2nd Fram Ultra in a row with holes in the crimp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some people don’t like Purolator because of some past issues with torn anti drain back valves and off-kilter alignment, but these seem isolated to me. Some think the Boss has an inefficient particle filter capability but the recent testing I’ve seen shows it’s better than other M+H filters.
Some think that because it’s published information. Can you link where you saw that it’s better than other M+H filters? What I’ve seen so far is dismal.

He can’t plain and simple. truth. I’ll take a Prime Guard any day
The data is limited, yes. However, according to this test, it filters significantly more from 20-30 mu than the Wix XP. Maybe that's not saying much due to the comparatively better performance of others, but it is a data point consistent with what I said: Boss has better performance.

1699980716090.png

There was also some recent empirical testing done by BrandRanks which is also consistent with this. I won't post the full link because I refuse to defend their methods. I specifically said the testing I have seen recently shows the Boss being better. Please note that this statement is true regardless of the validity of the testing. So, please take it for what it's worth.

1699980605781.png

I'd love to see a comparison between the Boss and standard Wix and Mobil 1.

Last edited:
Reactions: twX
The data is limited, yes. However, according to this test, it filters significantly more from 20-30 mu than the Wix XP. Maybe that's not saying much due to the comparatively better performance of others, but it is a data point consistent with what I said: Boss has better performance.

View attachment 188520

There was also some recent empirical testing done by BrandRanks which is also consistent with this. I won't post the full link because I refuse to defend their methods. I specifically said the testing I have seen recently shows the Boss being better. Please note that this statement is true regardless of the validity of the testing. So, please take it for what it's worth.

View attachment 188519

Right okay. When you compare those two, worse vs. worst.

There was also some recent empirical testing done by BrandRanks which is also consistent with this.
I also tend to trust these independent tests more than I trust the Purolator data sheets. It's not just filtration efficiency that seems to be a lot different, but restriction as well. Those independent tests show 3-4 times more restriction than is shown on the data sheets for similarly sized BOSS filters at the same flow rate with similar oil viscosity.

Interestingly, if the Purolator BOSS filters were tested at the same flow rate as the PurolatorOne filters are tested at (11.35 L/min instead of the claimed 25 L/min), the dP values on the data sheets would right in line with the independent tests. I suspect the BOSS filters are actually tested at the lower flow rate, despite claiming a nominal flow rate of 25 L/min.

It is weird that every BOSS filter model over multiple years of testing has the exact same 46/22 micron test results. The results of actual tests would have some variance. They probably tested one filter model years ago, and have been doing copy/paste jobs since.

View attachment 188520

View attachment 188519

Something isn't right with that Brand Ranks "efficiency test" when you look at where the Boss sits in the Ascent's test results. No way the Boss is more efficient than the Royal Purple.

Something isn't right with that Brand Ranks "efficiency test" when you look at where the Boss sits in the Ascent's test results. No way the Boss is more efficient than the Royal Purple.
My guess is whatever dirt they use isn't mixed well enough and is agglomerating and making for inconsistent results. In general any home lab setup is never going to accurately show anything and as much as people are always disheartened to hear, only tests done on calibrated lab equipment with very controlled procedures is ever going to yield any worthwhile results and all these home labs are just a waste of time.

^^^ Exactly, that's why Ascent's test results shows something isn't right about the Boss in the Brand Ranks test. The Purolator/M+H spec sheets also show pretty horrible efficiency on the Boss. Now a garage test shows it's the best filter on the market. Dont think so. 😂

I saw the YT video yesterday. Problem I have with these DIY test is these are one off sample and not a population sample of the same filters to see their measured variations during testing to result some form of statistical average and consistency. Its nice to see the non-wire backed Ultra is holding up well to the Endurance.

I'll just have to wait until I pull the Ultra XG3600 out of my car to see how well it held up to get a feel.

Do you have any data of another M+H performing better than a Boss? I have no dog in any fight, I genuinely just want to gather data.
That's a pretty broad question since M+H makes all kinds of oil filters. The regular PureONE has better efficiency than the Boss. Regardless of what you think from the Brand Ranks test, the Boss isn't as efficiency as a Royal Purple, Ultra or Endurance.

Can efficiency increase as a filter gets dirty? If so, maybe that can have a differential effect depending on test duration and gross particle load.

That's a pretty broad question since M+H makes all kinds of oil filters. The regular PureONE has better efficiency than the Boss. Regardless of what you think from the Brand Ranks test, the Boss isn't as efficiency as a Royal Purple, Ultra or Endurance.
I don’t think anything, I just want to see data.

Can efficiency increase as a filter gets dirty? If so, maybe that can have a differential effect depending on test duration and gross particle load.
On oil filters the efficiency generally gets worse as it loads because the pressure against the remaining openings in the media increases forcing more particles through, air filters get more efficient but air filtration is a little different and I think the properties of a dust cake on air filters are entirely a different mechanism than a clogging oil filter. I think the reason we're seeing these results is that their dirt load was not mixed to were the individual particles were properly dispersed in the oil and the particles agglomerated the larger resulting particles are more easily filtered out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back