posts here of people that bought oil at Walmart only to find the oil was water or used oil. Sames goes for oil filters. I had my own experience with oil first hand. When I returned the oil the clerk didn’t even care. I got Castrol off Amazon for the same price as Walmart.

Here’s the link to where I posted pictures of the junk oil I bought at Walmart:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/4455669/Searchpage/1/Main/273001/Words/Walmart/Search/true/Re:_I've_Entered_A_New_Level_o#Post4455669

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PimTac

One way to confirm this is to buy a quart of the same thing. You can open it and check if the color is the same. Keeping a quart hanging around for top off is always a smart idea.

Jooksing, your situation is unique and likely the result of someone swapping contents. It likely has no bearing on the OP’s situation.

We'll see, won't we
smile.gif

The Valvoline Professional Series guy did a demo at work on one of my beaters. 2000 Dodge Stratus, 2.4 4 cylinder with 294,000 miles. The demo was of the Valvoline Synthetic Engine cleaner. It came in a gallon jug. You drain the oil, hang a new filter, pour in the engine cleaner and run it in the parking lot for 30 minutes. Then you do another oil and filter change. The guy guaranteed the compression would increase. We took compression readings before and after. Compression did increase 5-10 psi across all 4 cylinders. More on that later.

This engine cleaner is a Synthetic 30 weight oil with lots of cleaning agents. It was CRYSTAL CLEAR. Like corn syrup. Pure Synthetic oil is actually usually crystal clear, it’s the additives that give it color. (Usually, unless it’s Royal Purple!).

So about this “guarantee” of compression raising... turns out just changing the oil will also do this, and on the next oil change on the same car we took compression readings. Compression had settled back down to the pre-Valvoline service, changed the oil the regular way and VOILA. Compression comes up about 5 psi. New oil will improve compression through better cylinder sealing. The Valvoline demo just leveraged this fact for the “OOOOOH, AAAAH” factor.

Last edited:
The new formulation caused the change in color.

Calcium-based detergents are very dark in color; and QSUD used to used 2000-2400 ppm of CA detergent.

Now, the new Dexos-1 Gen-2 spec uses about 1000ppm of Ca detergent; and the rest is Magnesium detergent.

I've noticed D1G2 oils in general are lighter than they used to be.

The amber color of oil is added along with all the other components of a fully formulated oil to give it some color new out of the bottle. Without the color added, then most oils would be clear out of the bottle or nearly so, and then people that are used to that amber color would automatically think that they are getting a less quality oil cause it's missing something. The base oils used in modern day automotive oils are clear due to the purity of these base oils, Group II, II+, and group III.

And those color additives cost money. At one time, at cost per ounce, the color additives were the most expensive component of oil. But also was the least amount of additive by percentage or weight. So if they can get away with adding less color to a formula, then they might just do that.

Every brand of synthetic I've used so far (Toyota, Rural King, & Pennzoil) has been so colorless when fresh that it's difficult to see on the dipstick until it starts to darken---which happens more slowly than with previous cars and conventional oil.

By the way, clear is not the same as colorless.

Originally Posted By: Jooksing
Originally Posted By: faltic
Clear like water? Was there no color at all?

When I changed my oil to VAS I discovered that 5 quarts didn’t get me to the full mark on the dipstick. WM was out of VAS stock in quarts so I picked up VME instead. VAS has a light amber color but the VME is a blonde color. I noticed that right off.

Maybe your oil had some color to it? Clear is not what I would expect. How about the smell? Where did you buy the QS?

Went out and looked in the empty bottle, it had maybe a table spoon left inside and it wasn't crystal clear but practically clear to my eye. Defiantly oil, bought at walmart.

Not worth the risk imo. I had a jug of M1 from Walmart and it had seals and everything.Drove 1000 miles on it and it turned into jelly and messed up my engine. Just had the engine replaced.

Bitogers here argue who is at fault. (Which is pointless)
I would change out the oil for something that will give a peace of mind.

One way to confirm this is to buy a quart of the same thing. You can open it and check if the color is the same. Keeping a quart hanging around for top off is always a smart idea.

Jooksing, your situation is unique and likely the result of someone swapping contents. It likely has no bearing on the OP’s situation.

My point here is if in doubt change it out. After my situation I am super paranoid.

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
And those color additives cost money. At one time, at cost per ounce, the color additives were the most expensive component of oil.

Really kinda OT for oil, but still interesting since you brought up the cost of additives- the flavor additives for liquors (mainly vodka- mint, cotton candy, lime, vanilla, etc... come in extremely concentrated form in 55-gallon drums that range between $30-55 THOUSAND dollars each! Now that's a pricey additive!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back