Possible WIX failure?!? What could have happened?

Crap... Deja vu. So far I have not seen this failure mode with the 7356s, but the event sounds just like what happened to me with the Maxima. Filter looked fine and after some miles (cannot recall how many) it started leaking from the seam. Scary, as my son drives the CR-V out of state for school and he never ever checks anything in it...

Well WIX isn't playing around. A "filter rep" is driving 175 miles to personally come get the filter for analysis. All of the people I've contacted have been very 'accomodating' and seem to be worried about me being upset or wanting an engine replaced. I just keep telling them that if they want to make me happy, I just want to know, in detail, what went wrong with this filter. A replacement filter would be icing on the cake.

Originally Posted by tony1679
Well WIX isn't playing around. A "filter rep" is driving 175 miles to personally come get the filter for analysis. All of the people I've contacted have been very 'accomodating' and seem to be worried about me being upset or wanting an engine replaced. I just keep telling them that if they want to make me happy, I just want to know, in detail, what went wrong with this filter. A replacement filter would be icing on the cake.

That's pretty crazy having someone drive there in person. Ask him what kind of analysis/testing they might do. I'd hint that the base seam is suspect, and may be leaking under normal engine oil pressure. I'm sure they can test for that quite easy in the lab.

Originally Posted by tony1679

Replacement CAR ... it doesn't hurt to ask ... !

On an `06 Honda Odyssey (same filter number) I had a Wix/Napa Gold (i forget) leak clearly at the pinch seam, this was about 3-4 years ago before Mann Hummel was involved.

Was fine after install, about 3500 miles into the oil/filter run I noticed the leak. I did a oil/filter change to resolve the problem.

My leak was more of a weep than a total mess.

What’s with dredging up these two year old dead threads? And as for “I just put my first WIX ever in the car last weekend”, I have been using WIX filter for more than 20 years and never had one fail. Also on my Kubota diesel tractor I bought new 21 years ago and it still runs like the day I bought it.

Just put a wix on my car this past weekend. First time using wix filters and this pops up lol 😧
Don't sweat it! I used Wix and or Napa Gold for a lot of years on my 1998 & 2006 Chrysler T&C as well as a 2002 Durango. Logged many miles with never a problem.

I have switched to Mopar filters in the last couple years because they are readily available where I get my oil and are the same price or less than the Wix.

Just my $0.02

Rather than cut this filter open, it would make more sense to re-install it, start the car and see if it is leaking. Once you cut it apart you risk losing what evidence you had. How do you know the car doesn't have some gross leak going on elsewhere....(other than observing after you changed the oil)?

This is an interesting issue, and I hope Wix satisfies the thread-starter.

It hasn't dissuaded me from using Wix filters with confidence.

Though, I will be accomplishing careful VISUAL inspections of all oil filters going forward.

Has any oil filter mfgr been immune to quality defects?

Doubtful...

What’s with dredging up these two year old dead threads? And as for “I just put my first WIX ever in the car last weekend”, I have been using WIX filter for more than 20 years and never had one fail. Also on my Kubota diesel tractor I bought new 21 years ago and it still runs like the day I bought it.
I'm just curious to know what the outcome was.
I've used Wix filters mainly for years too, and other then one getting hit with road debris (leaked only thankfully), never had an issue with them...

His profile says his last activity was like November 2019. I have used many many Wix filters (even been to the WIX plant in Gastonia a few times.) They all seem well made and I have never seen an issue, though I'm sure some have had issues. No filter manufacturer is immune.

His profile says his last activity was like November 2019. I have used many many Wix filters (even been to the WIX plant in Gastonia a few times.) They all seem well made and I have never seen an issue, though I'm sure some have had issues. No filter manufacturer is immune.
Yes but clicking on his username to view his profile tells you something else.

Back