Would you all like to see ISO 4548-12 Oil Filter Lab Testing Comparison, Efficiency & Capacity, Pressure vs Flow, Bubble Point, and Burst?

In this case efficiency did not get significantly better over time and exhibit that behavior. The "Hockey Stick" is demonstrated in the deltaP Curve vs Time. The Medium Test Dust was injected at approximately 2.1-2.2grams every five minutes for each filter.
It will all be explained in the video.
Maybe not allowed, but I hope you are vaccinated or plan to be. I did it's a great feeling to get it done.
Very good effort, and considerable expense.
If I read correctly for an 18 gram filter you are adding about 2 grams 9 times over 45 minutes.
This is exactly how the "hokey stick" efficiency curve starts out. As the delta-p increases, already captured particles in the media start sloughing off and going down steam which the particle counter sees as worse efficiency. I've posted about this many times, but nobody seems to believe it, lol.

View attachment 59390
I believed you😀

O no! I hope you get better! My chest definitely does not feel right, but I just figured it was the pneumonia. I understand, it totally wiped me out for a month and it is still getting me pretty good. I got scared when I heard what sounded like rice crispys popping in my chest. They did an X ray and said I had covid lungs real bad.

I'm very, very, very glad you are feeling better Andrew...

I hope that I was of good help to you in this whole circumstance. I am glad you had a pulse oximeter available to you. That was very, very helpful to have and use.

Anyone with a family history of DVTs is an additional risk factor. A big one in my opinion. Seen that first hand with my step father.

Thank you for your testing work here. It is extremely appreciated by many guys on here.

Fram Ultra has backed up their claim and have a great product being made.

Maybe not allowed, but I hope you are vaccinated or plan to be. I did it's a great feeling to get it done.
Very good effort, and considerable expense.
If I read correctly for an 18 gram filter you are adding about 2 grams 9 times over 45 minutes.

I believed you😀
I have antibodies for now, and my doc says I have to wait a while before I can be vaccinated. Bummer is I was going to get vaccinated in July. I just wanted to see the short and midterm side effects.
Yes you are correct, the inject added dust at about a total of 2 to 2.2 grams every 5 min. The time however will run longer for an 18g capacity. There is still dust in the reservoir, which must be subtracted from the overall dust added. So a sample must be taken when it reaches 80% terminal DeltaP (which by the time you get the sample 100% DeltaP is reached).

I'm very, very, very glad you are feeling better Andrew...

I hope that I was of good help to you in this whole circumstance. I am glad you had a pulse oximeter available to you. That was very, very helpful to have and use.

Anyone with a family history of DVTs is an additional risk factor. A big one in my opinion. Seen that first hand with my step father.

Thank you for your testing work here. It is extremely appreciated by many guys on here.

Fram Ultra has backed up their claim and have a great product being made.
BB! Thank you for your medical professional expertise and checking in on me! I will send you the complete report now!

On average loading, it’s been mentioned many times that motorking, who used to be with Fram stated 1 gram per 1000 miles. I probably am the one always mentioning it. Which fits somewhat with mileage recommendations. Two grams is representing 2000 miles by that average.

The fact that the Wix XP exhibited a bypass failure in the bubble point test makes you wonder about the other results. It outflowed the others and had worse filtration than all others. It makes you wonder in the back of your mind if the other Wix XP filters exhibited the same bypass failure.
If two in a row do it, what's that say ?

Interestin

Yes, so for AC Delco efficiency dropped off with time/loading. I wonder if that was true for all.
I wonder if that makes the WIX XP look worse, because it ran much longer.
It might be interesting to only compare at constant time/loading.
View attachment 59380
Thing is ... the WIX XP is touted as a long OCI filter. But as the data shows, the more it gets loaded up the worse the efficiency becomes. That's most likely why the overall ISO efficiency is so low at 20u.

Here's the AC Delco's original data table and your graph put together.

Efficiency vs Time Loading (large).jpg

Last edited:
Yes, a pre Determined DeltaP determines the end of the test. In our case I choose 8PSID over clean assembly. For the ISO 4548-12 multipass test the average of readings taken every X seconds over a 5 min or 10 min time interval are averaged and reported depending on how long the test takes to reach that Terminal DeltaP.

What you see here in the previous graphs is an average taken from each time interval reading the entire time of the test and averaged. You can look at each time interval and see how it changes over time.
Here is an example of the AC-Delco time interval report page of the 4548-12 efficiency. The decimal place is not rounded in this picture for the overall average.

Other multipass tests base intervals on thing other than time, such as the Hydraulic fluid power ISO 16889 multipass test, which is based on % of terminal DeltaP.

Hope this helps!

View attachment 59377
How about posting the same data collection table for the Fram Ultra. My bet is since the overall efficiency is so high at 20u that it barely drops off efficiency as it loads up.

Isn’t the BOSS rated to 99+% at 40um?

If so, this trends right along that figure.
Purolator's website says 99% @ 25u for the Boss. At the bottom of the page says: *Based on ISO 4548-12 at 25 microns on PBL30001. The 30001 is a gigantic oil filter.

Andrew's test data above shows it came in at ~88% @ 25u.

Purolator's website says 99% @ 25u for the Boss. At the bottom of the page says: *Based on ISO 4548-12 at 25 microns on PBL30001. The 30001 is a gigantic oil filter.

I stand corrected, for some reason I remembered the One being rated at 20 and the BOSS at 40. Thanks for the correction.

I stand corrected, for some reason I remembered the One being rated at 20 and the BOSS at 40. Thanks for the correction.
I think I recall the Boss was once shown on Purolator's website as 99% @ 40 microns too. Maybe Purolator is pushing their claim a bit too much. Looking at Andrew's data, it could be said it's 99% @ 35u. Keep in mind too that Purolator is rating it based on the gigantic 30001 filter, so that could be a factor too.

Hi ZeeOsix,
Thanks for posting their new numbers, I haven't been to their site in a while.
I can remember just last fall the numbers were 99+% at 20 microns and the filter was good for 15,000 miles, funny how they change the numbers that way. At least Walmart's Supertech added a silicone anti-drain back valve and now their oil filters can go from 10.000 to 20,000 miles, LOL.
I have one of them Boss PBL310001 oil filters on my vehicle right now, (put it on last December and want to run it for one year) and when it comes out a Fram Ultra will go in.
I want to thank Ascent, and all you guys for a very interesting, and informative post. I just found this post yesterday and looks to be filled with a lot of good info. Thank You!
Snapshot - 1.jpg

Back