Please Recommend Oil for my Pentastar 3.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
My car is a 2008 Chrysler PT Cruiser with a 2.4L non-turbo engine. This is what the owner's manual says: Use oil that meets the Chrysler MS-6395 standard, is certified by the API, and is 5W-30. I use Valvoline NextGen conventional 5W-30 and a WIX filter. I change it every 3,000 miles, as recommended.

Originally Posted By: qnyla
Originally Posted By: hemitruck
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

First off if you're concerned with your warranty your Wrangler calls for 5W20 not 5W30. Good luck with it! With any luck I'll be ordering a 2014 in a few months.

the 2012 wrangler reqiures 5-30.

Same Pentastar 3.6 engine in the Wrangler, same part numbers, for both 2012 and 2013, but 2012 specifies 5W30 and 2013 specifies 5W20.

A safe bet the change was made for ever tightening CAFE requirements, but both 2012 and 2013 are rated the same for MPG.

So the question is, what would you run in a 2013 Wrangler 5W20 or 5W30 ?

I also noticed the same thing with our 2011 Town & Country vs the 2013. My aunts 2014 Grand Cherokee says 5w20 so I wonder why they made the change...same motor different specs.

In the past I have taken my T&C and Grand Cherokee to my local dealership for oil changes. They use Peak Oil which on their web site did not have the MS-6395 listed, but all of the other cert. I know you will rip my dealership for using it but how could Chrysler get so nit picky with Mobil 1 not up to spec when the dealer isn't even using it. I have had the same dealer stand by their products on an Intrepid with engine failure (total replacement at 80,000 miles), I'm not that worried about what oil is used in and out of warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back