Feds may seize parks

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few lines down...

Quote:
Portions of six other parks that used to be owned by the federal government but were transferred to the state could be taken back if they were closed, said David Siegenthaler, the project manager for two National Park Service programs that provide money to the California State Parks.

So, what was your point?

I guess they could just print up some more IOU coupons to make up for it. Wonder how long it will be before we hear about counterfeit IOU coupons.

Quote:
So, what was your point?

That the Fed's may seize parks that belong to the state.

If it can be taken from you, you don't own it.

So you would rather see them closed? Plus, these were federal parks in the past.

Originally Posted By: CivicFan
So you would rather see them closed? Plus, these were federal parks in the past.

Yes, and you'd have no problem with the people that owned your house before you moving back in?

Originally Posted By: Tempest

Yes, and you'd have no problem with the people that owned your house before you moving back in?

If they gave it to me for nothing and I couldn't use it anymore ...
21.gif

These were divestitures or acquisitions negotiated between the state and the federal government. (my speculation) The federal government wanted to stop funding the respective parks and close them. California reasoned that they generated enough revenue to more than justify the costs of maintaining them. Now the situation is reversed, yet the same economics are governing the evolution ..albeit in an inverted and "avoided losses" view.

Why is this so sinister?

Not a good analogy. These parks are public property to benefit the public.

But you knew that.

Not a good analogy. These parks are public property to benefit the public.

But you knew that.

I see. So if the state can't properly fund it's schools, police departments, fire departments, prisons, hospitals and roads then the federal government should move in and take them over?

They are all public property to benefit the public.

This is perhaps your weakest argument so far...

If the feds had custody of these services then the answer is 'definitely'.

If the other services were on the state, county or local level then the best solution is for the feds to lend a helping hand through grants or loans. The disruption of the services you mention can be catastrophic for the community. Imagine even one fire that cannot be extinguished or worse yet, people died, because the fire department closed down.

Quote:
So if the state can't properly fund it's schools, police departments, fire departments, prisons, hospitals and roads then the federal government should move in and take them over?

Absolutely not!! You just close them and leave them dysfunctional. no ticky ..no washy ...the you have another Watts or Rodney King class riot and the loss to Wall St. & Co. takes precedence over the whole thing ...blah..blah..blah.

Quote:

If the feds had "custody" (whatever that means in this context) then the state wouldn't be responsible for it in the fist place. So I'm not sure of your point here.
Quote:
If the other services were on the state, county or local level then the best solution is for the feds to lend a helping hand through grants or loans.

So the tax payers in other, responsible states should be forced to bailout the spend happy state of California?
You live in Mid West, do you feel happy about paying for roads and parks in California? Is that just?

Quote:
you have another Watts or Rodney King class riot

I was there for the last one. The police were fully funded then. Didn't seem to make much difference.

Quote:

If the feds had "custody" (whatever that means in this context) then the state wouldn't be responsible for it in the fist place. So I'm not sure of your point here.
Quote:
If the other services were on the state, county or local level then the best solution is for the feds to lend a helping hand through grants or loans.

So the tax payers in other, responsible states should be forced to bailout the spend happy state of California?
You live in Mid West, do you feel happy about paying for roads and parks in California? Is that just?

Quote:

That should have been ...had had custody...

Quote:

Yeah, why not? California is as much part of the US as the MidWest. As long as it benefits America, I have no problem with it.

Quote:
As long as it benefits America, I have no problem with it.

Why stop at America? America is part of the global community isn't it? We have interdependent economies so if the global economy goes down, it's bad for us. So doesn't it follow that we should help people outside our borders? (Hint: we already are to the tune of hundreds of billion$)

And I suppose if they can't fund what we give to them, we should step in and seize it...

Tempest, it's beyond the scope of this topic but I find foreign aid and assistance to be invaluable foreign policy tools.

The satet is going broke you government is not shrinking the plush retirements are not being decreases . None of the problens are being solved .The Calif EPA for example could be closed and there would be big savings .

Tempest, it's beyond the scope of this topic but I find foreign aid and assistance to be invaluable foreign policy tools.
Would you be willing to pay for my share? As I find it sickening that my $$$ is taken away from me and given to someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back