Is this mechanic right about not filling filter with oil?

he did point out the possibility of contamination from the environment he works in. (multi-bay shop, air tools.)
seeing as he fills from bulk with an open top pitcher, he's right as far as atmosphere he works in.
At home, just me? I fill the filter if it's a vertical mount. No one's tossing carbon or road dirt in the air in my garage though.........

Meh. Im not sure that the possible change of some contamination is more of a risk than running the engine dry for a few seconds every time you change the oil is worth not prefilling the filter.
Id also contend that for a professional mechanic who is doing repairs all day long every day, there is probably much more of a chance for issues with oil contamination and if it werent my vehicles that I was doing oil changes on, I wouldnt be worries about dry starts and engine wear.

I always prefill the filter as much as possible, even if it's mounted vertical with base down or horizontal. Just be careful that you don't introduce any contamination.

It's your car, what does he care? The 30 seconds he doesn't spend on filling the filter, he can spend on tasks that make him real money. That the rods or lifters are knocking for a few seconds, not his problem.

People are free to pre fill or not. If we are talking about home servicing, then most people will clean around the oil filler cap and their new unopened oil jug.

The oil if poured into the oil filter will be clean, therefore little if any risk of contaminations.

Clearly the person in the video has over tightened the oil filter.

It must be pointed out that very few people working in a workshop environment have the time to pre fill oil filters and clean up the resulting mess if they are careless.

Millions of vehicles that never get the filter prefilled and no issues. As far as contamination due to work enviroment. How does he stop that same contamination from going in the engine when he fills it up with oil. LOL

I fill the filter every time. Vertical or horizontal. Minimal chance of
some mysterious 'contamination' getting inside the filter.
Had an Iron Duke engine back in the 80's with the filter mounted
upside down. Hated that set up.

My 2¢

He's mostly right, and thats that safest position for a shop to take.

It's best practice never to put oil into the outlet hole unless it has been filtered.

The odds are very small that oil in a plastic jug would be contaminated, but its defiantly happened - small piece of plastic, steel shards from a thread on a barrel.... Ive ended up with a used jug off a shelf in a swaparoo and Im pretty careful. Caught it lubing the filter gasket.

IF you are 100% certain there is ZERO contamination sure do it - is that best practice at a shop? Nope.

Back