QSUD 5W30 clear as water

Status
Not open for further replies.
The QSUD 0W20 I used last oil change on the Highlander was much darker fresh out the bottle. This 5W30 was practically clear buy comparison. I don't remember any oil I have used being so colorless. Is the formulation of these two oils by the same label that different? Any input appreciated. Thanks

pics or it didn't happen
smile.gif

Clear like water? Was there no color at all?

When I changed my oil to VAS I discovered that 5 quarts didn’t get me to the full mark on the dipstick. WM was out of VAS stock in quarts so I picked up VME instead. VAS has a light amber color but the VME is a blonde color. I noticed that right off.

Maybe your oil had some color to it? Clear is not what I would expect. How about the smell? Where did you buy the QS?

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Additive fallout?
27.gif

I always shake the bottle first for that reason and there was no noticeable sediment in the jug after I emptied it.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Maybe you got some of that fake Quaker State going around.

had not heard that, got a link? bought it at Walmart starting to worry now

Last edited:
I too have noticed that the QSUD 5W30 as are most other 5W20s & 30 are more clear with a yellow-ish tint to them however, I am having trouble seeing the oil level on the dipstick until it starts to get dirty.

Originally Posted By: faltic
Originally Posted By: Warstud
Maybe you got some of that fake Quaker State going around.

had not heard that, got a link? bought it at Walmart starting to worry now

If the oil you bought had the factory seal intact then you should be okay.

Warstud said:
bought it at Walmart starting to worry now

I doubt that Walmart buys much of anything that they sell from a distributor. That means they're buying direct from the manufacturer so there's next to no change of it being fake.

Quaker State has put up a new PDS as of 5/18 for QSUD on their website and the formulas have changed ( assuming SN Plus ) with bumped up viscosity...but I don't know if that could be the difference here or not in terms of color.

Any QSUD I've ever used has been a light amber but I wouldn't compare it to clear.

Originally Posted By: PimTac

When I changed my oil to VAS I discovered that 5 quarts didn’t get me to the full mark on the dipstick. WM was out of VAS stock in quarts so I picked up VME instead. VAS has a light amber color but the VME is a blonde color. I noticed that right off.

Maybe your oil had some color to it? Clear is not what I would expect. How about the smell? Where did you buy the QS?

Went out and looked in the empty bottle, it had maybe a table spoon left inside and it wasn't crystal clear but practically clear to my eye. Defiantly oil, bought at walmart.

Not a QS product, but still in the SOPUS family: with Pennzoil Platinum now I have a hard time even reading the level on the dipstick because it’s so colorless until it gets dirty. I think this is just the new normal. I really wish they’d start adding some kind of a dye to make it easier to see.

Last edited:
I've used some Supertech oil from Wal-mart that
was close to clear-sort of like vegetable oil.
It was their synthetic 5W-30.
The color of oil seems to have as much to do with the
additives then the oil itself.
'course, SOPUS does use GTL for some of it's base stocks
and that could be near colorless.

My 2¢

Originally Posted By: cheesepuffs
Not a QS product, but still in the SOPUS family: with Pennzoil Platinum now I have a hard time even reading the level on the dipstick because it’s so colorless until it gets dirty. I think this is just the new normal. I really wish they’d start adding some kind of a dye to make it easier to see.

Had the same problem reading the dip stick with the factory fill until it got some time on it. I noticed the QS stands taller on the dip stick so even colorless easy to read. I'm sure I'm ok here just was curious about the big difference in appearance.

Went out and looked in the empty bottle, it had maybe a table spoon left inside and it wasn't crystal clear but practically clear to my eye. Defiantly oil, bought at walmart.

Not worth the risk imo. I had a jug of M1 from Walmart and it had seals and everything.Drove 1000 miles on it and it turned into jelly and messed up my engine. Just had the engine replaced.

Bitogers here argue who is at fault. (Which is pointless)
I would change out the oil for something that will give a peace of mind.

Originally Posted By: cheesepuffs
...now I have a hard time even reading the level on the dipstick because it’s so colorless until it gets dirty. I think this is just the new normal. I really wish they’d start adding some kind of a dye to make it easier to see.

I've had that problem for a few years. Some dipstick designs make it even worse too. My wife's Fusion's dipstick is basically steel cable with a metal piece crimped on that has larger diameter cylindrical ends with a smaller diameter sleeve in the middle. That middle section is flattened with hatches and is where the oil level is supposed to be. Really, really difficult to read with fresh, new oil. Even on traditional flat dipsticks, new oil is hard to read. Saw a YouTube video where a guy showed a nice trick >> lay a paper towel flat and when you pull the dipstick out, lay it flat on the paper towel and then 'smear' it towards you or away from you. Keep the dipstick lined up though. Use the smeared oil to "see" where it is in relation to the dipstick marks.

The QSUD 0W20 I used last oil change on the Highlander was much darker fresh out the bottle. This 5W30 was practically clear buy comparison. I don't remember any oil I have used being so colorless. Is the formulation of these two oils by the same label that different? Any input appreciated. Thanks

When I used QSUD 5w-30 that is the only thing I found I didn't like about it. It took a couple thousand miles to get enough color to it for easy reading. When my UOA came back Iron only was 4 PPM I find it hard to whine about that. It went 5030 miles using measurably less than half a quart.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jooksing

Not worth the risk imo. I had a jug of M1 from Walmart and it had seals and everything.Drove 1000 miles on it and it turned into jelly and messed up my engine. Just had the engine replaced.

One way to confirm this is to buy a quart of the same thing. You can open it and check if the color is the same. Keeping a quart hanging around for top off is always a smart idea.

Jooksing, your situation is unique and likely the result of someone swapping contents. It likely has no bearing on the OP’s situation.

Originally Posted By: Jooksing

One way to confirm this is to buy a quart of the same thing. You can open it and check if the color is the same. Keeping a quart hanging around for top off is always a smart idea.

Jooksing, your situation is unique and likely the result of someone swapping contents. It likely has no bearing on the OP’s situation.

We live in a world of amazing knock off watches, passports, handbags etc ... those foil seals are dime a dozen on internet and bet people have figured out ways to cap it ... 9/10 people don’t look at that stuff closely ... at one time I did not

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back