Toyota oil change question

Here is what 10K OCIs do to these engines:

The example is a car with 180k miles? I thought they were just trying to get the vehicle through warranty?

Does he have another video with an engine taken apart at 180k that had 5-7.5k intervals? That could be interesting.

On the wife's 2022 Lexus RX350, the local Lexus dealer is delighted with 5K OCI's during the free oil change period. Conditioning you for that interval. I will probably go 6-7.5k miles once I start doing it myself.

toyota is not untrustworthy, they just have a great legal team like every car company. if you read the documentation that comes with every new TMC vehicle, they have a service booklet. in that, they break down service intervals based on "vehicle duty type". If you operate the vehicle in the "severe duty" conditions, the OCI drops down to 5k/6 months. if not, 10k/1 yr

toyota is not untrustworthy, they just have a great legal team like every car company. if you read the documentation that comes with every new TMC vehicle, they have a service booklet. in that, they break down service intervals based on "vehicle duty type". If you operate the vehicle in the "severe duty" conditions, the OCI drops down to 5k/6 months. if not, 10k/1 yr
I did not look and see what Severe Duty means. Have to check that.

On the wife's 2022 Lexus RX350, the local Lexus dealer is delighted with 5K OCI's during the free oil change period. Conditioning you for that interval. I will probably go 6-7.5k miles once I start doing it myself.
Lexus requires a service every 5K, but not every service includes an oil change.

If you look in the owners manual (at least my '21 Tacoma) you'll see that the severe service requires an oil change every 5K. Most of the conditions in there I feel that most people are in that category.

You can change yourself at 5000 miles then bring it to Toyota for 10K miles.
They don't know the difference.

I did it in my new Sienna when it was bought.
Actually, I changed at 3000, 6000 and bring to Toyota at 10K.

If you look in the owners manual (at least my '21 Tacoma) you'll see that the severe service requires an oil change every 5K. Most of the conditions in there I feel that most people are in that category.
1674598871302.jpg

I would not say most - repeated trips of taxi/delivery use.

And what I don't understand is how and why so many people ignore that information. They seem to have read the manual enough to spout the 0W-16-20 mantra often and quite loudly.

You as a owner decide how long you plan on ownership, are you in the severe operation. Lots of highway miles makes a big difference, just as shorts really hurt.I would do a oil analysis done thru Polaris Labs at 5,000 miles.You can use vacuum system or the quick valve on the oil pan for a oil analysis done thru Polaris Labs. If you get red flagged for fuel dilution ,it only makes sense that 5,000 is your number.In a perfect world 10,000 would be great.The new thin oils,turbo, di,short trips all can influence or effect your service interval,its your call

And what I don't understand is how and why so many people ignore that information. They seem to have read the manual enough to spout the 0W-16-20 mantra often and quite loudly.
Its partly lack of RTFM, and partly smart marketing. Smart marketing is when ad budget were dedicated in backchannel influence on automotive media focusing on cost of ownership and building perceived value with prepaid maintenance and extended service intervals.

Hyundai Sonata has a best in class 10 year/100k warranty.
Toyota Responds with Prepaid maintenace with annual oil changes, but includes legalese to indicate that specific drive duty cycles require the original OCI they have had for eons. They can claim "perceived value" wins over hyundai.

Lexus requires a service every 5K, but not every service includes an oil change.
the 5k is basically an inspection service and time to set dealer specific vehicle settings through techstream.

10k is the OCI.

Side note: Why does the New owner, Luxury side of TMC get one oil change and some inspections, while the Non-lux side gets prepaid maintenance for 3 years? Even CPOs get 2 free Oil changes lol

I do 5,000. 10,000 is crazy. I can’t exactly prove anything but let’s say majority of Toyota we have had come in that have had 10,000 mile oil changes their whole life as recommended by Toyota have had oil consumption issues and I believe that’s part of the reason why is going so long but again I can’t prove it but all the guys at work agree with me. And besides the older stuff the only oil consumption issues we have seen are on newer models with high mileage and the 10,000 mile oil change interval. I personally think it’s to get them out of warranty with that long of a time. I’ve only had two customers come back because I put a 5,000 mile sticker in their car and not a 10,000 mile one. It’s your choice but I’d advise not to go 10,000 miles.

Back