Toyota "FREE" oil changes

So.....

I bought a 2023 Tacoma last summer and am on my first oil change at 5K miles. I thought long and hard about changing it earlier but decided to wait until 5K. As some of you know, toyota has a 2 year 25K mile, maintenance covered plan. AKA Free oil changes and rotations. Well.... I went in this morning and asked what came with the 5K maintenance and specifically about an oil change. They said "its not calling for an oil change now. 10K only" I said nope, I want one at 5K for the first one at least. They said OK but you only get 5 total services for free. If you skip the first on and go straight to the second. you only get 3 more. If you come back at 10K and ask for another oil change, you skip the free rotation and only get one more rotation then done.

Seemed strange to me but OK. I got the oil change. The place opened at 7 and I got there are 6:45 and was first in line. I got out if there at 8:10 :( ridiculous. I change my own oil without a lift in 20 minutes. 10 if I have the tools handy and the oil is warm.

Never again but the good news is I only need to document 5 more oil changes to prove I changed it on the schedule for warranty purposes.

[Rant off]

Get some 'Yota filters and whatever oil you like and change it at your happy intervals, keep details in log book. I keep book in glove box and document all fill ups and maintenance. Let them do the "free" documented ones on schedule with records and only reset the MM when it comes up, not early.

I don't know about the Toyota's but other brands have other stuff tied to the resets. If you reset early it throws off other things (like diff or tranny reminders)

The 'ToyotaCare' free maintenance covers the oil changes done every 10,000mi. We bought the oil and filter on our dime for the 1,000mi break-in change and 5,000mi intervals when we got the last Tundra 5.7L. When it came for the first free oil change the dealer gave us the oil and filter since we preferred we do it ourselves.

Tomioka, How did you manage that deal? I hated waiting in line. Counting the drive there and back it was close to two hours to have them do something I could have done in 15 minutes. AND got to see the oil coming out looking for rainbows.

What does your service manual actually say? My guess is that much like my Rav4 - it says OCI is 10K miles or 12 months, whichever comes first. So your service writer / dealer is a moron - or simply cheating you. Mine tries both.

Toyota dealers are just as bad as every other dealer - maybe worse.

Anyway - whether you do it or they do it make sure you follow what the manual actually says - because you know darn well if you have a warranty claim they will try to wiggle out of it - even if there moron advisor gave you bad advice. My manual also says your to inspect all the fluids every 6 months, so make sure to document that also.

The 'ToyotaCare' free maintenance covers the oil changes done every 10,000mi. We bought the oil and filter on our dime for the 1,000mi break-in change and 5,000mi intervals when we got the last Tundra 5.7L. When it came for the first free oil change the dealer gave us the oil and filter since we preferred we do it ourselves.
You’re lucky. I asked at delivery but my dealer wouldn’t give me the oil and filters. I ended up not using any of my ToyotaCare visits.

My ‘15 Sienna had the same 2yr maintenance plan included and I elected not to use it even though you are technically paid for it with a new car purchase. I gently broke in the vehicle to 1K and then drove another 2K towing 3000lbs from MA to TX during July so changed oil myself at the 3K interval based on harsh conditions. Never looked back and did my own for the next 5 changes and don’t regret it.

As far as I know, that Toyota 2yr/25K has always amounted to just two free oil changes and basic free inspections and tire rotations every 5K.

I know back when we bought the 2015 Camry LE for my mom, the 2yr/25K free Toyota maintenance at the time worked out to 2 oil changes due to Toyota's 1yr/10K mile OCI.

My mom lost interest after the second visit where she sat for 2hrs for this. Not quite her thing. LOL.

They normally do not change the oil at each 5k interval, only a rotation every time. They do the oil every 10k.

What does your service manual actually say? My guess is that much like my Rav4 - it says OCI is 10K miles or 12 months, whichever comes first. So your service writer / dealer is a moron - or simply cheating you. Mine tries both.

Toyota dealers are just as bad as every other dealer - maybe worse.
... .
But it was not in use 12 mo. when he went in and he was at 5k miles not 10K. ???

I did the same thing on VW lease with a paid for maint package but they made me pay for "in between" services.

I do fully agree the Toyota service near me has been as bad or worse than most, Three places many visit over three decades with the wife's SUV. I have had my best service at a Chevrolet Cadillac place in Andover, MA and a Nissan-Suzuki place in Portsmouth, NH.

The free maintenance schedule is provided at the time of purchase and is published on the internet. It isn’t a closely guarded secret.

Also I wouldn’t call an hour wait “ridiculous.”
Yeah. I often use our dealer and did the "free" ones when new. It's usually an hour and includes and vacuum and car wash. I just go for a walk around the neighborhood and enjoy some relaxing.

I was also tempted to buy the maintenance plan they sell, too. But it has a time limit on it, I believe. Like two years or something. Any I don't think I put enough miles on. One service rep said they didn't really care about the date just looked at how many services. Since I was signing it, that didn't sit well with me, but they've been good to me so I probably would've been fine.

Been through this once already. This time around I elected to not use. I'd have to drive the wife's car for a day, and that wasn't happening (my car was 20 years older). FUD drives me to do 5k oil changes on this car, needed or not, and I knew they would not be doing 5k, so I could have done every other oil change if I wanted to--but I didn't feel like sitting in the dealership waiting.

To keep track of maintenance you should be able to set up a account at Toyota Owners, that's what I did and never returned for my "free oil changes"
They don't let you leave the dealership lot without hooking you up in the Toyota account. For various reasons.

I did a spill & fill on my '19 4Runner on the 5Ks. I took it in for the free inspection and oil changes on the 10Ks. I though it all worked great until they cross threaded the bolts on the skid plates. That was the last dealer service oil change for the 4Runner.

If you have the means, do your own oil changes and document by taking pictures of the receipts for the oil and filter purchase, you just have to refrain from buying bulk in order to have the correct dates.
That’s it.

No reason to deal with the dealer BS just for warranty because your warranty will be just fine. But the chances of the dealer messing something up are quite high.
It’s your call what you value more, your time and knowing the job is done correctly, or your sense of false security in the warranty and dealer’s ability to do the job and keep the records in order.

The dealership put a 5,000 mile sticker right on the upper left of the windshield and I will be taking the Rav4 hybrid in around 5,000 miles. They vacuum and wash the vehicle and rotate the tires for no charge. We plan on eating lunch at Culver's across the street from the dealership and the car should be completed after lunch. I plan on getting 5 oil changes for no charge at 5000 miles each for a total of 25,000 miles. After that I will do my own oil changes and by that time it will need new tires or slightly thereafter. Then over to Discount tire for some Michelins.

Back