Leaky Oil Filter Thoughts?

So, I recently discovered my truck being 2 quarts low and it has never done that before (thread for reference here: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/16-f150-5-0-first-time-oil-consumption.369994/ ) Agreed best plan is to go ahead and change the oil, start fresh, and closely watch over the next OCI.

Last night I did the oil change and discovered something odd (for me) with the filter. The side that would have been the "bottom" when installed was totally cruddy, base plate and the bottom of the can. At first I thought it was corrosion around the edge and I credited it to our icy winter we had, the road salt, and not being able to clean my truck as much over the winter. But I had never had an oil filter do it before either so I wasn't sure.
I wiped off the can, put it to the side, and started to clean the tray that catches the oil that spilled out when removing the filter (Side note: I always wipe this tray out to spotless after taking off an old filter off). This time the tray was full of heavy, black crud and took about 10 minutes to get it clean.
My thoughts then went to the filter leaked. Nothing heavy, but just enough that over 6 months and 6,400 miles the truck ended up being 2 quarts low. I inspected the filter a little closer and I am thinking what I first thought is rust is actually oil that had seeped out and burnt(?) to the edge of the base plate? Maybe a pinhole spot in the base plate or can? That possible? I took the gasket off and inspected it and couldn't find any defects, thin areas, tears, etc. Maybe debris between the gasket and engine? I always make sure to wipe everything clean before installing the new, but cannot see perfectly to the mounting point as my truck is not on a lift when I change the oil and Ford has the filter in a tough spot to see clearly on the '16 5.0 when laying on your back.

Open to all thoughts / speculations / ideas as this is a first for me and just curious what the issue could have possibly been.
Still have the filter as I plan to cut it open in a week or two to see what the inside looks like as this is my first Microgard Select I have used.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Oil FIlter 1.jpg
    Oil FIlter 1.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 132
  • Oil Filter 2.jpg
    Oil Filter 2.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 123
  • Oil Filter 3.jpg
    Oil Filter 3.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 127
  • Oil Filter 4.jpg
    Oil Filter 4.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 130
The metal can seems to have rusted, probably due to road salt/urea, and that allowed the seam to start leaking. Does seem odd for that short service period, but who knows. Thin metal rusts quickly.

Thanks, guys! I've never paid close attention to the finish on the base plate of other filters, but this one does seem to be just a raw, unfinished / uncoated metal. Maybe could have contributed to the speed of corrosion / degradation?

Since salt and oil changes have been part of your life forever and this rusty baseplate is odd, one can assume the filter company used inappropriate or cheaper metal for these baseplates.

I doubt the rust was caused by some omitted 'baseplate clearcoat' (ha-ha) step or some change in the salt used on your roads.
They just bought shoddier material.
Be glad it didn't blow off whilst driving.

Thanks, guys! I've never paid close attention to the finish on the base plate of other filters, but this one does seem to be just a raw, unfinished / uncoated metal. Maybe could have contributed to the speed of corrosion / degradation?
If you're from the same neck of the woods I'm from, MO, we are in the salt belt. Does this filter hang towards the road side? (a lot do) It does appear that the seam has come loose & allowed oil to potentially seep past.

Looks like Microgard paints the can before crimping it to the base plate, whereas most other filters are painted after the can is crimped to the base plate which would help seal that seam between the can and base plate.

If you're from the same neck of the woods I'm from, MO, we are in the salt belt. Does this filter hang towards the road side? (a lot do) It does appear that the seam has come loose & allowed oil to potentially seep past.
I'm in the Cape Girardeau area. Filter is on the front, but not totally exposed to the road. Has some parts shielding it from being fully exposed, but on a sloppy day in the winter, I don't doubt spray and splash make their way to it no problem.

I'm in the Cape Girardeau area. Filter is on the front, but not totally exposed to the road. Has some parts shielding it from being fully exposed, but on a sloppy day in the winter, I don't doubt spray and splash make their way to it no problem.
By Sedalia here, So what filter do you plan to use next if you plan to change it at all? I wouldn't be happy with this filter IMO. but as others have noted there may be some things you can look out for as a replacement.

By Sedalia here, So what filter do you plan to use next if you plan to change it at all? I wouldn't be happy with this filter IMO. but as others have noted there may be some things you can look out for as a replacement.
I put another Select on since I already had it, but for sure keeping a close eye on everything. Will see how this one fares and looks after the OCI, as long as no similar issues cause me to change early. Not thrilled it happened, but I'm honestly much happier with a random one off filter issue (that thankfully didn't lead to any other problems) than my truck all of the sudden consuming 2 qts oil like I thought it had.
I'm sure by the time the next OC comes around I'll have another filter I'll want to try, though, LOL.

I put another Select on since I already had it, but for sure keeping a close eye on everything. Will see how this one fares and looks after the OCI, as long as no similar issues cause me to change early. Not thrilled it happened, but I'm honestly much happier with a random one off filter issue (that thankfully didn't lead to any other problems) than my truck all of the sudden consuming 2 qts oil like I thought it had.
I'm sure by the time the next OC comes around I'll have another filter I'll want to try, though, LOL.
Solid plan (y)

I just inspected the new filter and this one is also leaking around the gasket. Its just a very slow seep around the gasket and was wet all the way around, but nothing in the tray below. Going to grab something different tomorrow and swap em out.
Never had to do this so how much oil should I expect to lose swapping the filters? I have 2 quarts left of the new oil from the OC. Need to grab any more? The truck will be sitting overnight before doing it, so I should expect the majority will be in the pan, right?

Last edited:
Never had to do this so how much oil should I expect to lose swapping the filters? I have 2 quarts left of the new oil from the OC. Need to grab any more?
Probably only lose about 1/2 qt max.

Sounds like you got some defective filters.

Double check the filter mount to make sure it's clean and no flaws that could cause the base gasket to not seal 100%.

Probably only lose about 1/2 qt max.

Sounds like you got some defective filters.

Double check the filter mount to make sure it's clean and no flaws that could cause the base gasket to not seal 100%.

Praying this one works. Surprisingly, all the filters I considered replacing with use louvers. Mobil 1, K&N, Wix, and the new Fram. Went with the new Fram as it was the lowest priced option and really want to open it up when I’m done to see how the media looks.

Going to inspect the Select filters closer this coming week, too.

I wiped all around the mount. The top was dirty, but the actual face of the mount the gasket goes against was free of debris and no defects could be felt.

Praying this one works. Surprisingly, all the filters I considered replacing with use louvers. Mobil 1, K&N, Wix, and the new Fram. Went with the new Fram as it was the lowest priced option and really want to open it up when I’m done to see how the media looks.

Going to inspect the Select filters closer this coming week, too.

I wiped all around the mount. The top was dirty, but the actual face of the mount the gasket goes against was free of debris and no defects could be felt.
Is there any sign of the baseplate being too high & stopping the filter from threading on tight enough? Your last picture above almost looks like it's protruding a little(?)

Is there any sign of the baseplate being too high & stopping the filter from threading on tight enough? Your last picture above almost looks like it's protruding a little(?)
That is something that could have been happening. After looking over the Select before removing it and after installing the Fram, I feel like something may have been stopping the new Select from threading on far enough as the red gasket was still showing a bit whereas the Fram seats snug and I can't see the gasket at all. Very well could have been what happened with the first Select I used, but I wasn't watching for it then.

Back