Pre-fill OF

Would an empty filter on a initial start have the bypass valve open as soon as oil hit it?

I had a digital oil pressure gauge from ProShift that was setup to show battery voltage for the first 10 seconds or so. It was programmable to eliminate that. Had to call them u and ask how to though. I told them that's why I got a digital one was to see the oil pressure immediately. They were crap gauges anyway as far as the LEDs lasting.

Would an empty filter on a initial start have the bypass valve open as soon as oil hit it?
It depends on how thick the oil is and how much flow the pump puts out during a cold engine start-up RPM scenario. I think the oil would have to be pretty cold and thick to activate the filter bypass valve at low RPM during a cold engine start-up. Even if the oil filter was pre-filled the oil viscosity and flow rate will be the same going through the filter, so there's really no factor involved associated with the filter being completely empty or completely full of oil. The dP across the filter will only depend on the oil viscosity and pump flow.

It depends on how thick the oil is and how much flow the pump puts out during a cold engine start-up RPM scenario. I think the oil would have to be pretty cold and thick to activate the filter bypass valve at low RPM during a cold engine start-up. Even if the oil filter was pre-filled the oil viscosity and flow rate will be the same going through the filter, so there's really no factor involved associated with the filter being completely empty or completely full of oil. The dP across the filter will only depend on the oil viscosity and pump flow.
I think much like amperage surge under start conditions for electrical loads so is the oil pressure buildup on a started engine in relation to downstream 0 psi areas and oil volume.

So that cold oil is hitting the filter media at a ~60/0 psi dp?

I think much like amperage surge under start conditions for electrical loads so is the oil pressure buildup on a started engine in relation to downstream 0 psi areas and oil volume.

So that cold oil is hitting the filter media at a ~60/0 psi dp?
Think of the oil flow volume as the current. The flow will be only what the positive displacement oil pump puts out. That flow is determined by the engine RPM. So if the RPM is the same with the oil filter bone dry or completely full, that oil flow volume will be exactly the same if the RPM is exactly the same. Oil viscosity held constant. The dP across the filter media will be the same regardless if it's full or empty of oil when the engine is started.

How many people pre fill their OF before installing it? Both of my vehicles I do and both are vertical under the engine. I prefer not to have a dry start for a second or two. Both of my vehicle’s I prefill the filter with Redline 10/40. A little extra ZDDP also I like the bottle. Easy pour into a OF

100% of the time I pre fill all my oil filters.

Why not? Even if the filter is upside down you can still put a little bit of oil in there to absorb into the media.
I do that on my 4.0L Tacoma with a base down vertical spin-on filter. It will actually take quite a bit of oil to soak the media, and I can still install it without any oil coming out the center tube.

Certainly won't hurt anything, assuming you were clean while performing the operation.

How would anyone prove it beneficial? Does it really matter? What percentage of world wide oil changes every day pre-fill the oil filter?

If it's easy, sure, go ahead, but I wouldn't be lulled into any sort of warm fuzzy you're doing anything that matters much.

My .02. Do what ya want!

EDIT: IF anyone else starts quoting that Lake six pack dude from youtube, I'm going to start quoting PF. You have been warned, so "Let's Find Out!"

:)

I owned a78 Ford ranger. It had a Huge FL-1 Filter. The filter was horizontal and had no ADBV, When it started it clattered tor at least 10 seconds. 250+K Miles (at least) when I talked to the guy who sold it to one of his friends. It was still on the road. It was fords anemic 2.3? liter engines.

Why ?
1. Zero load on the bearing
2. Oil coating. You can completely wipe an oil film off of a metal and will still have protection. AND this oil was NOT rubbed off.

Thats why I have zero interest in prefilling.

Certainly won't hurt anything, assuming you were clean while performing the operation.

How would anyone prove it beneficial? Does it really matter? What percentage of world wide oil changes every day pre-fill the oil filter?

If it's easy, sure, go ahead, but I wouldn't be lulled into any sort of warm fuzzy you're doing anything that matters much.

My .02. Do what ya want!

EDIT: IF anyone else starts quoting that Lake six pack dude from youtube, I'm going to start quoting PF. You have been warned, so "Let's Find Out!"

:)
Well there is a big difference between him and project farm.

That post of the P1 I had posted earlier gets Prefilled with M1 0w30. Granted, 0.2 isnt drastic but I'm not opening a gallon of Redline just for that. It soaked the filter media and marinated all yesterday like Montréal Steak seasoning.

Well there is a big difference between him and project farm.
On surface, I agree with you......but, there are still some things about the dude that, yeah, just not for me.

Go watch the video he did where he changes his daughters oil in a new car like every 15 minutes. I'm exaggerating (a little) but it was every bit of PF malarkey to me.

Bottom line, for me and YMMV, but I wouldn't make any of my decisions based on either one of these guys. With all the education the Lake guy has, plus the "experience" I would think his videos would have more credibility. Like I said above, he has some videos that really hurt this credibility. That almost makes him more dangerous then PF, who does say his tests are for entertainment and do not simulate real conditions in an engine.

Watching videos on this stuff is certainly entertaining, but like I said, I wouldn't base any buying decision on either of them.

All just my personal opinion.

I prefill if possible.

Years ago I was at a customers house, in a basement where the water filters were. THe customer had complained about sediment in the water, and had explained that he had changed the filters recently....like the one pictured on the bottom....

After a little diagnosis, I found that there was damage to the filter near the seam, looked blown out a bit.. I changed the filter and turned the water back on, in the way it should be turned back on, slowly.

Of course the customer was perplexed by the slow introduction of water into the vessel. The original installer had told him to turn the water on as quickly as possible........I them understood how the filter had internally burst.

Understand there are some differences between the closed nature of a plumbing system and the open system of an engine, but the principle is similar.

Of course, oil filers are more robust, than these filters.......but filling the filter cannot hurt.

1718282630814.jpg

A few previous threads on this oft-asked question:

Outstanding Research!

Back