M1 vs Kirkland!

There are many instances where you see consistent results regardless of oil in certain engines. This says more about the engine than the oil IMO.

If you were to change the scenario such as running these two oils in a turbo and compare deposit control, you may then see a difference. Or beyond 15k miles etc.

There are many instances where you see consistent results regardless of oil in certain engines. This says more about the engine than the oil IMO.

If you were to change the scenario such as running these two oils in a turbo and compare deposit control, you may then see a difference. Or beyond 15k miles etc.
And that's UOA's in a nutshell.

If the equipment is healthy, the tool's job is to inform you of the contamination levels and suitability for continued service. If the equipment is unhealthy, you will ideally (but not always) see notable deviations from what you established as "normal" for that equipment through the extensive use of UOA's previously to establish a trend.

The misuse of this tool by Joe Average as an oil comparison tool has many parallels with the similar misuse of additive screening devices and EP pressure testing tools for gear oils by charlatans for the same purpose.

The misuse of this tool by Joe Average as an oil comparison tool has many parallels with the similar misuse of additive screening devices and EP pressure testing tools for gear oils by charlatans for the same purpose.
I think it’s the visual wow factor of a screeching and smoking contraption that, after all, results in an overall ranking of winners. Perfect for a traveling medicine show.

Completely agree. But then I wouldn't be using any oil in turbo application at 10K change intervals. My point was really that it looks like Warren used the M1 oil as a recipe. Also it might seem that at intervals less than 10K, the kirkland would be quite satisfactory. Especially since Costco has coupon sales periodically for $25 for 10 quarts. Just can't beat that.

Having tried a lot of the Kirkland brand stuff I’m sure this is good. Then again I’m doing 3 changes a year and would save a whopping $15 or so (for the year not each) so I’m not sure if it’s really worth giving up the M1 which I’ve been using for 2 decades in pretty much all of my cars. Peace of mind is worth a few bucks even if it’s just money to the wind in this case. Maybe if I was still driving a cheaper used car I’d be all over it but this is my first new car and I’d like to keep it for a long long time

How your neighbor views your motor oil as you're pouring it in:

Mobil 1: Our dentist uses that stuff in his Porsche. Impressive!
Kirkland: Value with a touch of style. Bet he grabbed the $5 rotisserie chicken too.
Supertech: That motor's gonna puke before he gets two blocks down the street.

Back