Alternate thoughts on using HPL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been following the HPL threads with great interest. There is no doubt in my mind that this oil is superior to "off the shelf" synthetics. I have questions as to whether the extra expense is worth it.

A bit of background:
I have been changing the oil in my 2015 Lexus GS350 with 0w-20 Mobil 1 AFE, Mobil 1 0w-30 ESP or Castrol 0w-20 Edge extending performance at 5K intervals with oil filter change at 10K intervals since new. The filter comes out perfectly clean at these intervals. The car now has a bit over 60K miles.

At the last oil change, I added one quart of HPL engine cleaner in place of one quart of oil to do a bit of engine cleaning. I will be changing the oil and filter at 5K and repeating this process for one additional oil change. Here are my questions/thoughts in order of increasing expenses.
1. This alone should be sufficient to clean anything left behind in previous oil changes and I will just continue what I was doing initially.
2. Go back to my initial oil change protocol, but substitute one quart of Mobil 1 or Castrol with HPL super car oil.
3. Run one oil change with HPL super car formula for 10K and then go back to what I was doing initially with the addition of one quart HPL super car per oil change (or not).

I realize running the HPL oil for all future oil changes would be ideal but at approximately $120 for each oil change this would be about twice the cost of the above mentioned oils. It is only twice the cost because I figured in changing HPL every 10K and the previous synthetic oils at 5K.

By the way, I drive about 15K per year.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Why not look at their product lines that are more affordable than the Super Car one? Unless you live in Winnipeg, you can get away with not having to worry about the Group III bases used in the other oils.
I did look at the Premium Plus version, but it is only a $10 difference for 6 quarts. The least expensive version does not come in 0w-20.

$25/bottle cabernet vs. $60/bottle cabernet.

I THINK the gallons are cheaper? I'm going to tag Dave here, he can probably provide some more guidance @High Performance Lubricants
0W20 only comes in Premium and Premium Plus. Their "standard line" of engine oils is the best value, IMO, at under $12/qt shipped. Do you really need a 0W-xx?

I have been following the HPL threads with great interest. There is no doubt in my mind that this oil is superior to "off the shelf" synthetics. I have questions as to whether the extra expense is worth it.

A bit of background:
I have been changing the oil in my 2015 Lexus GS350 with 0w-20 Mobil 1 AFE, Mobil 1 0w-30 ESP or Castrol 0w-20 Edge extending performance at 5K intervals with oil filter change at 10K intervals since new. The filter comes out perfectly clean at these intervals. The car now has a bit over 60K miles.

At the last oil change, I added one quart of HPL engine cleaner in place of one quart of oil to do a bit of engine cleaning. I will be changing the oil and filter at 5K and repeating this process for one additional oil change. Here are my questions/thoughts in order of increasing expenses.
1. This alone should be sufficient to clean anything left behind in previous oil changes and I will just continue what I was doing initially.
2. Go back to my initial oil change protocol, but substitute one quart of Mobil 1 or Castrol with HPL super car oil.
3. Run one oil change with HPL super car formula for 10K and then go back to what I was doing initially with the addition of one quart HPL super car per oil change (or not).

I realize running the HPL oil for all future oil changes would be ideal but at approximately $120 for each oil change this would be about twice the cost of the above mentioned oils. It is only twice the cost because I figured in changing HPL every 10K and the previous synthetic oils at 5K.

HPL has 0w20 and 0w30 in Euro flavor which will come in around $100, but I wouldn't waste it on a 5k oci unless it's a time thing (i.e. annual oil change).

With a bit over 60K miles on the clock and 5K synthetic oil changes with a new filter every 10K, using oils you mentioned I can't imagine there is much of anything to clean up. FTR there's nothing wrong with giving HPL a shot if you're so inclined.
This^^^^^^^^^^^. Makes sense.

0W20 only comes in Premium and Premium Plus. Their "standard line" of engine oils is the best value, IMO, at under $12/qt shipped. Do you really need a 0W-xx?
Don't most 0w's have a better base oil to reach the 0w spec? If so, I'd pay a little more and get a 0w spec oil.

With a bit over 60K miles on the clock and 5K synthetic oil changes with a new filter every 10K, using oils you mentioned I can't imagine there is much of anything to clean up. FTR there's nothing wrong with giving HPL a shot if you're so inclined.

If I read correctly the OP has a bit over 60K miles on what appears to be a well maintained engine. Unless there is something radically wrong the oils he used should have kept the engine clean for those 60K miles. With 200K miles we have a completely different story. Again not a bash on HPL, I'm a customer of theirs......

A bit of background:

Maybe # 3. Or you could go to a 7500 oci , with filter change, every oil change. That would be 2 oil changes per year.

I would add to this by asking what is it you expect HPL to do for you that you aren't getting now with the oils you have used? I had a hard time answering this for myself in my situation so it didn't make sense for me. I state this believing HPL is a superior oil.

I would add to this by asking what is it you expect HPL to do for you that you aren't getting now with the oils you have used? I had a hard time answering this for myself in my situation so it didn't make sense for me. I state this believing HPL is a superior oil.
This is the dilemma I face. My thought were that if the ring packs were developing some coking/carbon build up that the 10K interval with HPL would clean them out, giving a fresh start. The idea of one quart HPL to future oil changes after that would be a maintenance dose.

Reactions: wlk
This is the dilemma I face. My thought were that if the ring packs were developing some coking/carbon build up that the 10K interval with HPL would clean them out, giving a fresh start. The idea of one quart HPL to future oil changes after that would be a maintenance dose.
I could fall into this thought readily. Interested to read your post on the results. Although I wouldn't think that engine at 60k with your regime to have much if anything to clean out. If you cut your filters, how have they looked?

I could fall into this thought readily. Interested to read your post on the results. Although I wouldn't think that engine at 60k with your regime to have much if anything to clean out. If you cut your filters, how have they looked?
Fortunately my oil filter is a cartridge. I check it at each oil change after letting it drain. Never any crud noticed.

According to Dave at HPL the premium plus is mostly PAO. I have it in my truck as it is high moly. He told me i was basically wasting money in my climate buying it over the standard pcmo line.

OP What climate are you in? coldest temps ?

I live in southern New England. Low temperatures in winter 0 degrees F (rare). Normal 15-25.
Summer, 90-100. Car is always garaged overnight.

My commute to work involves a long climb over a steep hill each day. We call it a mountain but that is optimistic lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back