Fresh Oil filter Every time?

What do you think when you cut and paste it and you have a Tearolator? Did it happen at 5,000 miles or at 65,000?
Nobody knows for sure, probably a combination there of, but during the Tearolator heyday there were some pretty low mileage filters with tears posted.

I can see this happening if the bypass opens or a very large pressure increase
That's something different. The filter media can become less efficient without the bypass valve opening. You'd have to go read that thread I linked to earlier to understand the difference between the media losing efficiency from loading, vs the filter bypass valve opening. One of the main reasons that some filters show a low ISO 4548-12 efficiency is because they lose a lot of efficiency as they load up. The ISO efficiency rating is the average of the filter's from new to nearly fully loaded - in other words, when the filter is 50% loaded to full holding capacity. So oil filters that have a high ISO 4548-12 efficiency don't lose much efficiency as they load up.

Here's data from an ISO test showing how this oil filter's efficiency dropped as it went from near new to near fully loaded. The efficiency at 20u goes from ~85% at 15% loaded to ~53% when is 65% loaded. The particle count data above 65% loaded saturated the particle counters. The 100% loading level would be considered the full holding capacity rating, but test data only goes to 65% loaded. The overall ISO efficiency in this case is ~62% @ 20u, which is the 50% loaded point.

1714242601086.jpg

Last edited:
Many here never thought this would happen. We are talking heavy versus thin media

I wonder if the ladies have similar conversations concerning their, you know... monthly ordeal they have to war "media" for
clueless-scratching.gif

I look at it like this: oil filters are cheaper than rod bearings. Every 5k, oil and filter, unless UOA says sooner.

Oil filter is the 2nd most important part of the entire lubrication system behind the pump itself. Think about it for a sec...one errant chunk of road dust in a main or rod bearing ruins it. Sludge plugging passages ruins cylinders, pistons, rings, cams. Carbon from blowby will abrasively adjust tolerances. The filter stops all of that from happening!

Back before oil filtration engines relied on sludge, sedimentation, and horrifyingly short OCIs. 1,000 miles on average, up to 2k or so in the early 1940s. Because there wasnt anything to pull that stuff out of the oil it obliterated wear surfaces. Some manufacturers even resorted to floating pickups to help send cleaner oil through the engine! Partial flow filters doubled both OCI and engine life overnight and full flow filters did so all over again.

Now, I will grant that engines from the 21st century usually dont have anywhere near as much blowby carbon in their oil as my 53 year old engine, but they do have some, and also have much finer...aka more sensitive to wear...internal tolerances. they make less of it but they need less of it to be damaged. And with oil being used as much for hydraulics as lubrication these days, whether it's my 1971 Chevy C10, 1985 Ford F150, my mom's 2011 Rogue, 2014 Challenger, I change filter every PM.

Now, I will grant that engines from the 21st century usually dont have anywhere near as much blowby carbon in their oil as my 53 year old engine, but they do have some, and also have much finer...aka more sensitive to wear...internal tolerances. they make less of it but they need less of it to be damaged. And with oil being used as much for hydraulics as lubrication these days, whether it's my 1971 Chevy C10, 1985 Ford F150, my mom's 2011 Rogue, 2014 Challenger, I change filter every PM.
Are you sure about that?

Are you sure about that?
The 'out of spec' rod bearing tolerance for my 10 year old Pentastar V6 is still well within acceptable tolerances for my 53 year old 250cid Chevy. 🤷 0.0002" vs 0.0007" respectively. Much tighter tolerances.

Want to share a few articles with all as this has helped me with understanding the basics. As to whether one should extend the use of the filter for a period different than the period a supply of oil is put into service, it will not per se help that debate, except that perhaps the debate about the meaning of things can end so that the debate of the point can begin.

Title: The Truth About Oil Filter Micron Ratings
Author: unknown
Publisher: Ecogard
Website: https://www.ecogard.com/resources/articles/truth-about-oil-filter-micron-ratings/
Date: February 27, 2018; 5/2/2024 (Retrieved)

Title: Understanding Filter Efficiency and Beta Ratios
Author: Jeremy Wright
Publisher: Noria
Website: https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/1289/oil-filter-efficiency
Date: January 2008; 5/2/2024 (Retrieved)

Title: Important Factors of Oil Filtration
Publisher: Noria
Website: https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/31813/oil-filtration-factors
Date: 5/2/2024 (Retrieved)

Title: Oil Filtration Basics: Capacity, Efficiency, Flow and Durability
Author:
Publisher AMSOIL
Date: September 14, 2023; 5/2/2024 (Retrieved)

Title: Air Filter Efficiency - What Is It and How Is It Measured?
Publisher: Donaldson
Website: https://www.donaldson.com/en-us/engine/filters/technical-articles/air-filter-efficiency/
Date: 5/2/2024 (Retrieved)

Want to share a few articles with all as this has helped me with understanding the basics. As to whether one should extend the use of the filter for a period different than the period a supply of oil is put into service, it will not per se help that debate ...
Oil filters lose efficiency as they load up more with debris, as shown in post 83. Some filters are worse than others. For long OCIs, a filter with a high ISO 4548-12 efficiency and long use rating (high holding capacity) is the best filter to use. Don't use a filter with an ISO efficiency of 50% @ 20 microns or 95-99% @ 40+ microns for example. If it loads up pretty good, the efficiency will be horrible at the end of the OCI.

Back