Predictably...it has happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have the food police here in Canada already.

It's a good thing as we are too stupid to chose wisely on our own.
08.gif

I love this quote:

"When it comes to heart disease and diabetes, communities of color are leading the way," Mendoza said. "I figured that the use of trans fats in our restaurants is a leading contributor to that."

"I figured"

I'm sure happy he's done all his figuring. 'communities of color' are made up of teenage mothers, gangs, poverty, a crack epidemic, and 70% of households are single parent, and he's worried about heart disease. genius.

Originally Posted By: mpvue

I'm sure happy he's done all his figuring. 'communities of color' are made up of teenage mothers, gangs, poverty, a crack epidemic, and 70% of households are single parent, and he's worried about heart disease. genius.

Well put!

Yep I guess there aren't other more relevant and important issues out there that need attention.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/07/15/MN0111OTUA.DTL
Quote:
California is poised to become the first state in the nation to ban restaurants and other food facilities from using trans fats, which are known to increase the risk of heart disease, under a bill approved by the state Legislature Monday and sent to the governor.

The food police are coming.

Please, launch a protest by eating foods high in trans fat.
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: moribundman
Quote:
California is poised to become the first state in the nation to ban restaurants and other food facilities from using trans fats, which are known to increase the risk of heart disease, under a bill approved by the state Legislature Monday and sent to the governor.

Please, launch a protest by eating foods high in tans fat.
LOL.gif

Put your anger where you mouth is - eat a stick of butter daily Tempest.

We should bring back lead paint. And get rid of the FDA.

I hope it happens here soon; I'll have one less reason to avoid restaurants. There's no reason for edible hydrogenated oils to exist other than to save a nickel on the cost of the meal.

I noticed McDonalds fries are now low in trans fats so I ate some the other day for the first time in years. They don't taste as good as they used to, but I don't think the non-hydrogenated oil is entirely to blame, as New York Fries are trans fat free and taste better than any other fries I've tried.

Quote:

Quite nice. I wish they did that in Indiana. Maybe in 20 years when the rest of the states in the union are done adopting such laws.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
Quote:

Please, launch a protest by eating foods high in tans fat.
LOL.gif

I'm doing my part! I figure that if I get my bypass surgery earlier on, it will save the society money when factored against giving me 30minutes more of very expensive life extension. It's a shame I don't drink regular ..but all the diet nasties?? Sure! You'll live as long as you're supposed to anyway.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT

Put your anger where you mouth is - eat a stick of butter daily Tempest.

We should bring back lead paint. And get rid of the FDA.

I will after you stand if front of bus or stick your toungue in light socket. Both of which are perfectly legal.

Last edited:
eat a stick of butter daily

Actually, butter contains only about 1/7 the amount of natural trans fat that partially hydrogenated shortening (not exactly a natural food) contains. Also, there is a difference between naturally occurring trans fat and artificially created trans fat. A little butter won't ruin your health. Why anybody would want artificially made trans fats allowed at all is beyond my level of comprehension.

"Unlike other dietary fats, trans fats are neither essential nor salubrious[1] and, in fact, the consumption of trans fats increases one's risk of coronary heart disease[2] by raising levels of "bad" LDL cholesterol and lowering levels of "good" HDL cholesterol. [3] Health authorities worldwide recommend that consumption of trans fat be reduced to trace amounts."

I too wish they would ban the use of trans fat in CO. You can't hardly find a product made that doesn't say 0 grams of trans fat on the label.

More than anything, they're banning it to reduce health costs. Sounds like a win win, but if you live in a theoretical world where you don't want govnmt intervention for anything, then leaded gas is wonderful.

There is a loophole in the labeling of the trans fats. If the amount is less than 0.5 grams per serving, the manufacturer can put zero grams of trans fat in the nutritional information box. So it's always good to look in the ingredients list for hydrogenated oils and fats.

More than anything, they're banning it to reduce health costs. Sounds like a win win, but if you live in a theoretical world where you don't want govnmt intervention for anything, then leaded gas is wonderful.

Used motor oil is a known carcinogen, pollutes the water table, and is just generally yucky. We should ban that.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
You'll live as long as you're supposed to anyway.

Even if you believe this in a completely fatalistic way of thinking, Wotan will smite you at his whim, you must admit that quality of life is important. I'd do anything to avoid being 50 but looking and feeling 70, with high blood pressure, diabetes, a toxic liver, gout, arthritis, and early onset Alzheimer. One has to realize that living fairly healthy in those areas where one has control isn't even a sacrifice. Too many people have just poor taste, having been raised on cheap junk, and they just can't taste beyond their limited experience. When I see a tv commercial* in which a little child refuses to eat anything but a power shake that mom gladly supplies, then it's clear to me where this society is in terms of common sense, sense of responsibility, and sense of taste.

One can surely affect the feeling of well-being, the chance of contracting civilization diseases, and oen's life expectancy by making good choices when it comes to lifestyle choices, which include of course food intake.

*I forget for which product that commercial is, but it makes me cringe when I see it.

[Used motor oil is a known carcinogen, pollutes the water table, and is just generally yucky. We should ban that.

You should cook with it.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Good riddance - but why the flack do we need the government to do this stuff? Wake and don't eat this chkhrap and it will go away.

The plebs is uninformed, uninterested, and lacks common or even any sense. They got their mouthes wide open, ready to shove any garbage down their gullet. The food industry takes advantage of those who don't know or care, which makes the food industry also guilty. If people's bad choices weren't costing the rest of us so much, I would not care what adults do to themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back