Pre-fill OF

How many people pre fill their OF before installing it? Both of my vehicles I do and both are vertical under the engine. I prefer not to have a dry start for a second or two. Both of my vehicle’s I prefill the filter with Redline 10/40. A little extra ZDDP also I like the bottle. Easy pour into a OF

I've even done it on horizontal mounted filters.
Thankfully nothing in the way. The ADBV keeps the
oil back and I block the center hole with my finger until
the last second, then quickly put filter to the threaded stub
and screw it on quickly.

My 2¢

Not usually but mostly because they are heavy and hard to thread as is without adding a couple quarts.
The little ones that hold a few ounces, the oil pump fills them in not even a second.

How many people pre fill their OF before installing it? Both of my vehicles I do and both are vertical under the engine. I prefer not to have a dry start for a second or two. Both of my vehicle’s I prefill the filter with Redline 10/40. A little extra ZDDP also I like the bottle. Easy pour into a OF
I always prefilled my filtesr when their positions allowed me to without spillage.

Good Morning,
I've always prefilled and am always impressed how much oil gets absorbed by the media. I own a Subaru and even though the filter gets installed with the center hole down, I can get the filter filled pretty well and with a quick turn and placement over the filter nipple get it screwed on with hardly losing any oil. When starting the engine, the oil pressure light goes out immediately.

A few previous threads on this oft-asked question:

Again kschachn, thanks for the effort.

Is it permissible to suggest that cold vs hot oil change and filter pre-filling threads be summated and the data posted as a poll?

A few previous threads on this oft-asked question:

A great application to use AI for a summation of these results! A next step for BITOG. We must have many topics that AI can be applied to. The topic I see repeated often is on the oil filter by-pass valve pressure setting!

You'd be better off pulling the fuel pump fuse or trying the "flooded engine" routine.
Yea I know. I'm not too worried about the fuel dilution issue because the car is almost exclusively driven long trips on the highway because of my commute. I've not noticed oil levels rising in the crankcase over a 7500mi oci. But I agree overall that it's not the best thing to do.

Back