Post a photo of your oil on dipstick (with miles)

Do you normally have to add oil?
I believe, over the ~3,000 miles I've been using the HPL oil... I may have had to top it off maybe about a totality of a quart? I took a trip replete with high speed driving probably about 300 miles before my trek towards Illinois (which will happen today) and it appears to not have used a drop.. so this tells me, it may have stopped using oil.

Took this photo and will re-check again in about an hour so we can reference the level and check it against what it shows when I reach my destination.

Ford may have stopped adding oil, as well .

HPL 5W40 Euro. 856 miles. Likely cleaning the dipstick during photo.

20230518_165515.jpg

2003 Passat W8 Wagon aka the Lord's VW (ok, if it had the 6 spd....). 116.6K odo/1.6K on the Liquimoly Leichtlauf High Tech 5W40. This thing doesn't burn a drop after 20 years.

20230526_122830.jpg

The Taurus. This morning. About 3000 miles on it
20230527_093244.jpg

The other one. HPL No VII 5W-30. About 8000 miles on it. No mercy. Driven like Michael Schumacher and/or Mario Andretti.

Here is the "color on the hands and a paper towel" test.
20230527_105255.jpg
20230527_105233.jpg

Here it is on the dipstick. Full cold. That looks beautiful. Drove all over last night, too..

20230527_105321.jpg
20230527_105323.jpg
20230527_105330.jpg

I check the oil 3 different times, different lighting and different levels each time, this is the best pic I get. First thing in the morning cold. More than 8000 pushing 9000 miles on HPL No VII 5W-30. Seems to be really polarized/attached to the metal on the dipstick... this is the best shot I got out of about 15.. sun angle bad...
20230530_072831.jpg

Here is the Taurus oil hot.. more than 3000 miles on it... topped it off from 7/8 up dipstick full to full to the crosshairs with the HPL 5W-30 NO VII... Level seems to have stopped going UP by itself so that is good, verified over past couple of months ....
20230530_073110.jpg

The Ford oil looks beautiful, the other oil looks like it's fighting sludge (or just plain old "engine of unknown history before 152,000 miles and whatever was in there) like the army of Sparta in 300 (the first one..) @High Performance Lubricants has an EXCELLENT oil... 🛢
23003.jpg

I check the oil 3 different times, different lighting and different levels each time, this is the best pic I get. First thing in the morning cold. More than 8000 pushing 9000 miles on HPL No VII 5W-30. Seems to be really polarized/attached to the metal on the dipstick... this is the best shot I got out of about 15.. sun angle bad...View attachment 158547

Here is the Taurus oil hot.. more than 3000 miles on it... topped it off from 7/8 up dipstick full to full to the crosshairs with the HPL 5W-30 NO VII... Level seems to have stopped going UP by itself so that is good, verified over past couple of months ....
View attachment 158548

The Ford oil looks beautiful, the other oil looks like it's fighting sludge (or just plain old "engine of unknown history before 152,000 miles and whatever was in there) like the army of Sparta in 300 (the first one..) @High Performance Lubricants has an EXCELLENT oil... 🛢
View attachment 158550
How is the consumption rate compared to previous oils used?

How is the consumption rate compared to previous oils used?
Much slower. I had to top it off at least a quart but that was in 2000 miles of driving. I'm continuing to monitor it but I notice improvement.

I'm doing like YouTuber "DIY Dave" on YouTube and keeping it 5W-30 and resisting every urge to just use a 40. I don't think there is NO consumption but.. using it around town I didn't see any. And I drive my car everything from bumper to bumper traffic to WOT throttle runs for minutes at a time chasing Chrysler 300s and things so. I don't try to doctor the results one way or the other...

That (WOT triple digits) happened yesterday as well and the oil level did not seem lower. I checked it 10 minutes ago and it was the pics in previous post...

I check the oil 3 different times, different lighting and different levels each time, this is the best pic I get. First thing in the morning cold. ... this is the best shot I got out of about 15.. sun angle bad...
When checking the oil level cold, typically the very first dipstick pull is the best because on subsequent checks, the dipstick tube might get oil drug through it and then smear the dipstick. If you're really good, the dipstick can be pulled once, checked and put back into the tube without even wiping the dipstick. ;)

When checking the oil level cold, typically the very first dipstick pull is the best because on subsequent checks, the dipstick tube might get oil drug through it and then smear the dipstick. If you're really good, the dipstick can be pulled once, checked and put back into the tube without even wiping the dipstick. ;)
That's it.

Back