Fill oil filter at every oil change

I was watching a video recently where the person suggest filling the filter with oil before putting it on because it reduce wear that can occur when you restart the car after an oil change. The idea is that you get some wear because the engine don't get oil until the filter fills with oil and transfer to the engine. Is there some truth to this. This is the first time I heard of it.

Paul

If it feels good, do it. This gets discussed a lot.
smile.gif

There's some truth to it, probably more of a problem on diesels with huge oil filters I believe CAT recommends prefilling oil filters, but we're talking about filters that probably hold a couple quarts on their own. Most passenger car filters should fill pretty quick and any left over oil in the engine should lubricate it while the filter primes, some people like to crank over the car for a few seconds in clear flood mode to prime the filter before starting the car.

Did that horse come alive again?

If the filter is base-up, pre-fill away. I like to pour a bit in to wet the media so it doesn't get a 50psi shockwave of cold oil.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Apparently today is the day for massively discussed subjects to be discussed yet again.

Seems like there used to be another member from Schaumburg IL. Haven't heard from him lately.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
smile.gif

I disagree. It's very important to fill the oil filter first. If you forget to fill the oil filter and start your car and remember you forgot to fill the oil filter IMMEDIATELY shut your car down, drain the oil (there are extra metals and wear particles because you forgot to fill the new filter with oil), refill with fresh oil, do a UOA of the old oil, put a new filter on filled with oil (there might be metal in the old one due to the millisecond it took to fill it) package the old oil & filter up and PM me so I can dispose of it properly due to the extra metals from an unfilled oil filter (I'll pay up to $10 in shipping if it's a name I've heard of synthetic), then turn your car to the "on" position and off 3 times, then start it, flash your high beams 5 times, and drive with your flashers on for the first 25 miles. It's IMPERATIVE you follow this procedure but ONLY if it's 0w20 and a filter that fits a Subaru or Toyota because I need the used oil and filter you RUINED for my cars.

Originally Posted by Paul_Siu
Is there some truth to this. This is the first time I heard of it.

Paul

Yes, a degree of conditional truth

In the perfect world, yes there is a microsecond where a "void' of lubricant could have an adverse effect but on planet reality these scenarios are the exception.

Basically there are 2 types of systems where caution is advised.

One is a true high stress/pressure machine where that millisecond void ( or dip) in lubrication can matter

The other is where inrush pressure ( and fluid density in a Poisson effect) can "crush" an empty filter ( sometimes happens on screw compressors)

Usually machines in these risk categories have safeguards like prestart flow pumps, running to temp/pressure before start or a no load ramp cycle , minimum pressure valves and so forth but you are better off filling the filter.

Whether that matters on an IC engine or not? I seriously doubt it and would need some detailed FEA to convince me otherwise.

Sorry I did not realize this was a commonly asked question. I did do a few searches, but I didn't search for presoak filter, etc. I was curious to see if there is some truth to the statement. It also makes sense that this is more of an issue with vehicle with large filters.

If we just idle the car for a while, would that be enough to get oil circulating at lower rpm?

Paul

Sorry I did not realize this was a commonly asked question. I did do a few searches, but I didn't search for presoak filter, etc. I was curious to see if there is some truth to the statement. It also makes sense that this is more of an issue with vehicle with large filters.

If we just idle the car for a while, would that be enough to get oil circulating at lower rpm?

Paul

assuming all things equal and functioning properly

The oil is circulating the second the engine rotates and the pump is adequate for design lubrication at all ranges ( if you need more for a specific thing that's a different animal)

Originally Posted by HowAboutThis
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
smile.gif

I disagree. It's very important to fill the oil filter first. If you forget to fill the oil filter and start your car and remember you forgot to fill the oil filter IMMEDIATELY shut your car down, drain the oil (there are extra metals and wear particles because you forgot to fill the new filter with oil), refill with fresh oil, do a UOA of the old oil, put a new filter on filled with oil (there might be metal in the old one due to the millisecond it took to fill it) package the old oil & filter up and PM me so I can dispose of it properly due to the extra metals from an unfilled oil filter (I'll pay up to $10 in shipping if it's a name I've heard of synthetic), then turn your car to the "on" position and off 3 times, then start it, flash your high beams 5 times, and drive with your flashers on for the first 25 miles. It's IMPERATIVE you follow this procedure but ONLY if it's 0w20 and a filter that fits a Subaru or Toyota because I need the used oil and filter you RUINED for my cars.

What's your mailing address??

Originally Posted by rob1715
Yes, fill the filter, let it soak in, then refill. I get nearly 1/2 qrt. in mine.

You really don't need to "fill" the filter, the important part is getting the media soaked and once that happens the flow is almost instantaneous. Just add about 4 or 5 ounces let soak for a few minutes and you're done.

I pour a little earl into the filter.
When I start the engine, the engine fills up the rest.
Works pretty good, if ya ask me.
Nearly as good as bailin' war...

Originally Posted by ABN_CBT_ENGR

Paul

assuming all things equal and functioning properly

The oil is circulating the second the engine rotates and the pump is adequate for design lubrication at all ranges ( if you need more for a specific thing that's a different animal)

I think I a satisfy with the answer here. I no longer do my own oil change, but is interested in extending engine life. Also it seems super messy to install a oil filled filter.

Paul

I always add oil to my filter before installing it. I dont worry about filling it up, just fill and let it soak down then partially fill again and use the drips around the anti drain back to lube the O ring. I dont know if it helps but I did not like that 1-2 sec delay before my oil pressure gauge would start moving. With oil in the filter its up before I get completely off the key, but my filter is base up, on the motorcycle which has a horz. filter I just put a bit in to wet the filter media and lube the O ring.

Back