Pre-Fill Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an e-core just waiting for my next oil change.

There are 5 symbols.

1st: Wipe the base

2nd: Lube the gasket

3rd Hand tighten until gasket contacts the base.

4th Then add 3/4 turn

5th Check for leaks. ( Which is an oil drop with a line through )

When I did an oil change on my car last time, I noticed that on the filter I was installing (ST3593A), there were a bunch of symbols on it. One indicated to turn the filter an additional 3/4-turn when installing it.

The one that caught my eye, however, was what seemed to be a symbol to NOT prefill the filter. The symbol was a drop above a filter with a line going through it.

Anyone else notice this?

if this is a question as to prefill or not?? I do not care what a filter company thinks of the practice of pre-filling for I will always pre-fill the filter at least halfway full. I have listened too and have heard the results of not doing it and I personaly don't like the sound!! Just think of a empty filter being full of air and when the engine is started ask yourself where that air is going to go? The more oil in the filter to begin with and there will be a lot less air to be pumped past the bearings! I always pre-fill!!!!!!

What could possibly be wrong with filling the filter prior to installing? It can be a bit messier; other than that I can't think of anything. I'm sure someone knows why prefilling warnings are posted.

he mis-interpreted the symbol, folks, read the 2nd post again.

btw, if prefilling is so absolutely wonderful, why do so many very healthy engines have the filter mounted thread down? (kinda tough to prefill)

I always prefill the filter or I disconect the wiring harness to the fuel rail and crank for about 15 seconds to avoid the knocking sound at start up.

quote:

Originally posted by kenw:

btw, if prefilling is so absolutely wonderful, why do so many very healthy engines have the filter mounted thread down? (kinda tough to prefill)

Just because the some filters are mounted upside down (My Opinion, OK) doesn't mean it's incorrect to fill others prior to installation. Thread side down looks like a double whammy. Can't prefill the filter and the oil pump must fill the filter against gravity.

quote:

Originally posted by JavaMan:
Just because the some filters are mounted upside down (My Opinion, OK) doesn't mean it's incorrect to fill others prior to installation. Thread side down looks like a double whammy. Can't prefill the filter and the oil pump must fill the filter against gravity.

Maybe that's why filters are getting smaller?

Maybe it only take a second to fill a filter and you have a by-pass relief valve that allows oil past the filter....

Ask yourselves how much oil flow does the oil pump put out and how long do you think it would take to fill a filter.

You could prefill the inlet side and then let the anti-drainback valve "do it's thing" and hope not too much oil permeates the filtration media while you quickly install the filter.

I suppose a pump type oil can would work well to get the oil into the outer cavity. Be careful not to damage the silicone ADB valve.

You'd still only be able to fill about half the filter but it's better then nothing.

quote:

Originally posted by kenw:

You could also fill the outlet side, as usual, and twist the filter around so that the oil is forced through the media by centrifugal force.

thats what i do on mine where the filter is angled down. i just fill it up once, and then slowly spin the filter on its side and the oil soaks in and very little gets spilled when i install it.

The fewer revolution's my engine goes through without oil pressure, the better. Pre-filling, in an anal kind of way, helps satisfy that; heh.

quote:

Originally posted by Virtuoso:
The fewer revolution's my engine goes through without oil pressure, the better. Pre-filling, in an anal kind of way, helps satisfy that; heh.

I've got a ginormous oil cooler that empties when I take the filter off, not much I can do to avoid it. That quarter if a quart I perfill doesn't do me much good when it has to put a quart in the cooler.
frown.gif

Now there's a thing about new oil being dirty out of the bottle so a pre-fill would not be great at start-up.I've seen a old Ford crown Vic V-6 run for about 15 minutes at 3000 rpm with-out oil & coolant before it blew...our Jeep club had a raffle to guess the time it would blow for charity...poor car ran great for 15 minutes then boom... a couple seconds of lag time for oil at start-up is nothing in my books.

quote:

Originally posted by Filter guy:
I have an e-core just waiting for my next oil change.

There are 5 symbols.

1st: Wipe the base

2nd: Lube the gasket

3rd Hand tighten until gasket contacts the base.

4th Then add 3/4 turn

5th Check for leaks. ( Which is an oil drop with a line through )

Thanks FG... I wish they had a legend on the box explaining what the symbols were. Just wondering, how did you figure the symbols out?

By the way, that's all my question was about, the symbols on the oil filter. This thread is not intended to be a prefill debate... although people are free to do so.
smile.gif

Since this has turned into a prefilling debate, I have a question: when does the oil pump start working... is it when the engine is actually turns over or when the ignition is turned on?

When I bought my car, the dealer told me that prior to starting the car, to turn the ignition on (electrical items turn on), wait for the engine light to turn off, then start the car. I'm thinking now that's to allow the oil pump to start up. Does that make sense?

quote:

Originally posted by sjlee:
Since this has turned into a prefilling debate, I have a question: when does the oil pump start working... is it when the engine is actually turns over or when the ignition is turned on?

When I bought my car, the dealer told me that prior to starting the car, to turn the ignition on (electrical items turn on), wait for the engine light to turn off, then start the car. I'm thinking now that's to allow the oil pump to start up. Does that make sense?

Nope, the oil starts pumping when the engine turns over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back