Fram ultra quality control

I've never really given much thought into looking inside the filter at that steel mesh screen, but today I'm in the middle of an oil change on my new old dodge which is a major pain to get the oil filter off compared to my other cummins truck, anyways, after fighting with that for way too long I noticed my filter doesn't have many holes in the base plate. So I happen to have another 3976a filter on hand and this one has more holes, but then I look inside and see most of the holes in that mesh screen are barely open, but then the filter with less holes in the base plate has bigger holes in that mesh screen. The grey filter is an oem cummins/fleetguard/mopar filter to show the difference.

20240123_135039.jpg

20240123_141824.jpg

20240123_152131.jpg

This has been covered many times:
- the holes in the baseplate will flow way more than than the PD pump will push; it's moot
- as for the "mesh screen", are you referring to the wire backing on the media, or is there a louvered center tube? It's been a common complaint that louvers are often not well formed. Never heard this about a wire mesh backing.

This has been covered many times:
- the holes in the baseplate will flow way more than than the PD pump will push; it's moot
- as for the "mesh screen", are you referring to the wire backing on the media, or is there a louvered center tube? It's been a common complaint that louvers are often not well formed. Never heard this about a wire mesh backing.
I'm talking about the louvers on the center tube are mostly closed off, yes sorry.

Dnewton3, so you're saying even the fram with only 6 holes is more than enough for the oil pump on the cummins?

Appears the top filter is the older Ultra with the full synthetic media and the mesh to hold it in place.
That's the one where atleast half the louvers in the center tube are closed off. The one below it with only 6 holes in the base plate has nice opened up louvers.

Back when they were more common I dissected several filters with louvers - the tube louvers always looked more open once out of the can and looked at from all angles … Not on this train …

To my eye neither one of the Ultra filter baseplates shown look to be a typical Fram baseplate. Perhaps because they are diesel filters. Just speculating, being relatively low volume sellers wondering if they are a made for Fram. Personally, I wouldn't worry about the flow of either Ultra as regards inlet holes. I'd bet total area of inlet holes at least equal to inner diameter area of the filter mounting stud. Likely, greater than that. As for louvers, I can't see them, so would only be suspecting. Always more louver openings than holes, and they face in two directions, to top and bottom. Just something to keep in mind.

I will say this, no doubt that Mopar some serious inlet holes, openings and number. That said, see inlet area vs outlet mounting stud ID area previously mentioned.

To my eye neither one of the Ultra filter baseplates shown look to be a typical Fram baseplate. Perhaps because they are diesel filters. Just speculating, being relatively low volume sellers wondering if they are a made for Fram. Personally, I wouldn't worry about the flow of either Ultra as regards inlet holes. I'd bet total area of inlet holes at least equal to inner diameter area of the filter mounting stud. Likely, greater than that. As for louvers, I can't see them, so would only be suspecting. Always more louver openings than holes, and they face in two directions, to top and bottom. Just something to keep in mind.

I will say this, no doubt that Mopar some serious inlet holes, openings and number. That said, see inlet area vs outlet mounting stud ID area previously mentioned.
Here's a pic of the one I just took off. Totally closed off imo.

20240123_163846.jpg

Here's a pic of the one I just took off. Totally closed off imo....
From that angle they don't appear fully open. Since you have it off, does that mean you're done using it? If so, cut it open and take a closer look with media removed. Even with some type of light source to outside and/or down center tube and post pics. "From what I can see", fwiw agree with your point on louvers.

I prefer the gray Mopar (FleetGuard) filter over the Fram for my Cummins. Changing it once or twice a year, it is worth the extra dollar or two.

Back