Pre-fill OF

The oil sample after the clean oil was circulated through the non-running engine should be dirtier because it would have picked up some old oil in the engine, especially in the smaller particle range that wouldn't be filtered well by the new filter (depending on the filter of course).

I would also think that new oil in bottles or jugs should be cleaner than oil out of a big bulk drum.

Last edited:
A few previous threads on this oft-asked question:

I think you missed one or two… 🤣

The oil sample after the clean oil was circulated through the non-running engine should be dirtier because it would have picked up some old oil in the engine, especially in the smaller particle range that wouldn't be filtered well by the new filter (depending on the filter of course).

I would also think that new oil in bottles or jugs should be cleaner than oil out of a big bulk drum.
When I had a few samples run at TestOil, they did particle counts on the VOAs they ran. HPL filters their oil before putting into containers, and is also partly the reason they recommend buying as close to the quantity you will fully use without transferring to other containers- so you don’t contaminate it before use.

I’ve seen a few of the HPL PCs, and they were several numbers cleaner than the Motul Power 4100 PC I had run.

Data is support of pre-fill

Interesting. The oil pressure delay is measurable in time but does it always equate to measurable wear? Just because the time delay is measurable that doesn’t necessarily make it impactful. He did said in his Porsche engine it mattered as wear metals went down but that is one engine’s data point. I could counterpoint that in my Toyota engine, which did not receive a pre fill and was running very diluted 0w16, the wear metals were low. That data point could argue that in this Toyota engine it did not matter.
1699088691811.jpeg

The VAST majority of oil changes occur around the globe without pre-filling the filters, yet there is no corresponding report of massive numbers of failed engines due to this process. Conversely, engines which always get pre-filled filters do have occasional failures. The greatest issue is that it's very difficult (nay, impossible) to assign a lube-related engine failure to the filter installation method regarding pre-filling.

Hence, without correlation, there can be no causation.

It's moot.

The VAST majority of oil changes occur around the globe without pre-filling the filters, yet there is no corresponding report of massive numbers of failed engines due to this process.
There's a huge difference between added wear and blown-up/failed engines. People use the same arguement when talking about engine wear related to oil cleanliness from filtration or from the oil viscosity used. More engine wear over the long run typically won't result in engine failure, but a more worn engine can effect the overall mechanical condition and performance of the engine.

2001 Tacoma V6 255K, couldn't if I wanted to due to the angle and the way I have to manuver it up into the spot. And always cold oil changes. I always let it drain as long as I can-like 20- 30 minutes. I'm learning I have done every thing wrong, yet it doesn't use a drop of oil, sounds tight, and runs well. Go figure.....I am going to at least do it warm and wet the media too. I want to get another 250K!

So hold adbv open with a toothpick and fill 😂 realistically any brand name oil shouldn't be contaminated . Also a normal sized filter shouldn't even be a half quart. On the other hand there shouldn't be any load on the engine, so wear is negligible. Would do it if possible.

Back