Anyone else pre-soak the filter?

If you fill through the large center hole, in 1-2 minutes the oil will flow through the filter media and occupy the space outside of the filter media (between the media and the canister). So IMO it's not necessary to go to such lengths to fill the filter exactly to the brim through the small outer holes, there's only a small airspace to be filled here and only a fraction of a second gained in oil pressure buildup. As long as the filter is primed with oil, I say it's good enough and I gotta draw the line somewhere LOL. But of course do whatever you want.

Originally Posted by DGXR
If you fill through the large center hole, in 1-2 minutes the oil will flow through the filter media and occupy the space outside of the filter media (between the media and the canister). So IMO it's not necessary to go to such lengths to fill the filter exactly to the brim ...
In my experience, that doesn't work with used spin-ons on which the ADBV is still functional, unless you open the ADBV slightly to vent air out per LMG1's method.

I've never dealt with an engine that allowed pre-filling "to the brim," anyway. Horizontal-axis mounts allow filling only roughly one-third full.

Originally Posted by CR94
Originally Posted by DGXR
If you fill through the large center hole, in 1-2 minutes the oil will flow through the filter media and occupy the space outside of the filter media (between the media and the canister). So IMO it's not necessary to go to such lengths to fill the filter exactly to the brim ...
In my experience, that doesn't work with used spin-ons on which the ADBV is still functional, unless you open the ADBV slightly to vent air out per LMG1's method.

I've never dealt with an engine that allowed pre-filling "to the brim," anyway. Horizontal-axis mounts allow filling only roughly one-third full.

Who is refilling a USED canister "spin on" filter? Holy Lord, so very OCD.
When re-using a filter, leave it on the engine, do not disturb.

It would be a good exercise to go through what happens when an engine starts step by step with an empty oil filter. I have noticed quiet then rattle then quiet In the pressurizing second or two. The oil pump starts almost immediately and the oil column is quite a force. When it hits an air chamber like an empty filter it seems like it pushes that air cell through the main bearings before the coming oil slug hits them. Maybe someone with more energy at home could work it through better. Filling a filter helps it can't hurt.

Every vehicle I've owned has been started at some point with a dry oil filter after an oil change. None of the vehicles I've had ever make any abnormal noises between starting the engine and seeing the oil light go out. Prefilling the filter as much as possible does make the the oil pressure light go out a few seconds faster ... that's all I've seen on my stuff. Nowadays, I do prefill the oil filter.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Every vehicle I've owned has been started at some point with a dry oil filter after an oil change. None of the vehicles I've had ever make any abnormal noises between starting the engine and seeing the oil light go out. Prefilling the filter as much as possible does make the the oil pressure light go out a few seconds faster ... that's all I've seen on my stuff. Nowadays, I do prefill the oil filter.

My 2 ancient V8s make zero noise on a dry start but my 2005 4.8 makes noise. From my days working in the express lube I can tell you a lot of vehicles make noise on a dry start. Most of them were timing chain rattle but all kinds of noises were common. I did 10-15 oil changes a day back then.

Back