Possible WIX failure?!? What could have happened?

The hole in the picture is odd. I check the filter out before installing, I hope I would have noticed that one. I've got two wix installed right now. The filter in the picture almost looks like it was damaged post build.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Farnsworth
How did the oil get above the filter on the mount? You should find out soon if the new filter changes the situation. She had too low oil pressure at one point. If the seam isn't visibly distorted it is pretty leak proof. This isn't Wix's first rodeo on filter making.even if half a dozen people guess the seam failed with no real evidence. One of the can flutes does look creased hard in the photo maybe it's illusion.

Was it actually the oil filter leaking ? You should have run the car on jacks and looked carefully for leaks. The filter in the picture on the car looks pretty clean given the leakage of 2+ quarts of oil. A weeping gasket is not going to coat the underside of the car.

Originally Posted by geeman789
The filter in the picture on the car looks pretty clean given the leakage of 2+ quarts of oil.
Yes, the picture is shockingly deceptive. Trust me, the oil was everywhere.

I currently have a 51516 installed on my S-series and it appears to be leaking. Have not noticed this issue with other filters yet. I won't worry about it for this OCI, just top off as needed. Will go back to the TG3600 next change.

Huh.... Yeah this is starting to look like a not so good deal here.

I have a Wix 57356 on my car right now and it is doing great... With 6700 miles on it.

I purchased 2 more Napa Gold aka Wix 57356 for my car... Going to keep a darn good eye on them .

24 pictures incoming:

20191015_205815.jpg

20191015_205826.jpg

20191015_205832.jpg

20191015_205839.jpg

20191015_205844.jpg

20191015_205849.jpg

20191015_205853.jpg

20191015_205858.jpg

[Linked Image]

Looks real pathetic this ...................

Need to cut open the thing and inspect the inside too

Wonder if its original or a screenprint copy ex the land of bad copies in the east

So the two previously circled spots were nothing. There's no warpage/holes. The "hole" circled on the left was a stuck piece of foreign material that lifted off somewhat easily (but it was tacky). By request, I completely cleaned the filter of all oil except for the internals obviously. There's no dents/damage whatsoever. I'm 90% sure the peeling of the sticker in the first of the 3 new sets of pics was from my band wrench trying to remove it. I see absolutely nothing wrong with this filter after taking a much closer second look. I'm at a loss.
21.gif

I know some of the photos seem the same, but follow the "20" stamped on the base plate. For several pics I turned it 90° just to give multiple angles and to be thorough.

So now the question is, well, poll time:

A. Cut it open
B. Send it to WIX

What say ye?

Originally Posted by LvR
[Linked Image]

Wonder if its original or a screenprint copy ex the land of bad copies in the east

It's a shadow... Ease up.

Edit: I was wrong. You're onto something. See more pics below.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by LvR
[Linked Image]

Could have been made on a Friday afternoon, or we've decided to move on from Fram and Motorcraft and pick on someone else.

Last edited:
Sorry if you find my comment upsetting but I beg to differ ............. you can clearly see the "shaddow" have the same properties even though you turned the filter through 90 degrees

A leaking base seam crimp isn't typically going to show any visual "smoking gun". Only way to verify would have been to clean it up when still mounted on the car, then watch for oil seeping out where the leak is under pressure while the engine is running.

Originally Posted by LvR
Sorry if you find my comment upsetting but I beg to differ ............. you can clearly see the "shaddow" have the same properties even though you turned the filter through 90 degrees
As I also stated in my edited post above, you are right and are onto something.

Thanks to LvR, I got out the big guns (bright flashlight). I think we may have a suspect. Look carefully and note the "20" orientation. The camera angle and flashlight were as consistent as possible.

20191015_214632.jpg

20191015_214657.jpg

20191015_214714.jpg

20191015_214731.jpg

20191015_214751.jpg

20191015_214814.jpg

Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger
Competing filter companies sending saboteurs to ruin the reputation of Gastonia's most respected export. I call shenanigans.
Obviously you didn't see my sig...

Back