PUP SP

I could not resist $20 price for PUP 0w-20 on amazon, and just got it. Same problem, oil is fresh -- made on Sep 29, 2020, but its old label for API SN Plus GF-5. However, according to Pennzoil website:
Pennzoil GF-6 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum™ Full Synthetic Motor Oils: SAE 0W-20 is listed as the oil that met GF-6 on May 1st, 2020.

Can someone from Pennzoil explain why oil is still manufactured with GF-5 in September, when clearly in May it already met GF-6?

Is this a matter of label not being updated, but the actual oil inside meets GF-6/API SP already?

Can someone from Pennzoil explain why oil is still manufactured with GF-5 in September, when clearly in May it already met GF-6?

Is this a matter of label not being updated, but the actual oil inside meets GF-6/API SP already?
Did you contact Pennzoil before asking on here?

Yeah.... Sure... No one measured with exceptional accuracy fundamental Earth elements in the air back in the early 1800s, 1700s, 1600s and farther back.

Our "real" world observation record is exceptionally, exceptionally short.... Less than 150 years. And our hurricane observations are exceptionally short as well.... Even worse than the land records of observed temperatures. We really only have 60 years of legitimate reliable or accurate observations of that weather phenomena.

And don't give me how great computer model forecasting is....

They can't predict the weather exactly a week ahead of time. Why can't they do that?? Then people say they can accurately predict global mean temperatures all around the world within 0.1 degrees Celsius 30 or 40+ years ahead of time... Sure...

Last edited:
Reactions: pbm
I have read many a threads about PP vs PUP and have not found the answer either. Amazon has it but I generally prefer to go to the store and pick it up, unless it’s some boutique brand like the RL I’m using now.
LOL, same here.
The only thing I saw it has boosted levels of some additives to provide more cleaning, I suppose.... Given that they sell this stuff for almost same price as regular platinum (and sometimes for less), it tells me that there is not much difference between the two formulations.

Almost all the increases in CO2 and and greenhouse gasses, since the Industrial Era began around two centuries ago, have been due to human activity. There are twice the number of Humans the USofA since I was born.
This is Insane over-propagation.
Immigration.

LOL, same here.
The only thing I saw it has boosted levels of some additives to provide more cleaning, I suppose.... Given that they sell this stuff for almost same price as regular platinum (and sometimes for less), it tells me that there is not much difference between the two formulations.
Amazon's retail price of PUP on any given day has zero correlation to its additive levels.

True, but given that pricing is very similar, I would not expect major differences.
Again, retail pricing has nothing to do with it.
If you want to find a correlation of some sort of perceived difference, you'll need Shell's wholesale pricing to its distributors. Wholesale pricing is, or at least recently was, based on cost of production. And if one product is marketed to be on a higher tier than another, its wholesale price will reflect that.
The price a retailer charges may only be loosely based on their cost. Oil has been used as a loss leader for decades, so when we see it sold for what would be a normal markup on many other products, we think it's outrageous.

Again, retail pricing has nothing to do with it.
If you want to find a correlation of some sort of perceived difference, you'll need Shell's wholesale pricing to its distributors. Wholesale pricing is, or at least recently was, based on cost of production. And if one product is marketed to be on a higher tier than another, its wholesale price will reflect that.
The price a retailer charges may only be loosely based on their cost. Oil has been used as a loss leader for decades, so when we see it sold for what would be a normal markup on many other products, we think it's outrageous.

Its a good point, we dont know. We also don't know if there is any material (other than boosted additives and marketing) difference between PP and PUP.

Its a good point, we dont know.
I do know. Everything I wrote is based on first hand knowledge from being a sales rep for Pennzoil Products Company and then Pennzoil-Quaker State Company from 1985-2017. I don't participate in the wild speculation seen on this site.

I do know. Everything I wrote is based on first hand knowledge from being a sales rep for Pennzoil Products Company and then Pennzoil-Quaker State Company from 1985-2017. I don't participate in the wild speculation seen on this site.

Then maybe you can tell us the REAL price difference between PP and PUP for Pennzoil? And if you are Pennzoil sales rep, you should know if PUP manufactured in Sep29, 2020 is GF-6a compliant or not?

Back