PUP 5W30 quieted Toyota 2.5L startup rattle completely

If the rattle is related to oil pressure at a hydraulic chain tensioner, the oil filter could have an effect. Did you switch to a different filter?
I had startup rattle from the VVT- for several years on Chevrolet Atlas motor.I always ran Wix oil filters and I decided to try a Fram ultra oil filter,I was shocked startup rattle vanished!!

I'm betting Castrol Magnatec 5w30 would be silent as well... if you can find any @Zee09 . :p

Magnatec notably quieted down our Kia V6 at start up, there was nothing wrong with it, but it was always rackety at cold start. Gold bottle Castrol made it run quieter than anything I tried in 110k, but the start up king was Magnatec.

Based on those excellent results, I did what any good BITOG'er would do, I stopped running Castrol. 🤷‍♂️

A few months ago I tried QS 0w20 High Mileage and noticed a huge difference with the start up rattle being greatly reduced. Same engine but in a '12 Camry. Previously using TGMO then M1. UOA results were excellent and posted one of them on here. Thinking I'll bump it up to 5w30 next interval with either PUP or QS HM(same company).

you might find this yt interesting:

my oh my, for all yall who like hearing the grinding and the rattle keep running ur 0w20 or other subpar motor oils

if you want butter smooth startups on even the coldest starts, u gotta go pup 5w30

i completely even forgot i had a bad startup rattle back in the day, it was even promiment on m1 0w30

my oh my, for all yall who like hearing the grinding and the rattle keep running ur 0w20 or other subpar motor oils

if you want butter smooth startups on even the coldest starts, u gotta go pup 5w30

i completely even forgot i had a bad startup rattle back in the day, it was even promiment on m1 0w30
I don't think a certain brand of engine oil would stop that start-up rattle unless it was affected by the grade of oil. Mine only stopped with a good silicone ADBV. I've never had success with this particular problem using a Toyota OEM oil filter.

I don't think a certain brand of engine oil would stop that start-up rattle unless it was affected by the grade of oil. Mine only stopped with a good silicone ADBV. I've never had success with this particular problem using a Toyota OEM oil filter.
fair enough but i think that may be a misconception that truly is unexplainable. i used the same filter and it rattles with 0w20, or m1 0w30, and then its quiet with pup 5w30

Which Toyota / engine do you have?

Can't say I can explain why, but I've also noticed it does quiet some engines "startup noise" (Toyota 2AZ-FE being one for me, whereas on my wife's newer 2ZR-FE I notice no difference). I use FRAM Ultra filters on all of them (5 cars total).

Which Toyota / engine do you have?

Can't say I can explain why, but I've also noticed it does quiet some engines "startup noise" (Toyota 2AZ-FE being one for me, whereas on my wife's newer 2ZR-FE I notice no difference). I use FRAM Ultra filters on all of them (5 cars total).
I still don't see how an engine oil brand, PUP in this case can quiet the rattle of an oil control valve solenoid. Sure maybe some brands seem a little more quiet than others but it won't stop the rattle. It's most likely the locking pin or the ADBV is faulty and doesn't seal properly.

Back