Is this mechanic right about not filling filter with oil?

I hold the gas pedal to the floor and crank over the engine (3) 15 second times. Works every time.
The engine is still rotating, but probably better than turning under cylinder explosions. Prefilling might help the starter last longer too. ;)

I hold the gas pedal to the floor and crank over the engine (3) 15 second times. Works every time.
Yikes. The stater is taking some extra abuse. Not every car has that feature, so others reading this be aware. Redlining your car with an empty filter isn’t wise.

Is there any manual out there that specifies filling the filter?
From what I've seen posted here, the answer is "no". Oh wait, someone will point out some Caterpillar engine that used in massive equipment that does recommend pre-filling the oil filter.... I have never seen any oil filter manufacturer say to do it nor any typical automotive manufacturer, i.e. Ford, Honda, Toyota, GM, etc.

"vertical" can mean right side up or upside down. We could talk about which way is upside down.

I’ve heard factory instructors in Cat and Cummins tech classes say to always install filters dry Citing contamination concerns. Leads to debates in the class. I’ve concluded the factory guys promote this process in order to sell more bottom end service parts in the future.

To avoid confusion people use "base end" and "dome end" of the oil filter. So if someone says "vertical with base end down" it's clear what the orientation is.
Cat_Oil_Filter.jpg

It doesn't really matter. Neither does it matter to flood mode.

Just let it idle for some seconds before taking off and it'll be fine. Many forget that there is still a film of oil left within the time you change it that'll give lubrication in those seconds so its not a big deal.

Dome end, and thread or base end bypass, makes it clear. Watching wcw youtubes posted, he always refers to thread/base end as "upper" bypass. It's not upper if it's mounted vertical thread end down. And generally speaking, base is mostly commonly taken as the bottom or lower. For vertical orientation, vertical thread/base end up or down, again makes it clear.

Last edited:
I don't fill them. Because it probably matters 0.0000000001% in regard to my engine lasting 200k or more miles. And I'm prone to making messes without doing something like filling an oil filter.

But do what gives you a full 8 hours of sleep. Your time, $$$, and car!

Back