Predictably...it has happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Tempest

It also seems to be OK to have dangerous products so long as they have "cultural presence for a long time" or are not "insidious in their basic nature" (define that one??). Safety not an issue with those.

It's easy enough to see for me. The market creates a demand for Potato Chips. It's found that an adopted process in making them is harmful beyond the "understood" risk of eating them.

Quote:

And antifreeze is a known POISON...
smirk2.gif
06.gif

"Dancing" around a point I didn't even make????

Was this always the case? Suppose I invented the stuff and my lab testing guy comes back to me and says, "Hey, Chief, this stuff kills all the rats if I give them more than .2gm/liter of the stuff in solution. I don't know the long term yet, but
21.gif
" ...and I say to use the stuff anyway at the survival rate and let the market sort it out.". There are plenty of examples of assumed innocuous or beneficial products that proved harmful and needed to be removed from the market for the good of the environment and the society. Most of our "miracles of the modern age" have a flaw somewhere in their makeup.

Quote:
fighting human nature is a losing proposition, it doesn't mean that you surrender to anarchy and chaos without a fight for civil decency.
In a thread about trans fats? Anarchy and chaos? Really?

Yes ..in a thread about trans fats. You reject any form of regulation. You even reference "natural law". You're the one who brought the "let nature (the market) sort it out" with no imposed... interfering influence into the thread. Don't cower from the rebound now, Brave Sir Robin
grin2.gif

It's for the general welfare, which under the constitution is allowed to be legislated for as long as their is a rational relationship to a conceivable government interest in the general welfare. This is how our gov. works.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: buster
It's for the general welfare, which under the constitution is allowed to be legislated for as long as their is a rational relationship to a conceivable government interest in the general welfare. This is how our gov. works.
21.gif

If only you hadn't confused "their" with "there," I would have sworn you copied Gary Allan's homework.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: moribundman
21.gif

If only you hadn't confused "their" with "there," I would have sworn you copied Gary Allan's homework.
grin2.gif

Touche

21.gif

THAT definition is cart blanche for government power which expressly goes against the idea of limited government and is THE foundation for the problems that this country has.
http://constitutionalawareness.org/genwelf.html

21.gif

grin2.gif

33.gif

Too much of anything is bad. However, without gov. regulation we'd live in an even more fkced up world. I'm glad we have an FDA and EPA etc. Sure they can abuse their power, but without them things would be worse.

People are the government. I have no more faith in corporations than I do government. If the market isn't resolving issues the way they should be, then in some instances gov. intervention is necessary.

Quote:
If the market isn't resolving issues the way they should be, then in some instances gov. intervention is necessary.

Yes. If they wiped their behinds in an ethical manner, you can send the regulators home. Unfortunately, low life's come in all forms and stations. I guess it's more "social" than other places on earth, but no less despicable.

Originally Posted By: CivicFan
Tempest said:
Quote:

You're not understanding me. NO health care paid for by the government. Veteran's benefits, etc. excluded.

Why do you exclude veterans benefits? Why not have a level playing field?
There is nothing paid for by the government it is paid for by money taken away from its citizens by threat of prison if not voluntary submitted to the government.

I agree with Drew and Gary.
I find it amusing that people don't trust the government, yet will worship the "free market" as if it's holy. Both are run by human beings(allegedly) and both with be used by human beings to get and do what they want at the expense of whoever gets in the way.
Either one not watched is often not a good thing.

Quote:
People are the government.

Note even close to being right.

Quote:
Unfortunately, low life's come in all forms and stations.

Including government. Gov. can put you in jail and take money from you in such a manor as stated in Steve's post.

NO corporation can do that.

Actually, butter contains only about 1/7 the amount of natural trans fat that partially hydrogenated shortening (not exactly a natural food) contains. Also, there is a difference between naturally occurring trans fat and artificially created trans fat. A little butter won't ruin your health. Why anybody would want artificially made trans fats allowed at all is beyond my level of comprehension.
Butter is probably GOOD for many people, in moderation of course, and assuming it isn't loaded with poisons that the cows ate. Immature science allowed marketers to sell us low-fat bunk for so long, then how bad butter and eggs are (without qualification), etc.

If they have guts to continue this trend (of banning harmful transfat) they should ban corn syrup too, for the nation's health.
27.gif

Last edited:
Quote:

How so?

Don't pay your taxes for a while and see how much of the government you are.

Quote:

How so?

Don't pay your taxes for a while and see how much of the government you are.

Don't pay your taxes and you will become one with the government, including free room and board.

Including government. Gov. can put you in jail and take money from you in such a manor as stated in Steve's post.

Its obvious that you fear an organized Government. Have you or any of your neighbors been dragged away in the dead of night and thrown in jail? There are a number of countries in Africa that have no government..have you thought of going to one of those?

And actually sentences of your peers puts you in jail. Electric Utilities can take your money..try not paying sometime.

Last edited:

Quote:
Unfortunately, low life's come in all forms and stations.

No, but a corporate decision can lay my life to waste just as easily as a smart bomb.

Quote:
No, but a corporate decision can lay my life to waste just as easily as a smart bomb.

Whatever things like this that apply to a corporation can easily be applied to government at a 10X scale.
Government is run by people that have won popularity contests. That is all. Winning those contests does not impart expertise in any area nor does it impart altruistic motivations and competence.
It does impart power over people, which tends be addictive, and the ability to spend others money...in ways that make them more popular...
Kinda' cyclical, eh?
Quote:
Its obvious that you fear an organized Government.

So did the founding fathers of this country. They must have been nut cases.
Quote:
Have you or any of your neighbors been dragged away in the dead of night and thrown in jail?

They probably said the same thing before the 1932 elections in Germany.

Quote:
Electric Utilities can take your money..try not paying sometime.

I would love to see a case of someone thrown in jail for electing not to use electric utilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back