Fresh Oil filter Every time?

I change my oil every about every 3k-5k miles, but I don’t change the filter every time though.

Disclaimer: I just change my oil often and it’s just what I do. I not telling anybody to do what I do. I feel like I have to add disclaimers to every single thing I say on this forum.

But anyways, I change the filter every other oil change, so I get about 8k-10k miles from one filter. I use Fram Ultra synthetic. I believe it’s the best filter you can get for under $10, change my mind.

Again, what do is what I do. What you do is what you do.

1712682673902.jpeg

There are people who will drain their oil overnight hoping to get every last drop out. Then use the same filter twice, which is loaded with dirty oil they were obsessing about trying to get every last drop of it out.
Generally not the same people though.

Way back 20-30 years ago, Honda recommended 10,000 mile oil changes and to change the oil filter every 20,000 miles. And this was with a cheap $3-$4 filter.

I tried it. Saw no problems. Been doing it ever since for probably almost a million miles without ever an issue.

I’d say you can run an oil filter for 20,000 miles no problem and your engine won’t care. I’ve done this for 2 decades.

If the filter was installed between Jan-Mar and the ambient temp was 2c or lower and the engine ran for 3-5 mins immediately after fresh oil on that day then it is advised to do whatever floats your boat.

Me I change every change. Cheap orange can on the minivan and oem or cheap orange on the rav(depends if the dealer is open that day).

I don't think it matters all that much in the end. If you're changing the oil kinda early, maybe run the filter for another OCI if it's a high end filter. I run 2 OCIs sometimes.

Splitting hairs on $ spent and engine longevity.

Reactions: 4WD
Prior to retirement when I was driving 10-12k miles per year, I used to do 5k OCI's on my Nissan 370Z using Redline oil but only changed the filter every other time. However, that was using a Mobil 1 #110 filter which is slightly oversize, or using the equivalent Fram Ultra filter. Those are both premium filters and said by the manufacturer to be good for 20k miles. Well, I felt safe at 10k miles on them and it made the oil change procedure easier to only have to drain the oil and not swap out the filter too.

Would I leave a filter on for two years ? No. I'm only driving about 5000 miles a year now so I just change the oil and filter every time on my Mazda CX 5.
I agree. I did a Blackstone particle count measurement at 5k, 10k and 15k on my Toyota 2GR-FE V6 engine without changing the Fram Ultra XG9972 filter but the oil was changed every 5k. The ultra blocked particles greater than 20micron which was great. But the 4 micron particles at 15k went through the roof. Now, I do an oil change every 5k and filters every 10k.

Last edited:
I run a basic oil filter and change it every time I change the oil. If I used a more premium filter I would probably run it two oil changes so a total of 10 to 12k if using a premium filter like a Fram Ultra XG mentioned above.

It is fairly difficult to get to the drain plug on my cars. Once I am there, the filter is right next to it, so I change it every time. If I was sucking the oil out from above, it might make sense to do every other change.

False based upon what? It is absolutely true in filtration that full performance is achieved as a “cake” builds. Then it’s a matter of how much creates too tortuous of a path and increases delta P.
Ascent's ISO testing showed all the filters he tested lost efficiency as they loaded up - some worst than others. It's a pretty typical phenomena on oil filters.

The ISO 4548-12 efficiency rating is the average of the new vs highly loaded filter. So if an oil filter has a low ISO efficiency it's likely due mostly to debris sloughing as it loads up. High efficiency ISO rated filters have hardly any debris sloughing from new to highly loaded because they lose very little efficiency with dP from high loading.

Last edited:
I read on the forum that filter efficiency increases as it's media becomes packed with particulate. If that's true I should only change my filter at the recommended filter interval if I'm running shorter OCIs and not every change right?
Has this been discussed?

It's what I did, and I even stretched out the interval later on as the continuously fresh oil didn't load the filter as quickly as 1 regular oci would.

Ascent's ISO testing showed all the filters he tested lost efficiency as they loaded up - some worst than others. It's a pretty typical phenomena on oil filters.

The ISO 4548-12 efficiency rating is the average of the new vs highly loaded filter. So if an oil filter has a low ISO efficiency it's likely due mostly to debris sloughing as it loads up. High efficiency ISO rated filters have hardly any debris sloughing from new to highly loaded because they lose very little efficiency with dP from high loading.

Losing efficiency would imply that particles are making their way through the media, as the media loads up with particles. Not sure I buy this concept…

Losing efficiency would imply that particles are making their way through the media, as the media loads up with particles. Not sure I buy this concept…
Both things can happen. The media can be inefficient due to large pore size, plus particles already caught in the media can be dislodged from the media and flow out of the media as the dP increases across the media. No filter retains every single particle it catches. Some of the already catapulted debris can become dialoged and be swept out of the media due to the dP from the oil flow across the media. The Ascent ISO efficiency test data shows that's happening, it clearly shows the efficiency decreasing as the filter loads up. There's also a graph from Purolator/M+H a few posts down in that link above showing the phenomena.

My personal unproven thought….the fresh new oil with its fresh detergent additives will “clean” the trapped junk in your old filter and introduce that into your clean oil. At this point why change oil???

I don't change oil and or filter as often as most people here. Extremes have been 15.000 miles on oil, 20,000 miles on a filter. Currently have 3.5 years/14,000 miles on an oil filter. My cars just keep going. I believe I have saved money and time. My Hyundai is a different story.

Back