Planning the next oil change using HPL

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
Since I now have a stash of HPL oil + some M1 oil I need to figure out my next (very soon) oil change. One scenario includes 3 quarts of M1 + 1 quart of HPL EC + 1 quart of HPL 5W-30. Using that scenario, would using the cleaner + the HPL 5W-30 result in excessive cleaning, be too strong?

If I were to use the M1 with the cleaner, I'd want to buy another single quart of M1, which I'd rather not do, and that's why I'm thinking HPL EC + HPL 5W-30 + the three loose quarts of M1. However, if appropriate, I'll buy a single quart of M1 ... it's not the cost that's a factor, it's my storage situation coupled with a concern for keeping subsequent changes organized.

Since I now have a stash of HPL oil + some M1 oil I need to figure out my next (very soon) oil change. One scenario includes 3 quarts of M1 + 1 quart of HPL EC + 1 quart of HPL 5W-30. Using that scenario, would using the cleaner + the HPL 5W-30 result in excessive cleaning, be too strong?

If I were to use the M1 with the cleaner, I'd want to buy another single quart of M1, which I'd rather not do, and that's why I'm thinking HPL EC + HPL 5W-30 + the three loose quarts of M1. However, if appropriate, I'll buy a single quart of M1 ... it's not the cost that's a factor, it's my storage situation coupled with a concern for keeping subsequent changes organized.
Is there a recommended ratio or mileage for the HPL EC? I must say, I like the way you think, and I am sure I will be of no help as to your situation.

To use up your current inventory, I would purchase 1 quart of Mobil 1 to make a full oil change with Mobil 1 + HPL EC. Run that 2000-2500 miles. Then run HPL PCMO from that point forward.
I think that's what I'll do. That's the direction I was leaning even though I didn't want to invest the time and $$ for a quart of oil. I'll grab a quart of M1 in the next day or so and get the oil changed first part of the week.

Still, I'm curious to know if running the EC with the regular PCMO HPL would be a problem in any way. Dave mentioned that the EC has gentler/milder cleaning power compared HPL's regular oils, so I can't imagine it being a problem, but .

I’m interested in you reporting back how the engine cleaner works for your application. I’m planning on running it in my Accord during this OCI (draining a quart of current full and adding the cleaner), followed by an interval of their premium plus 0w20. I am hoping it cleans up some of the top end varnish I noticed recently.

I think that's what I'll do. That's the direction I was leaning even though I didn't want to invest the time and $$ for a quart of oil. I'll grab a quart of M1 in the next day or so and get the oil changed first part of the week.

Still, I'm curious to know if running the EC with the regular PCMO HPL would be a problem in any way. Dave mentioned that the EC has gentler/milder cleaning power compared HPL's regular oils, so I can't imagine it being a problem, but .
Shel. You will be fine either way you choose.

David

I’m interested in you reporting back how the engine cleaner works for your application. I’m planning on running it in my Accord during this OCI (draining a quart of current full and adding the cleaner), followed by an interval of their premium plus 0w20. I am hoping it cleans up some of the top end varnish I noticed recently.
I don't think I'll be of much help. I've no plans to open up the engine (remove valve cover) to do any comparisons. I've never looked under the valve cover and haven't any idea what the engine looks like. The best you'll get from me is a report on the color of the drained oil and maybe a pic of the filter. I don't expect the engine to sound or feel any different, but if it does, I'll report it here as well. That's the only info I'll be able to report, and, IMO, it says little or nothing about what's really happening inside the engine.

I'm using the EC because I trust David and HPL, because I was gifted a quart of the EC, and because it satisfies some desire to treat the Camry better than the previous owner did.

There are numerous reports here on BITOG with pictures and details that would be more compelling than anything I can provide.

Last edited:

Doesn‘t want to “invest” money in a quart of M1.

Buys HPL.

I‘m missing something...

What makes you think you think you need special oil?

I am running the EC for a full 5k in the 3 vehicles I have it in. You may want to consider it as others have mentioned they are doing it as well. I would do the M1 and EC first. Good luck w it.

The same reason why some people choose to eat at a high-end restaurant. No one “needs” it, but…

Exactly. We should all just eat McDonalds. Why consider anything else when McDs passes minimum standards for edible food?

Sell what you have and head immediately to Jiffy Lube to get lubed.

So he can pay HPL prices for Pennzoil?

Doesn‘t want to “invest” money in a quart of M1.
I said "time and $$$" and time is a bigger issue right now.

Buys HPL.
I got a very good deal.

I‘m missing something...
Indeed you are, and more than you can imagine ...

'cause I'm a special guy? What makes you think that I think I need special oil? You, who are thousands of miles from me, and have never met me, and have not had much, if any, interaction here on BITOG, are telling me what I think?

For emphasis:
I‘m missing something...

I'd probably call it quality oil.

At the HPL gathering, we learned some of what's involved in oil passing those minimal API standards ... even my basic Camry deserves better than that. It was nice to know that there was something more than SuperTech in my engine while climbing a 20-mile, 7% grade in 108-degree heat at a high elevation while passing several broken-down FedEx trucks along the side of the road.

To quote @OVERKILL: "What it comes down to is whether you want 'good enough' or better than that."

Last edited:
The same reason why some people choose to eat at a high-end restaurant. No one “needs” it, but…

Not even close to the same thing and you paraes my post to make it lose context. Anaywat, IMO, high-end means high quality that usually comes at a higher cost. It doesn’t have to be a napkin-on-your-lap kind of place to be high-end and/or cheap - have you ever been to a really good or really bad BBQ place, for example. Even the really good little guys charge an arm and a leg, at least around here, because so much work goes into it.

Along the same vein, the best steak I’ve ever had in my life was at an expensive restaurant, Le Celier in French Canada Epcot - melt in your mouth good, cooked to a perfect rare; the worst was at The Outback Steakhouse, which was recommended by multiple coworkers - over-cooked each time, with my favorite cuts always tough as hell and without any flavor. This was based on multiple visits to each - I never rate an experience based on less than two tries unless it’s absolutely god-awful.

//

I would say a more appropriate analogy would be to purchase a significantly more expensive car over an equivalently reliable, top-trim offering from a reputable make. “That Palisade sure is nice, but all of my friends won’t respect me if I’m not seen in a G Wagon!”

I said "time and $$$" and time is a bigger issue right now.

Buys HPL.
I got a very good deal.

I‘m missing something...

'cause I'm a special guy? What makes you think that I think I need special oil? You, who are thousands of miles from me, and have never met me, and have not had much, if any, interaction here on BITOG, are telling me what I think?

For emphasis:

1. Why is time an issue? Why would you give it as an option if it’s not really an option due to time constraints? Also, this is just my opinion, but no oil change is really THAT time sensitive unless you don’t routinely have access to the vehicle or it’s out under very specific abuse that might rapidly degrade the oil, e.g., racing.

2. You got a better deal on HPL than M1? “Very good“ needs context.

3. Quality oil? M1 is not? Not knocking HPL; simply questioning the way you posted your question and your options. Why would a Camry need better than a high-quality standard oil? What is your use case for justification.

If your Camry is being treated so well, why the need for a specialty, boutique cleaner?

4. You’re asking us if you can mix oils when a quality maker, HPL, has an account on this forum. Ask them about mixing first. Also, when you’ve been on this forum for so long, it’s odd that you didn’t do your own research before posting. I’m not attacking you with this; I’m honestly flummoxed.

5. Why the need to manually quote me, then later use the forum’s quote feature for “emphasis”? I asked a question and you answered as someone who doesn’t have an answer - burn on me, I guess…

Back