Post a photo of your oil on dipstick (with miles)

One thing about mine, when it looks dark brown on the stick, it’s jet black in the pan.
That's just it. How a thin 1/32" film of it, (if that), looks clinging on a dipstick means nothing. A dipstick photo can make any oil look good. You can't see the bottom of the catch pan with most oils that are drained at 2,000 miles, when it's just an inch or two deep.

My HEMI takes 7 quarts. So I have a 2 quart graduated pouring pitcher I fill to accurately pour in the additional 2 quarts. I would guess the depth of the oil at the top of the 2 quart mark to be around 8 inches.

I can easily see the bottom of the pitcher clear as a bell when it's filled with the new oil. But the old oil coming out into the big drain pan isn't 2" deep. And there is no way you can see the bottom. Yet it looks almost like new on the dipstick before I drain it. And if anyone overchanges their oil, I do.

The last two are of it stone cold, first thing in the morning. Oil level looks 100% full, to the F mark on dipstick. Car mileage is 260,866 so again oil mileage is 2,103 on the @High Performance Lubricants 5W-30 NO VII oil; Oil pan was re-sealed during this OCI, several hundred miles after 0 mile on oil. 5/13/23.
From what you've shown, looks like it's right on the Full Cold mark when check stone cold, which means it should therefore be at the Full Hot mark if checked in the same parking spot 15-20 minutes after a fully hot engine shut-down.

Always wipe the dipstick first before a hot oil level check. You might be able to get away without a dipstick wipe on a stone cold level check because the oil had all night to drain off the dipstick.

1684184197265.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_3649.jpeg

Here is the dipstick out of my 2001 Jeep Cherokee that has sat since October 2014. Looks way overfilled after the third dip. Maybe where it’s been sitting and all of the oil is in the pan. I’ve never changed the oil in this particular one. It was never needed when I started changing oil then it blew up so yeah lol. 108,000 on vehicle.

View attachment 156341
Here is the dipstick out of my 2001 Jeep Cherokee that has sat since October 2014. Looks way overfilled after the third dip. Maybe where it’s been sitting and all of the oil is in the pan. I’ve never changed the oil in this particular one. It was never needed when I started changing oil then it blew up so yeah lol. 108,000 on vehicle.
Check to see if there is a TSB concerning that. There was with my 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee. My factory installed dipstick showed over 1 quart overfilled, after a 7 quart oil change with a new filter. (The manual shows the 5.7 HEMI as a 7 quart capacity).

Turns out I found out on the Jeep Forum there were a lot of 5.7 HEMI V-8's that got released with a batch of bad dipsticks. They listed the correct part # in the TSB, and I got a new one from the dealer. It now reads perfectly full with a 7 quart oil & filter change.

Back