Toyota oil change question

On the newer Toyotas oil changes under warranty are done at the 10K mark. Is this ok?
I put on about 70 miles per day on my 17 Corolla, decent amount highway speeds. I split the difference at 7500 - 8000 miles. Which, basically, ends up being before summer and before winter. At 85k miles and doesn't burn a drop. If I only drove around town I'd probably drop to 5k/6mths because I'd consider that "severe", personally.

So, really, as others said, depends on your driving habits and how you sleep at night. Read the owner's manual and see if you can into regular or severe. If you still struggle to sleep, do a UOA every change...

We just bought a 2020 Toyota Rav 4 XLE with only 26,000 miles. 1 owner.
I am changing the oil to Amsoil oil and filter and will do the full 10,000 miles before changing.
But, I am changing the gear oils and transmission fluid to Amsoil as well.
People will mock me I'm sure, (Oh, another AMSOIL user!!!), but, I can take it hahaha.
Doesn't matter what brand oil you use. Do 10K OCI at your peril... it's your engine...

We just bought a 2020 Toyota Rav 4 XLE with only 26,000 miles. 1 owner.
I am changing the oil to Amsoil oil and filter and will do the full 10,000 miles before changing.
But, I am changing the gear oils and transmission fluid to Amsoil as well.
People will mock me I'm sure, (Oh, another AMSOIL user!!!), but, I can take it hahaha.

Great plan, Triple3!

Seriously!

And even more so with the tranny fluid and gear oils.

It’s nice to see someone willing to ignore the “let’s hate on Toyota and their 10k mile OCIs” for once.

It was YOUR money that bought the vehicle, YOU who decide what brand of fluids to use, YOU who decide your OCI, and YOU who live with those choices.

Just like all of us out here in BITOGer-land.

Ignore the way too often repeated (ad nauseam) U-Tube posts of how wrong you are with your Toyota maintenance decisions.

Happy motoring!

I work at a Toyota dealer. We use bulk TGMO and oem filters.
We regularly see Toyotas that were dealer serviced since new, with 10k mile synthetic oil changes, and have 200k plus miles and no engine problems or oil consumption.
It might not be right for every situation, but for most it is fine.

We regularly see Toyotas that were dealer serviced since new, with 10k mile synthetic oil changes, and have 200k plus miles and no engine problems or oil consumption.
I was told the same thing by 2 of my friends that have work for Toyota for 20+ years each. I guess its just up to the individual.

How many 2.4 - 2.7L engines have you seen that don’t burn 3+ quarts per 5k miles?

The filter will get changed every 10k per Toyota’s recommendation. The oil will be every 5k.

I don’t see an issue with this.

How many 2.4 - 2.7L engines have you seen that don’t burn 3+ quarts per 5k miles?
Seen some 2.4s that were oil burners, but those were originally speced for conventional oil and a shorter interval.
That was due to a piston and ring design issue, not an oil issue.
Don't think I can recall seeing a 2.7 with an oil consumption issue.

Filters are very important and they cost $5 from the dealer.. Changing it seems logical every oil change, but to each their own.

I drove a 2012 Camry as a company car and did 10k mile oil changes. The company still had my car 5 years after I left in 2015. I can only assume it was still running.
I drove 40-50k miles per year, which definitely helped.

My 09 Camry gets 5k mile changes with the least expensive Synthetic I can find (Mobil 1 currently), and always has according to CAFAX. It had new rings and pistons installed at 130k and currently has 236k on it. It is short tripped a lot as my daughters DD. I did a 6500 mile change when it was my DD, as my commute is 18 miles one way on country roads. That was only 1 change before my daughter got it

Back