Pictures of a Sludged 2009 Murano with 15k

Status
Not open for further replies.
2009 Murano with about 15k, pictures are courtesy of Johnny248.

000_6846.jpg

000_6845.jpg

000_6844.jpg

000_6843.jpg

000_6840.jpg

000_6842.jpg

000_6838.jpg

000_6837.jpg

Enjoy.

Originally Posted By: cos
Is there any info on this engine? OCI, type of oil used, type of driving etc?

Most likely the factory fill was never changed.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
What prompted it being brought in for service? VVT acting up?

Johnny can better answer this question, but I believe it was because the engine was smoking.

God I love pictures of sludge. You have to really try hard to sludge an engine in 15k. kudos to the nut behind that wheel, good job sir or madam.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
What prompted it being brought in for service? VVT acting up?

Johnny can better answer this question, but I believe it was because the engine was smoking.

Look at the spark plug in the second picture, it is tough to tell cause of the light on it, but it looks like the electrode has oil deposit build up on it(alot of build up for the mileage). Seems to me like a bad valve seal, I don't see that much sludge that would of caused the seal to dry up either. Or a ring/cylinder wall problem with lots of hydrocarbons going in the crankcase would help explain the sludge. Something just seems wierd, I wonder if this motor had a problem from new, hopefully we will find out the results. Keep us posted

I'd love to know the history of the vehicle and oil and filter used. Then I can comment more accurately.

I would think even 5000 mile OCI's with that car there would be some hints of sludge after looking at those pictures. Yikes!

I can't see a factory fill run for 15k creating that much sludge all by itself. It may be one likely factor, but there has to be other things in play. That much sludge just doesn't develop that fast in an otherwise healthy engine driven normally, even on a 15k factory fill with no oil change. There is more to this than those pictures can tell by themselves.

-Spyder

Originally Posted By: Spyder7
I can't see a factory fill run for 15k creating that much sludge all by itself. It may be one likely factor, but there has to be other things in play. That much sludge just doesn't develop that fast in an otherwise healthy engine driven normally, even on a 15k factory fill with no oil change. There is more to this than those pictures can tell by themselves.

If this was a salesman who drives 35,000 miles a year of mostly highway miles, then I'd agree with you. If this was 15,000 miles of short trips and stop and go driving, then the factory fill would look like this.

Originally Posted By: tpitcher

So much for extended oil changes!!!!!!!!

I've said that a few times myself!
thumbsup2.gif
They're not for everyone either, no matter what oil you use.

I agree, something else must have been going on. The sparkplug does have a lot of buildup, I suspect rings were bad, causing fuel blowby into oil.

Heck, Nissan has 7500 regular OCIs allowed and this engine, while toughon oil, is no sludger.

My 2006 Nissan Murano with 78,000 miles has had synthetic oil changes (Mobil 1 and PP) at 7500 miles and looks clean.

-Spyder

+1.

There was a guy on this board who had a Ford diesel that ran 15K OCI with synthetic. At 19K, the engine failed and the UOA indicated coolant.

I think people are being too quick to assign "facts" to this.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

-Spyder

+1.

There was a guy on this board who had a Ford diesel that ran 15K OCI with synthetic. At 19K, the engine failed and the UOA indicated coolant.

I think people are being too quick to assign "facts" to this.

Very true, but even so shorter OCI's wouldn't have hurt, and most likely have cut down on that mess. Still we need facts to come to any kind of conclusions. I'd love to know what he had in the sump, and what Nissan said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back