Inexpensive filter for 10k oci on 2010 Focus

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a friend who drives a 2010 Ford Focus with about 140k miles. Money is very tight for her and she drives a lot of highway miles with her job.

I was doing some work on the car recently and she told me she uses Mobil 1 because it's good for 10k mile oil changes. The engine looks like it is in good shape except for a small leak. When I checked the oil, it had been a long while since the last change and yet it was right on full on the dipstick, so I don't think it's an oil burner.

The car currently has an orange Fram from the oil change shop. I think she should switch to diy changes with a better filter and maybe Supertech synth. What do you think?

Run the motorcraft filter at Walmart I believe it's the same price as the fram and get whichever oil you like. I believe the filter is the FL-910s. And get the motorcraft 5w20 sun blend for like $20.

C5D98A39-4AFD-4886-A733-69DC537A6016.png

EE38E9E3-F719-42AF-B409-3B638C335EAB.jpeg

Last edited:
How fast is the miles being racked up? IMO, if it's not on there for "long" time I'm thinking anything will work. I'm not sold on high end filters: if the filters, when cracked open, are not full of junk, then nothing fancy is required.

I only used a ST once and was not happy with the o-ring on the cannister, it did not last for the 10k OCI. It did not leak but was clearly end of life. I stick with OEM filters and buy in bulk to save a buck, but will use ST oil. YMMV.

I bett hey upsold her the M1 at a nice price. You can get M1 with the $12 rebate when it's on and it's the cheapest synthetic oil on the WM shelf. Get the WM ST or Motorcraft filter and done.

Are those filters good options for 10k oci? What about the media tearing in the Motorcraft?

I'm a Fram Ultra fan for my own cars, but I can get them cheap from eBay, and it's my money anyway...

I don't see why they wouldn't last 10k miles, and I don't believe the tearing ever happened with the motorcraft, but I'm not sure.

I'd get a fram ultra, or motorcraft.. I did use a few M1 filters because of rebate.

not a fan of supertech filters... but I've used them.

What's wrong with a Fram PH3614?

If you're looking to save every penny for your friend, there is a Rural King in Collinsville IL, and you can get Prime Guard and EcoGuard filters there for $1.99 all day, and synblend HiMi Harvest King 5qt jugs for $12.99. I wouldn't go over 5k with regularity on them, but if you're looking to do conventional or blend OCIs around 5k they are worth the $2. 53' Stude has cut some of them open in the filter section.

$15 for a 5k oil and filter change works out to 3 tenths of a penny per mile. At 10 years old and 140k, there's nothing wrong (or risky) with going this route.

Originally Posted by brages
We have a friend who drives a 2010 Ford Focus with about 140k miles. Money is very tight for her and she drives a lot of highway miles with her job.

I was doing some work on the car recently and she told me she uses Mobil 1 because it's good for 10k mile oil changes. The engine looks like it is in good shape except for a small leak. When I checked the oil, it had been a long while since the last change and yet it was right on full on the dipstick, so I don't think it's an oil burner.

The car currently has an orange Fram from the oil change shop. I think she should switch to diy changes with a better filter and maybe Supertech synth. What do you think?

Wix
Fram Toughguard
NAPA Gold

Well, I don't know your relationship with her but I'd be sensitive to her wishes. I take care of a few single Mom's and widow's cars and I always use the OEM filter. Toyota, Nissan, or Honda. In my opinion, I can never be held
at fault if something happens to their engine as I used an OEM filter and they know it. As far as oil goes I use Honda (Acura) oil in the Honda. Same principal as the oil filters mentioned previously. One wants Supertech oil.
One wants Quaker State. The other wants Pennzoil. I make them tell me what to use. It comes out of their mouth.

I also have one of those label strip printers that I print out the next oil change with miles and date. I stick it up in the top left corner of the vehicle. I'll text them and ask them where they are every month.

If she can't decide, you can't go wrong with the OEM filter and oil. Just make sure she agrees with you and doesn't feel coerced.

I have with agree with the Motorcraft FL-910s for the filter. For oil, Super Tech 5w20 Synthetic or Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5w20. The air filter is important, as well.

Originally Posted by MParr
I have with agree with the Motorcraft FL-910s for the filter. For oil, Super Tech 5w20 Synthetic or Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5w20. The air filter is important, as well.

I thought those focii had lifetime air filter (at least my duratech 2007 did)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Rand
Originally Posted by MParr

I thought those focii had lifetime air filter (at least my duratech 2007 did)

The lifetime setup was only for 07's (maybe 08) but that's it.
After that, Ford went back to the conventional setup.

Originally Posted by volk06
Originally Posted by brages
Here is a Motorcraft with a tear: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...626006/motorcraft-fl-500-c-p-with-a-tear

The filter referenced in the link is not the correct MC for this vehicle. This vehicle uses the FL-910S which there have not been the tearing reports like other purolators and MC filters.

See here: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...-p-fl910s-with-7-5k-no-tears#Post5300985

Here is a 910 with a tear:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3420462/1

Last edited:
For a cheap, readily available, day in, day out DIY change, Supertech Syn and a Supertech filter will do just fine for 90% of vehicles out there.
If she is mostly highway, then 10,000 miles would be fine on this combo.

As for the orange can Fram, it is now rated for 10,000 miles as well, so for her conditions, seems it would work also.

Fram TG or similar.

Havoline ProDS 5w-20 $19.97 for 6 quarts at Walmart.

10k OCI for $25.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back