M1 vs Kirkland!

Someone created a youtube comparing M1 0W-20 AFE and Kirkland same weight. Used M1 for first 150,000 miles at 10K intervals in his Toyota, then decided to do some comparisons, sending samples in for analysis. While this is one car and one owners use, I find it illuminating.

OILS.jpg

We are seeing the results of these two oil keeping the parts seperated. Remember Kirkland isn't the official oil of NASCAR !

Looks like he needs to use a lab that properly measures fuel, that 1.3% is more like 4%.

What does one expect to see? UOA's aren't a tool designed to facilitate the comparison of oils to each other, simply confirm the health of the equipment and the oil's suitability for continued use.
I agree that the primary role of a UOA is the health of the equipment. Having said that, since both oils are D1-G3 (now), and the add packs are virtually identical, whats left? Perhaps deposits/varnish which this won't tell. But after 10K,the residual oil properties may be slightly shaded to Kirkland, or just call them even, indicating that perhaps 10K, at least on that Toyota, is a reasonable oil life for both oils.

I agree that the primary role of a UOA is the health of the equipment. Having said that, since both oils are D1-G3 (now), and the add packs are virtually identical, whats left? Perhaps deposits/varnish which this won't tell. But after 10K,the residual oil properties may be slightly shaded to Kirkland, or just call them even, indicating that perhaps 10K, at least on that Toyota, is a reasonable oil life for both oils.
Yes, similar LSPI-compliant metal constituents to the additive packages, but we don't know how those are delivered or what non-metallics are present either.

As I said in the other thread, using a UOA to try and compare oils is like stabbing your eyes out with an ice pick and then trying to judge a beauty pageant.

Yes, similar LSPI-compliant metal constituents to the additive packages, but we don't know how those are delivered or what non-metallics are present either.

As I said in the other thread, using a UOA to try and compare oils is like stabbing your eyes out with an ice pick and then trying to judge a beauty pageant.
😵‍💫

Back