Learned Lesson...Prefill Oil Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday, for the first time ever in the life of a 1999 Freightliner truck with a Cummins B engine, I did not prefill the Fleetguard oil filter during a oil change. On start-up, the oil pressure gauge did not register any pressure for about eight seconds, too long for my comfort. When prefilled, the gauge will register in two to three seconds. From now on, I will always prefill.

It was cold yesterday and a bit dark when I did the oil change. I was also considering CAT's advisory against prefilling due to risk of contamination. So, I took the easy route and did not prefill. Never again.

A prefill is smart.

My cars filter is mounted sideways, so I have my mechanic put 4-5 ounces of oil in it and spin the filter, then the spinning of it getting put on lets the oil pre-soak the filter pleats.

I know some of those big diesel truck have filters that hold 1-2quarts!!!! not prefilling is scary in that situation!!

would prefilling lube the thread of the filter where it screws onto the engine block, making it more likely to vibrate off?

Originally Posted By: crinkles
would prefilling lube the thread of the filter where it screws onto the engine block, making it more likely to vibrate off?

Countless BITOG'ers prefill with out this issue.

I changed oil on a couple big 550HP Cummins. I was driving a cavalier at the time and was amazed when it literally had my little car's whole oil capacity just in the filter. On those large engines, I think its smart to fill.

On my on vehicles, I pre-fill when it's convenient (i.e., when the filter is easy to access and mounted vertically).

At the shop (Detroit Diesel shop), I only pre-fill the filters in two situations:

1. After I've just overhauled an engine... those bearings essentially have MY name on them, and I want them to get oil quickly.

2. On any engine with a Huey fuel injection system (including Powerstrokes, other assorted International engines, one odd-ball navistar/detroit hybrid, and certain Cats). These use high pressure oil to actuate the injectors... and won't start without oil pressure.

Otherwise I don't bother. It's not that I think it's a bad idea... it's that I just don't care.

LOL.gif
That's classic BITOG right there.

I started pre-filling back in the 70's when I was a teenager. I didn't like hearing engine knock while the oil pressure came up. No knock with the pre-fill. Been doing it ever since, depending on filter orientation.

I firmly believe in pre filling the filter although many engine companies say not to.. I think that was in the old days when oil was not as pure as it is today..

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
I firmly believe in pre filling the filter although many engine companies say not to.. I think that was in the old days when oil was not as pure as it is today..
Or the end of the lube gun was laying in the dirt all morning.

Not only does pre-filling lube the threads, but it's commonly accepted as good practice on most vehicles to lube the rubber gasket with engine oil as well to promote sealing. There hasn't been a problem to date, so I wouldn't expect any. :]

If you have a filter design that points downwards, it's no sweat to pre-fill. Most cars now it seems you'd make a bigger mess trying to get the filter in without spilling oil everywhere.

I've never pre-filled filters and I've owned several cars that went over 200K miles, and one that went over 300K with zero oil related engine problems.

Originally Posted By: onion
On my on vehicles, I pre-fill when it's convenient (i.e., when the filter is easy to access and mounted vertically).

At the shop (Detroit Diesel shop), I only pre-fill the filters in two situations:

1. After I've just overhauled an engine... those bearings essentially have MY name on them, and I want them to get oil quickly.

2. On any engine with a Huey fuel injection system (including Powerstrokes, other assorted International engines, one odd-ball navistar/detroit hybrid, and certain Cats). These use high pressure oil to actuate the injectors... and won't start without oil pressure.

Otherwise I don't bother. It's not that I think it's a bad idea... it's that I just don't care.

LOL.gif
That's classic BITOG right there.

Onion, my sentiments exactly!

bob

On big diesel engines, I always prefill and tighten the oil filter with a filter wrench to ensure it doesn't come loose. On the car, I prefill one time (let the oil soak into the paper) and slap the filter on.

Two posters have had fun with this already. Let me be the one to actually address this concern. Most of the friction keeping the filter in place comes from the rubber seal, not the metal threads. The rubber, even when wiped with oil before installation, generates a lot of friction, so the danger of a properly tightened filter loosening is nil. The rubber is designed to swell a bit and that generates even more friction.

Originally Posted By: Quest
You are talking diesel here, not gasoline passenger(light-duty) engines.

Q.

True, but even though diesel engines are very robust, I don't like metal-to-metal contact among sliding surfaces in diesel engines any more than I like it in gas engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back