Pennzoil Ultra = Best NOACK for DI Engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to March 2013 PQIA studies , Pennzoil Ultra has a NOACK of 6.6 which is almost half of other leading synthetic oil brands ! Interesting to note that as DI engines become more popular it appears Pennzoil Ultra's future may be in jeopardy ...Your thoughts ?

This is a great oil, I really like low NOACK oils but there are other high quality lubes besides PU out there that can be used. Synpower 5w30 and M1 EP (I surmise because of slightly lower VI) will work just fine. Will I miss PU for my DI? Yes, but I will use other high quality lubes.

Interesting. I'd love to hear from SOPUS as to their plans for Ultra, besides a shelf place at the Pennzoil museum.

It's my understanding that a lot of these GDI engines have a problem with dilution of the crankcase oil with fuel.

If that's the case, any oil you use in one of these is going to have its volatility increased by the fuel.

I understand you're starting out with lower volatility on a low-NOACK oil, but I can't see it being that much of a difference when the culprit is fuel dilution.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
It's my understanding that a lot of these GDI engines have a problem with dilution of the crankcase oil with fuel.

If that's the case, any oil you use in one of these is going to have its volatility increased by the fuel.

I understand you're starting out with lower volatility on a low-NOACK oil, but I can't see it being that much of a difference when the culprit is fuel dilution.

I think that is most likely the case.

Ultra is a top tier oil for sure.

Is Ultra on the chopping block? I though it just didnt have shelf space at WM anymore...

Tough to discriminate two different syn oils to people on a shelf at Wal-Mart...

I thought they were going to carry on elsewhere?

The big assumption with all this is that NOACK will correlate to less DI deposits...

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
According to March 2013 PQIA studies , Pennzoil Ultra has a NOACK of 6.6 which is almost half of other leading synthetic oil brands ! Interesting to note that as DI engines become more popular it appears Pennzoil Ultra's future may be in jeopardy ...Your thoughts ?

Half? As in other synthetics are at 13+?

Amsoil SS 5w30 is NOACK 6.9, 10w30 is under 6 so your source is incorrect.

Originally Posted By: Kuato

I calculated it, both PU and Amsoil SS 5w30's NOACK is on average about 38.7% lower than other motor oils tested in the PQIA's synthetic oil round up.

I guess we can consider 11.3% away from half (50%) "almost half" as the OP mentioned.
confused2.gif

Also PU 10w30 NOACK is 4.8% which is also under 6% as with Amsoil SS 10w30.

Both Amsoil SS and PU SN are exceptional oil's. PU was easily accessible until recently where almost every store chain decided to start clearing them out.

While both exceptional, Amsoil SS and PU products are not easily accessible for the everyday consumer at common brick and mortar retail stores.

Last edited:

Didnt know Amsoil was a major leading synthetic brand as the OP suggests. I think he is referring to M1, QSUD, PP, Synpower, Castrol, ect.

I would have expected fuel in the crankcase to evaporate and be captured by the PCV system without taking the base oil stock with it, as it it substantially more volatile. In that case, gasoline vapors passing over the intake valves could be a (very small) good thing, as would a low-Noack oil.

Originally Posted By: Danh

I would have expected fuel in the crankcase to evaporate and be captured by the PCV system without taking the base oil stock with it, as it it substantially more volatile. In that case, gasoline vapors passing over the intake valves could be a (very small) good thing, as would a low-Noack oil.

I agree with you, as long as the engine oil is being brought up to full-temp regularly.

Originally Posted By: Coprolite
This just in.... Pennzoil Ultra is now Pennzoil DIamond...

New marketing targeting DI....

Interesting. Will they have a 0W20 version?
The 2013 I4 Accord has DI and use 0W20.

Originally Posted By: MikeySoft

I was just trying to be humorous, not mislead people. You have a valid question that I have no cogent answer for.

Originally Posted By: randomhero439

Didnt know Amsoil was a major leading synthetic brand as the OP suggests. I think he is referring to M1, QSUD, PP, Synpower, Castrol, ect.

In terms of overall QUALITY, Amsoil most certainly IS a major leading synthetic brand.

I was just trying to be humorous, not mislead people.

BUT... See this.

I was just trying to be humorous, not mislead people. You have a valid question that I have no cogent answer for.

no need to go Ultra for 0w20 if low NOACK if what you looking for. maybe the PP 0w20 has NOACK of 8.9 that is good enough?
PP 0w20

Originally Posted By: randomhero439

I guess we will have to define "leading synthetic brand" now.
10.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back