Oil change

I was having issues trying to change the oil in a car I bought, as the original oil plug was replaced with what I can only describe as a stove knob looking bolt (the type of knob that's flat not like a gas knob ) never seen one like it before.

I couldn't get it off a shop wouldn't take it off , so I bought. A hose and something to syphon the oil out it wasn't working, so I tried sucking on the tube to get the oil flowing out which only worked long as I kept sucking .

Then someone mentioned taking the oil filter off and starting it up .

I looked it up and found this place with someone asking the same question.

It's what I did to change the oil . That made things easy .

It is of course under the oil pan so it drained everything out.
Thankfully because that oil hadn't been changed since 2021 .

Are you talking about one of the Fumoto valve thingies? Or ? I can't even picture it.

couldn't get it off a shop wouldn't take it off , so I bought. A hose and something to syphon the oil out it wasn't working, so I tried sucking on the tube to get the oil flowing out which only worked long as I kept sucking .
I can only assume that this was your night cap. Even though you have to go to work tomorrow (well today), you couldn't go to sleep without posting this first. Cheers! 😂🍻🍿

I was having issues trying to change the oil in a car I bought, as the original oil plug was replaced with what I can only describe as a stove knob looking bolt (the type of knob that's flat not like a gas knob ) never seen one like it before.

I couldn't get it off a shop wouldn't take it off , so I bought. A hose and something to syphon the oil out it wasn't working, so I tried sucking on the tube to get the oil flowing out which only worked long as I kept sucking .

Yeah I'll have to take a picture of it in the morning it is the plug for the oil pan , however I can't remove it there isn't a tool I'm aware of for it .

I know it's isn't good for the engine to run it without oil but it was the last resort option. Taking off the filter and starting it long enough to get all the oil out worked better than the normal way to change the oil I didn't have to jack up the Car and pray the jack didn't break while under the car just had to reach under the Car take the filter off and replace it.

Yeah I'll have to take a picture of it in the morning it is the plug for the oil pan , however I can't remove it there isn't a tool I'm aware of for it .
Channel locks can remove about anything, lol.

1710141315259.jpg

I've seen that type. You use a hammer and chisel and they come right off. Easy job.

I know it's isn't good for the engine to run it without oil but it was the last resort option. Taking off the filter and starting it long enough to get all the oil out worked better than the normal way to change the oil I didn't have to jack up the Car and pray the jack didn't break while under the car just had to reach under the Car take the filter off and replace it.
It's fine to run without oil if it has DuraLube or Slick50. Didnt you see the commercials in the 90s?
jk

Wow!!

I would have loved to have seen that same “solution” performed with an under the hood mounted filter.

And yes, please post a picture of that drain plug!

Is it possible to include a picture?

Back