2015 Toyota 2.5L 2AR-FE 0W-20 ~6300 miles ish UOA, 104k miles odo

hey all here is a uoa from my 2015 2ar-fe engine. i am the new owner now and just recently got the vehicle. I assume it has been running 0W-20 its whole life as per the old owner / oil cap. Vehicle has 104k miles on it and I estimate the oil had 6300 ish miles on it based on the sticker. I don't know brand of the old oil all that it was prob a 0w-20

I replaced filter and new fluid with m1 afe 0w-30, decided to go thicker now

I know we can't comment on the oil too much since we don't know what was in it before but can someone help with the wear levels + oxidation/nitration/sulfur

I know it just says a check mark but this is a tractor dealer oil fluid analysis so I assume they don't comment much on gas engines

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-15 at 12.21.48 AM.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-09-15 at 12.21.48 AM.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 138
  • Screenshot 2023-09-15 at 12.21.56 AM.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-09-15 at 12.21.56 AM.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 136
I think it looks good for an unknown fluid/unknown mileage, and makes a fine first sample to start a trend. Iron, aluminum, copper, and lead are all at very reasonable levels. Viscosity is good for a 20 grade.

Your silicon is at 11ppm. This is something I’ve seen other folks bark about in here, but we don’t know what oil this is, so no way to tell how much Si it started out with. Also, go look at the 20wt VOA database. The lowest amount of silicon in those virgin samples is 4ppm. So, even if we go with the most conservative example you’re at around 7ppm net Si. I’d be happy with that.

Same goes for the oxidation. No way to know what it should be without knowing which oil was sampled, but the value here doesn’t seem to be too alarming regardless.

Any particular reason you chose to go thicker? I think it’ll perform well, just wondering what made you want to go up in vis.

That's a really unusual looking additive package. There's nothing even close to that in the VOA Database. Very low Moly, and very high Calcium and Zinc for a 20 grade oil. It almost seems European-ish.

That's a really unusual looking additive package. There's nothing even close to that in the VOA Database. Very low Moly, and very high Calcium and Zinc for a 20 grade oil. It almost seems European-ish.
Possibly someone's own "Blend". :LOL:

OP: It appears the oil is still in good shape. We can't really measure wear levels since there is no basis UOA or mileage. Thanks for sharing though. Can you comment on who is the testing lab?

I think it looks good for an unknown fluid/unknown mileage, and makes a fine first sample to start a trend. Iron, aluminum, copper, and lead are all at very reasonable levels. Viscosity is good for a 20 grade.

Your silicon is at 11ppm. This is something I’ve seen other folks bark about in here, but we don’t know what oil this is, so no way to tell how much Si it started out with. Also, go look at the 20wt VOA database. The lowest amount of silicon in those virgin samples is 4ppm. So, even if we go with the most conservative example you’re at around 7ppm net Si. I’d be happy with that.

Same goes for the oxidation. No way to know what it should be without knowing which oil was sampled, but the value here doesn’t seem to be too alarming regardless.

Any particular reason you chose to go thicker? I think it’ll perform well, just wondering what made you want to go up in vis.

Thank you so much! And according to uoa I know I didn’t need to go thicker but I just felt like trying thicker since I wanted to stop a cold start rattle that is prominent in these engines + I like tinkering around ahaha

Hmm good to know apparently the last owner would take it to a indie shop and I called the shop and all he said was full synthetic 0w20 so it’s prob some cheapie bulk 0w20?

Possibly someone's own "Blend". :LOL:

OP: It appears the oil is still in good shape. We can't really measure wear levels since there is no basis UOA or mileage. Thanks for sharing though. Can you comment on who is the testing lab?
Thank you and sorry idk who tested it but I got the sample bottle from a local tractor dealer and dropped it off there to analyze I tbink they have it in house

Thank you and sorry idk who tested it but I got the sample bottle from a local tractor dealer and dropped it off there to analyze I tbink they have it in house
That would be something for a local tractor dealer to have a properly calibrated and maintained ICP machine, along with a properly trained technician to operate it.

And a viscometer, and an FTIR, and a Karl Fischer tester.

That would be something for a local tractor dealer to have a properly calibrated and maintained ICP machine, along with a properly trained technician to operate it.

And a viscometer, and an FTIR, and a Karl Fischer tester.

Ty on that note they probably send it to some lab

I assume I don’t need to send this to a better lab for commentary? It’s sometimes fun to read the black stone comments etc but seems like they won’t really call anytning out

Back