2021 Toyota Tundra : First DIY oil change, lessons learned

2021 Toyota Tundra SR5 4x4 CrewMax (2.5 gen)

Put your truck on ramps if you're a stout guy like me. You can probably wiggle under there just enough to get the job done without it, but it'll be more stressful and time consuming. I didn't do this even though I had the rhino ramps at home...and regretted it. Not using them made everything twice as hard, not having the extra space to maneuver.

Draining the engine oil pan takes a little bit of time and patience, especially if you have the fujimoto valve installed as that makes it drain a little bit slower. Plan on hooking up your drain tubes on both the oil pan and the oil filter housing and walking away for at least 20 minutes while all the oil drains out of both places.

Have a piece of thin cardboard, like a discarded cereal box, ready to form into a half-pipe shield for deflection of drain oil flow & splatter. This likely won't be necessary if you have a fujimoto valve installed on the oil pan. Aluminum foil can be used in the same manner to redirect oil flow where needed.

Take the time to remove the skid plate or at least have the correct drain tube thingamajig for the oil filter housing. I was trying to use the supplied fujimoto drain tube with the oil filter housing "drainer" insert plug that came with the oil filter but quickly realized that didn't work at all. Have the right tools on hand.

The plastic plug supplied with the oil filter seems darn near impossible to insert into the drain valve on the oil filter housing, especially with a skid plate in the way and having to put my arms in at odd angles. Just purchase the special MotiveX oil filter housing drain tool and save yourself a lot of grief.

If you don't already own the oil filter housing socket from MotiveX, just purchase the whole three piece kit which includes the housing socket, the oil filter housing drain tool, and the screw-in oil funnel. Even better, order the fujimoto drain valve at the same time.

Doing DIY oil changes is all about having a system. Get your system down with supplies ready and the actual oil change will take less than 15 to 20 minutes, less time than it takes to drive somewhere (and back) to have it done. It took me waaay too long to do that first oil change.

Organize all your Toyota specific oil change tools in one place like a dedicated little toolbox or milk crate, along with the oil filters and air filters. This has made oil change days a lot easier. I have one milk crate per vehicle like this in my garage, each containing the specific filters, a ziplock of drain bolt washers (where applicable), and special tools needed for each vehicle.

Sounds like my first change on my Nissan Frontier. At first glance it looks like Nissan provided a small drain plate under the filter/truck joint which will allow the filter oil to be collected without making a mess. However the plate is too short and does not extend far enough under the filter. If you raise the front of the truck (jacking or on ramps) the oil completely misses the drain plate and makes a mess. I just don't know what they were thinking.

Sounds like my first change on my Nissan Frontier. At first glance it looks like Nissan provided a small drain plate under the filter/truck joint which will allow the filter oil to be collected without making a mess. However the plate is too short and does not extend far enough under the filter. If you raise the front of the truck (jacking or on ramps) the oil completely misses the drain plate and makes a mess. I just don't know what they were thinking.
Ford used that same drain on the 3.5 EcoBoost. If the truck is level, 3/4 of the filter oil drains down the “funnel”. If the truck is on ramps, 100% of the oil misses the funnel and drains on the suspension.

• Sad
Reactions: GON
TRD or non-TRD skidplate? We have the TRD skidplate on our '21 and one idea I saw on a Tundra forum is to cut the top and bottom of a half-gallon milk jug, insert it through the access panel and pull the filter through the milk jug opening. All the drippings flow down the jug and not all over the skidplate. We also have a fumoto valve installed with a nipple and hose to direct the dribble over the skidplate.

Draining the engine oil pan takes a little bit of time and patience, especially if you have the fujimoto valve installed as that makes it drain a little bit slower. Plan on hooking up your drain tubes on both the oil pan and the oil filter housing and walking away for at least 20 minutes while all the oil drains out of both places.

This is a good time to check things like washer fluid level and top off if needed. Check your tire pressures. Stuff like that.

I'm glad you didn't put a Tundra on Rhino Ramps so you can still be alive to type the tale today. Cue the plastic ramp lovers....hey, they're safe and effective (yikes!)

Here I am, 🦄

They have worked fine for me for 30 years. my gx460 curb weight is 5100 lbs, the tundra could be up to 5600lbs. Safely using them is another subject. This topic has been beaten to death to be frank.

So what is your alternative?

This is a good time to check things like washer fluid level and top off if needed. Check your tire pressures. Stuff like that.
Well Sure! That's a LOF service, like l thought it should be. {But then when l tried to do a proper LOF and service for a customers car, when l was working somewhere, the boss would jump my @$$,

On my 17 Tundra I cut a 5 inch round access hole directly under the filter. No mess now. Don't have to pull the skid plate each time either.

Paco
I'm having a hard time justifying NOT removing the skid plate since I can't see myself ever having the time, opportunity or desire to do much off roading, let alone off roading where my truck's front end would bottom out on rocks. I mean, I live in Iowa. My 4wd will be used for snow, ice and a little mud in the spring. Skid plate isn't adding a lot of value for me. It's just gonna slow down the oil changes. I think I'll take the skid plate off, put the bolts back where they're supposed to be, and put the skid plate on the top shelf of the rack shelving in my garage.

Back