PUP 5W30 quieted Toyota 2.5L startup rattle completely

You laugh at Rogie for he hears voices in his head.
Yet, you hear spiders barking.

I see beautiful, curvy Blondes in my dreams calling me over for a dinner for 2.
But every time I open their front door and walk in, I wake up.

Camrys, Corollas and Tacomas seem to last the longest for the Toyota lineup. Yet the #1 selling passenger vehicle on earth is the Rav-4. Also in the Top-10 is the Corolla at #4.

Mine keeps telling me to buy a geo metro and put a big turbo and methanol on it
If I had a Time Machine I’d buy one in a New York minute. You know a small turbo is not a half bad idea. A small Hitachi or Honeywell “Garrett” would do. That size car would be sweet 125-135hp/150ft lbs of torque. 6spd manual

If it's chain rattle I don't see where that could be considered normal.
Leave it, let it get worse and die, then they get to sell you a new car. That's normal right?. They don't want you driving a car forever, kills repeat business. My conspiracy anyways

Hey all got a 2.5l 2ar-fe in my vehicle and it had that bad startup rattle that Toyota says is normal. It would go away within 1-2 seconds and hasn’t effected anything. Originally was running 0w20 so I went to m1 afe 0w30 and I still had it. It may have slightly reduced with 0w30 compared to the 0w20 but it was still prominent.

So this oil change I found ultra platinum 5w30 on sale and decided to try it out. It’s been 3 days in a row and haven’t had any \ very minimal startup rattle. I honestly think pup 5w30 is perfect for this engine as something about the formula makes the rattle practically non existent.

Any ideas ? Or has anyone experienced similar effects?
Have a 2016 GS350 with the 2GR-FKS engine. 52,000 miles, bought used with 28,000 miles in 2019 car was serviced at dealer prior to my purchase so prob M1 was used. Observations on the recommended 0W20 .. I change at 4000 miles (cost, a few hundred per year extra is not going to bankrupt me) ... Amsoil, very smooth, quite but seems to reduce engine response and HP, M1 (as sold by Lexus, API SP) with the Toyota ad pac, top end is noisy but HP and throttle response are very good. Penzoil Ultra Plat .. very quite (top end noise reduced by at least half, way smoother on idle than Lexus M1 and more throttle response and HP (311) is restored. PUP in this engine is golden.

Have a 2016 GS350 with the 2GR-FKS engine. 52,000 miles, bought used with 28,000 miles in 2019 car was serviced at dealer prior to my purchase so prob M1 was used. Observations on the recommended 0W20 .. I change at 4000 miles (cost, a few hundred per year extra is not going to bankrupt me) ... Amsoil, very smooth, quite but seems to reduce engine response and HP, M1 (as sold by Lexus, API SP) with the Toyota ad pac, top end is noisy but HP and throttle response are very good. Penzoil Ultra Plat .. very quite (top end noise reduced by at least half, way smoother on idle than Lexus M1 and more throttle response and HP (311) is restored. PUP in this engine is golden.
oops .. meant quiet .. not quite

Does that engine have a VVT-i setup on it?
Edit: So I looked it up and it does have the VVT-i setup. On my 1ZZFE, it has it also and I also get a rattle at startup that dissipates after 1 second…….tried everything and the issue continues. I also was told that it is normal (?)…….time will tell.
Oil drains out of the passageways etc when the engine is not running.

a little over a month in and wow oh wow this 5w30 pennzoil ultra platinum is the quietness king
made the vvt non existent even tho others have mistaklenly said that oils can never make a rattle go away and that me trying to find an oil to mitigate the issue was equal to trying to find a needle in a haystack

im telling u, any toyota 2.5l 2ar-fe users, try this 5w30 from PUP. not any other brand, i tried m1 and it wasnt quiet. but this PUP makes the engine sound normal at startup

A few months ago I tried QS 0w20 High Mileage and noticed a huge difference with the start up rattle being greatly reduced. Same engine but in a '12 Camry. Previously using TGMO then M1. UOA results were excellent and posted one of them on here. Thinking I'll bump it up to 5w30 next interval with either PUP or QS HM(same company).

Same Ownership Company, but not the same add-packs and base oils. Glad to read things are quiet under the hood.
I'm working on our Kia returning to engine quietness. Valvoline and Pennzoil kept things a little quieter than how it sounds currently..... like a sewing machine.
Trying new brands and viscosities is constant. Next-up is Castrol Edge Euro, then HPL No VII 10w30..

Last edited:
Same Ownership Company, but not the same add-packs and base oils. Glad to read things are quiet under the hood.
I'm working on our Kia returning to engine quietness. Valvoline and Pennzoil kept things a little quieter than how it sounds currently..... like a sewing machine.
Trying new brands and viscosities is constant. Next-up is Castrol Edge Euro, then HPL No VII 10w30..
excited for u to hear back
honestly next OCI i will run edge 5w30 or a diff 5w30 that i can find on sale just to test all the flavors for this engine

a little over a month in and wow oh wow this 5w30 pennzoil ultra platinum is the quietness king
made the vvt non existent even tho others have mistaklenly said that oils can never make a rattle go away and that me trying to find an oil to mitigate the issue was equal to trying to find a needle in a haystack

im telling u, any toyota 2.5l 2ar-fe users, try this 5w30 from PUP. not any other brand, i tried m1 and it wasnt quiet. but this PUP makes the engine sound normal at startup
Running PUP 5w-20 in my 2.5. Very quiet and smooth.

Back