2015 Toyota 2.5L 2AR-FE M1 AFE 0W-30 ~8000 miles ish UOA

hey all here is a uoa from my 2015 2ar-fe engine. In the past I did a UOA of the unknown 0w20 that was in it so that is the comparison data. That UOA is the one labelled 11 SEP 23 and I have no clue what oil it was

This UOA is of M1 AFE 0W30 that came out of it with 8000 ish miles on that oil. Filter was fram endurance

I am not the best at reading these but can someone help with the wear levels + oxidation/nitration/sulfur. Oil is Mobil 1 AFE 0W30

I know it just says a check mark but this is a tractor dealer oil fluid analysis so I assume they don't comment much on gas engines

*I reused the Fram endurance filter so I hope it is filtering well since I just filled the engine with PUP 5W30 for this next oci*

Thanks!

Screenshot 2024-03-15 at 9.25.16 PM.jpg

Screenshot 2024-03-15 at 9.25.38 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good to me.

The big spread between P and Zn is unusual. Since both oils are like this, I'd assume it's an issue with the lab. I'd like to see fuel dilution and flashpoint as well, and they don't seem to test for Boron. Maybe try a different lab next time if you care about these things.

Looks good to me.

The big spread between P and Zn is unusual. Since both oils are like this, I'd assume it's an issue with the lab. I'd like to see fuel dilution and flashpoint as well, and they don't seem to test for Boron. Maybe try a different lab next time if you care about these things.
Barium & Boron have been cut-off from their screenshot. OP can you include those? You can also ask them to run GC method on the oil to test for Fuel. Let us know how it goes.

Yes, Boron and GC would be good values to have as well as TBN. What I can see from this report is the wear metals are very similar between the two runs. Either the first, unknown run was run to a very similar mileage, or the M1 AFE run produced less metal per mile. With the unknown oil and miles, we can't say. Also, we don't know the starting oxidation of M1 AFE, but if it's similar to most over M1 oils, it's probably around 8. If that is the case, then oxidation climbed by 19, which means this oil has had significant use. Oil Analyzers says a climb of up to 17 is normal, a climb to 20 is elevated, a climb to 23 is abnormal, and a climb to 27 is critical.

The unknown oil had an oxidation of only 13. Let's just say it's a typical oil with a starting oxidation of 5-7. If that's the case, the oxidation points to the unknown oil having significantly more life left than the M1 AFE. If that's the case, it probably has significantly fewer miles on it than the M1. If *that* is the case, then the M1 AFE run produced significantly less metal per mile.

I know, a lot of what ifs, but it's interesting to speculate. ;)

Looks good to me.

Yeah sadly no boron. It’s just a local tractor dealer. Maybe next time I’ll spend more on a diff lab

Barium & Boron have been cut-off from their screenshot. OP can you include those? You can also ask them to run GC method on the oil to test for Fuel. Let us know how it goes.
Sadly seems like they don’t test for the 2 B metals. It’s just a local tractor dealer. Will for sure take a look to see if they have that next time

Yes, Boron and GC would be good values to have as well as TBN. What I can see from this report is the wear metals are very similar between the two runs. Either the first, unknown run was run to a very similar mileage, or the M1 AFE run produced less metal per mile. With the unknown oil and miles, we can't say. Also, we don't know the starting oxidation of M1 AFE, but if it's similar to most over M1 oils, it's probably around 8. If that is the case, then oxidation climbed by 19, which means this oil has had significant use. Oil Analyzers says a climb of up to 17 is normal, a climb to 20 is elevated, a climb to 23 is abnormal, and a climb to 27 is critical.

The unknown oil had an oxidation of only 13. Let's just say it's a typical oil with a starting oxidation of 5-7. If that's the case, the oxidation points to the unknown oil having significantly more life left than the M1 AFE. If that's the case, it probably has significantly fewer miles on it than the M1. If *that* is the case, then the M1 AFE run produced significantly less metal per mile.

I know, a lot of what ifs, but it's interesting to speculate. ;)
Thanks for the in-depth reply. And my apologize that unknown 0w20 was probably run for 6300 miles ish I assume. I am certain the miles is super close but could be off as well since it was what was in the vehcile at purchase.

And yeah the oxidation for the M1 afe caught my eye. Does this mean the oil is technically done for and I went a little too long of an oci?

Thanks for the knowledge tho

Thanks for the in-depth reply. And my apologize that unknown 0w20 was probably run for 6300 miles ish I assume. I am certain the miles is super close but could be off as well since it was what was in the vehcile at purchase.

And yeah the oxidation for the M1 afe caught my eye. Does this mean the oil is technically done for and I went a little too long of an oci?

Thanks for the knowledge tho
Nope. Let's just say this oil's starting oxidation is somewhere between 8-10. Condemnation point would be about +25 over starting value, so 33-35. Your actual value of 27 was a bit under that, so I say you did not run this oil too long.

If M1 AFE oxidation starts higher than 10 (which it might), then you had even more reserve left.

edit:

Your M1 run had 10ppm total metals in 8000 miles. That's 1.2ppm per 1000 mi.
The unknown oil had 13ppm in 6300 mi. That's 2.1ppm per 1000 mi.

Honestly, both of those are outstanding results.

Last edited:
Nope. Let's just say this oil's starting oxidation is somewhere between 8-10. Condemnation point would be about +25 over starting value, so 33-35. Your actual value of 27 was a bit under that, so I say you did not run this oil too long.

If M1 AFE oxidation starts higher than 10 (which it might), then you had even more reserve left.

edit:

Your M1 run had 10ppm total metals in 8000 miles. That's 1.2ppm per 1000 mi.
The unknown oil had 13ppm in 6300 mi. That's 2.1ppm per 1000 mi.

Honestly, both of those are outstanding results.

thanks so much for taking the time for this reply and providing knowledge! i guess i did oil change around a good time and am happy to see good iron numbers.

If I had to guess, the oil likely thinned a bit then thickened a tad as it's still in grade based on both results and oxidation values.

Sadly seems like they don’t test for the 2 B metals. It’s just a local tractor dealer. Will for sure take a look to see if they have that next time
It appears your Cat test kit is lacking 6 oil elements from my last Cat UOA on a generator. All 6 of them aren't really needed but I'd expect to see Boron on a UOA. Different UOA kits are going to have different offerings & I see that here but If you don't care to see the Boron level in the additive package then just keep using them. It's not part of the wear readings & overall health of the oil is just fine for your 8k. Thanks for sharing. It certainly wouldn't be a deal breaker if I was getting a good price on the sample kits.

Last edited:
Back